Automatic Choke trouble

GoldenMotor.com

Dalek Kevin

May 4, 2024
I'm new in the motorized bike realm, and on forums. So, pardon the rather large set of antlers I might not notice...
I'm not that new to engines. Got a carburetor, no particular name, that has an automatic choke that opens at full throttle. There is nothing wrong with how this works once I figured out how it worked.
The previous carburetor was a black-intake stock thing that had a bad thread on its throttle slide cover mechanism. Other than falling apart every few miles, this one worked. Pipe tape helped get ~ a tank of gas in between putting the slide back together.
But this automatic choke abomination - aside from starting up flawlessly - sucks every other way. Power is down, way down, over stock. The RPM's stay high for some time after I cut the throttle to nothing, even when I have the idle screw all the way out and there's no way for it to get air. My in-skull visualizer says that the jet is a constant flow device that will puddle the fuel ahead of the throttle, and the throttle on this thing is floppy like crazy by design. Before I go and buy another carburetor, I'm going to have a look at a worst-case & check for case cracks, I doubt because it still sounds good.
Before I buy a new carburetor, is there a fix?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm new in the motorized bike realm, and on forums. So, pardon the rather large set of antlers I might not notice...
I'm not that new to engines. Got a carburetor, no particular name, that has an automatic choke that opens at full throttle. There is nothing wrong with how this works once I figured out how it worked.
The previous carburetor was a black-intake stock thing that had a bad thread on its throttle slide cover mechanism. Other than falling apart every few miles, this one worked. Pipe tape helped get ~ a tank of gas in between putting the slide back together.
But this automatic choke abomination - aside from starting up flawlessly - sucks every other way. Power is down, way down, over stock. The RPM's stay high for some time after I cut the throttle to nothing, even when I have the idle screw all the way out and there's no way for it to get air. My in-skull visualizer says that the jet is a constant flow device that will puddle the fuel ahead of the throttle, and the throttle on this thing is floppy like crazy by design. Before I go and buy another carburetor, I'm going to have a look at a worst-case & check for case cracks, I doubt because it still sounds good.
Before I buy a new carburetor, is there a fix?

I'm pretty sure I know what carb you're using now... Those things are terrible!!
You're better off getting another stock carb.

Dalek Kevin

May 4, 2024
I'm pretty sure I know what carb you're using now... Those things are terrible!!
You're better off getting another stock carb.
Yup... I'm back to the one that fell apart. I added about ten feet of electrical tape, 308 TIG welding rod, extension springs, a ring from a self-exterminated hard disk drive, pipe tape... ever see someone fix a carburetor with a hammer? I should have put it on video. I wish I could make a stock carburetor start like that piece of junk! That was awesome once I figured it out.