Metal throttle grip mount?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Allen_Wrench, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Allen_Wrench

Allen_Wrench Resident Mad Scientist

Lately I've been trying to remember where I saw this metal handlebar throttle mount. I had one made of plastic with the kill switch built in, but I'd rather not use it on my Higgins build. The Higgins will be a beauty when I get done, the plastic throttle mount would be like a pimple. The simple, low-key metal one would be perfect, But I can't remember where I saw it. Anybody else see these? Please help.

2. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

3. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

NAPA has a dead simple all-metal one, but the grips need replacing 'cause they're torture devices lol

NAPA part # 7-03921 $11 or so...

[​IMG]

4. RocknRoadPirate22

RocknRoadPirate22 New Member

This is the one I got. Haven't installed it, but it looks and feels pretty awesome. and it was only like $20.

Sick Bike Parts

5. msrfan

msrfan Active Member

I also prefer metal throttle assemblies. I've found quite an assortment of different kinds on mopeds. They look vintage and work great. Heavy duty straight pull with smooth action. Most will acommodate a small brake light switch and some have extra levers for the choke. Not needed items can be trimmed off and smoothed over. The housings are aluminum and can be polished. Availability depends on your location. I get mine from a local moped shop and ebay.

[​IMG]

6. Allen_Wrench

I think I found exactly what I was looking for. It was at Bikemotorkit.com. But now I'm torn, 'cause I like the one you presented also, Barely. I have a feeling it is possible to go extremely vintage-looking with the Higgins build. The only visible plastic the bike will have in the end will be (maybe) the grips. I thought about making custom grips from PVC and covering them in sculpted foam, then using heat-shink tubing over that. That way I can make nice, really long, old-style grips.

Attached Files:

7. yodar

yodar New Member

Nobody mentioned the nice ones , all alumiumumumum at SBP

yodar

8. Erich_870

Erich_870 New Member

Uhhh, RocknRoadPirate22 did!

9. Allen_Wrench

The almighty dollar has spoken. Barely, I have you to thank. I liked the ones at NAPA as soon as I got a good look at them. (They let me handle them there in the store.) And after tax they're about $15. The other metal ones from Motorbikekit.com are "less aesthetic" and are nearly $30 before tax and shipping. And the local NAPA had some right there in stock. I like this mount better than any other I've seen so far. Thanks Barely! :)

10. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

NP mang, NAPA has ton of oddball stuff lol - I never knew they had things like twist throttles & even 'cart parts till I got a hold of their "master" catalog :p

I like the moped setup msrfan posted & was after somethin' like that for my last project, but got tired of lookin' for just the right ones, there's not that many mopeds 'round here & I too like ta poke at stuff before I buy it if I can heh

11. LS614

LS614 New Member

You inspired me, I just ordered a pair from them myself :D Thanks Barely!

12. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

No worries lol - TBH it's some ol' cranky guy named "Dan" where I work that pointed 'em out ta me in the first place, he was sick of me ranting 'bout how I couldn't find a vintage lookin' throttle and slapped the NAPA master catalog down, gruntin' "I s'pose you've not bothered to look in here huh" :oops:

Jus' passin' it on... ;)

13. fall_down_stand_up

fall_down_stand_up New Member

I remember back in the day when the kits came with the metal throttles....
    John

14. thine82

thine82 New Member

i cant find the the metal ones on sbp... i dont mind the plastic ones but the inside plastic peice where the cable connects , well that has broken on me before so i need and want to get a stronger set up.. any ideas... gotta stop to napa when i get a chance. or a local shop if there was any around here.

15. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Napa throttle photos.........

Attached Files:

#15 Dave31, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  16. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Napa throttle mounted.........

Attached Files:

17. LS614

LS614 New Member

Looks nice. I have one too and I sure do like the look of it. What kind of grips did you use in replacement of the torture devices?

18. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

I replaced them with the stock specialized grips that came with the bike.

19. LS614

LS614 New Member

Nice, I was wondering if they would fit, my lbs has a set, might get them...

20. "the prussian" Shop Dogs

Had good luck with napa setup , the only thing is that some have a little overcast that needs fileing off for smooth operation . No big D takes two min.
    Got idea from ships wheel to whip my last set with cord.
    http://db.tt/zFy8XjY