54 Schwinn 24'' DX My Next Race Bike

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Just saw this build for the first time. Love the mounting setup...just a well thought out, clever build. I hope it does what you want it to on the race track.
SB

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Just saw this build for the first time. Love the mounting setup...just a well thought out, clever build. I hope it does what you want it to on the race track.
SB
I appreciate it sb. I've been checking out your builds and getting some ideas for future projects. They're all so cool. I really like the sidecar.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Isnt there an under 100cc 4 stroke class? He shouldnt have to race a modded 212cc...
but, but but, wait......I had to race against him and his grandson (Samford and Son) at Willow on a 49cc HS and a 124ccTandem and they were using 5-6hp Briggs and Stratton's :D We will hopefully meet in the ultimate race for a showdown spectacular! ;) I'm confident of the outcome......

dnut

no mean to threadjack, I truly love your build Dale!

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I made a simple kill switch attached to the coil. That will keep my bars uncluttered. Then formed an exhaust pipe from a piece of tubing that already had a nice elbow on one end. Still need to fab a flange to bolt to the cylinder.

My buddy, Dan, lightened up my jachshaft housing and radiused the cap for a different look.

Reactions: techicaldaydreams

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Don't worry about me....your Samford and Son is the one too race and beat, as I'm sure you know ;) You know I'll be there and we will RACE....... am looking forward to it as we all are!
Your bike is looking great, you've got skilled machinists as well as yourself....I wish you luck.

dnut

I'm really trying hard to have this ready so I can race scotto.

Samford&Son

Apr 26, 2011
Riverside, Ca
if you guys start hugging and kissing im outta here....geez you guys make me sick with all this sportsmanship crap...hahaha see you at LA GRANGE!!!!

...eat my dust!

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I made and installed a bracket for a tachometer and kill button today, but still need to hook them up and test for vibration. Waiting on a Jammer Cobra clutch to replace the Comet Torque-A-Verter that I could never get dialed in. I know, you guys told me it probably wouldn't work on my small motor, but I had to try it for myself. I can still use it on a Briggs motor.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks, Harry, I'm having a lot of fun with this one. As you know, building and experimenting is what keeps us going.

Thanks, Easy, just wanted to try something different.

haste

Aug 2, 2009
af
Bike looks great. Would puch moped forks fit perfect without needing that spacer in a vintage frame headtube?

Also did you take moped hubs and lace them into 26"

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I've used a lot of moped hubs laced into 26'' wheels. This bike has 28 spoke 24'' wheels with moped hubs. I'm pretty sure Puch forks will fit the head tube on a full size vintage bike frame. This little 24'' had it's own set of problems to overcome.