what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Skarrd, Oct 25, 2010.

1. DaveC

DaveC Member

Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

16:1 is way too rich. 24:1 is better for a start. Two tanks of that then 32:1. The 16:1 thing is for low quality oil or even used oil. Modern oils are much better than any Chinee oil.

They are some here running Opti oil at 100:1. That's a little thin for the old racer in me but I'll be running 50:1 with Maxima Formula K2 oil. It's very expensive at $10 a pint. I used Maxima oil when I was racing a RM250 Suzuki on a SuperKart and never had an oil related problem. Just make sure you get an oil specifically made for air cooled motors. The water cooled motors do not run as hot and the Chinee motor really needs the extra protection.

2. Toadmund

Toadmund New Member

Ha! I knew someone would say that!
    It's just something I read somewhere that said use 16:1, a lot of people do use 16:1.
    Just one more tank anyway, then I will dilute the rest left in the jug and add the lower amount of oil, post break in.

In other words I already mixed it, and I ain't un-mixing it. ;)

3. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

One thing to look forward to, if your engine runs good at 16/1 it will be a lot better when you lean it out some. I ran 16/1 in my first build, mine ran bad. On the bikes since I start at 24/1, but for each his own.

4. Toadmund

Toadmund New Member

I should be really impressed then when I switch to a proper synthetic mix, because my motor goes like a bat out of heck now.

I am using the frequent WOT and slow down method to break in, I agree with the theory that babying the motor does not seat the rings properly.

Wait a minute!
    Run better when I lean out the oil?

Or, you mean I will have to lean it (the carburetor) out some more when I go a smaller oil ratio?

#3744 Toadmund, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
  5. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

When you use less oil, sorry.

6. Allen_Wrench

Allen_Wrench Resident Mad Scientist

Today, I did nothing more with the bike than go on a *ahem* rather extended ride this evening. What with the temperature being at or near a hundred Faraheit from about 10 am until 4 pm and just plain-old blazing hot thereafter, I couldn't see doing it whilst the sun was above the horizon.
    Once I had the new tank installed, I began checking bearing grease, I re-aligned the rear wheel and adjusted the chain, checked the plug, fussed with the idle, checked my air filter, and - you get the idea.
    So today, as I was riding in the slightly cooler evening air, the bike was gliding along so effortlessly that I didn't want to get off. And the new tank being bigger, it thus holds much more fuel. I don't have the nagging in the back of my head telling me to cut my ride short anymore. I've got fuel for many miles. And she was cruising like a dream. (But I do concede: it takes a bit of work and general futzing to get a Happy Time 2-smoker to behave this well.)
    I simply MUST take her out again tomorrow. I WILL find the time.

#3746 Allen_Wrench, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012
  7. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

I had terrible night mares the other night rolled around in bed, night sweating the works. Dreamed I was a muffler! In the morning I woke up exhausted. :protfl

8. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Yeah right!
    I think that you are just blowing smoke!
    :D

9. SavageBlunts904

SavageBlunts904 New Member

I rode my bike today and my baby 410 drive chain broke. Took it off and found out that the bearings on the drive side of my wheel were gone. literally gone. Dissapointing to say the least. I knew i had to get a HD wheel and have a bigger chain already. Just wanting to go out soo bad made me neglect waiting on my shippments. :( Few more days and im back on it!!

10. fatdaddy

fatdaddy New Member

Sorry to hear it Savage. The very first thing I do on a build is the H.D. rear wheel thing. You can even run a cheapo chain if you make sure it's alighned and lubed,(a good chain is better,) but a lightweight wheel will get you every time.
    The next thing to do, if you haven't already, is to get a sprocket hub adapter. Driving the wheel from the spokes it just NOT a good idea, Even with a H.D. wheel. A rag joint may last a while, but you WILL be replacing spokes down the road.
    fatdaddy.

11. fatdaddy

fatdaddy New Member

12. matman55

matman55 New Member

i stole the front tire off my huffy and put it on my schwinn
    Thats like puting a fiat 500 engine is a train the way i see it.

13. chrisme

chrisme New Member

Changed the crank seal today, and now my bike is happy and runs again! :)

14. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

I detailed mine and put fresh brake pads on the front rotor. That was all it needed. Sat and stared it over. Detailing is good for that. Harmony checks need to be thought of eventually. Leads to any preventive maintenance. Then I road it! :)

15. killercanuck

killercanuck New Member

Broke my crappy vice trying to flatten out a rear kickstand due to my chain stays being 1" tall... Time for an upgrade I think :p

[​IMG]

Note to crappy vice users, don't crank on it with a 1" wrench... it ain't your Daddy's real vice eh. :p

16. chrisme

chrisme New Member

I got a heavy duty vice at Home Depot last year. I cranked down on it so hard that I broke the top of the wood workbench. So that's a good brand to get. Hah.
    It was only about $65, too.

17. killercanuck

killercanuck New Member

Heh heh, right on Chris. I'd rather the bench snap to kindling than to have to replace a vise. Of course while puttering on a bike I headed over to go clamp something..."oh wait" *facepalm* Vise-Grips can only do so much, eh?

I'll check the swap meets first for one I can't lift :D

18. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

Good to not hear the you have a sore foot!

19. chrisme

chrisme New Member

ahahaha. At the time, that was the last thing I was worried about. I had already smashed my hand.

I'd just limped my car home from crashing it, and I had the front suspension in the vice, beating it with a hammer trying to straighten it out.
    So needless to say, I wasn't in the best of moods... I did, however, get it straight. And the car to this day still drives straight down the road...

20. fugit

fugit New Member

Ok did a few things :)

I added performance carb from JNMOTORS....

I added an expansion chamber with header. (Needed header for clearance on peddle).... Not sure why I did this other then to say to the other motor bikers in town that mine is bigger than theirs :O

I added Shimano rims....

I added a 40 tooth sprocket with three piece adapter from sportsman flyer....

I added Monark II Springer Forks....

I added some orange type rear brake pads they really grab too....

I removed tensioner by just adjusting motor mounts (manic mechanic) a bit works good so far...

Attached Files: