What did you do to your e-bike today?

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I thought I would start this thread where we can share some of the daily fixes and experiences from our e-bikes. The gas bike equivalent of this thread has been active for years. It also serves as a place to post when your message doesn't really fit any sub-forum categories. Share the knowledge.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Added fenders. The water on the side walk may look clear as you approach, but it looks like mud when it splashes on your clothes and electric cables. Front fender had all the original mounting hardware. Rear fender did not, so I used a window blind bracket for mounting. My mud flap on the rear was cut from some polyethylene packaging and mounted with a standard "L" bracket.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
well I have two 36v 700 watt motor kids one with hall effect and one without. The first one I over volted to 48. It runs great. The second just came last week, two days later I smoked it by doing the exact same thing. mike helped me figure out the controller got smoker not the motor. So I just ordered a new one. My horror story for today.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Oh yeah I built some adult training wheels since I really should not be riding a two wheeler. used some nice 8" harbor freight wheels with wide hubs and bearings. I haven't tried it out yet but I'm gonna try to at least drive way test it tomorrow.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I knew I could count on you to support this thread, Deacon. Just don't feel like you need to keep burning up controllers and motors to do so.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i started a new bag for my mountain bike, gonna try a antique black leather stain to match the bike, have the pattern all cut out and just need to get the die for it and should have done mid week, i also ordered some big apple tires and some mr tuffy tire liners for both bikes, i been getting lots of flats the last few weeks, come to find out the flats are from steel belt pieces from cars having blow outs, they look almost like little needles, had no problem when the tires where new but i have worn them out and they puncture easy. i got the liners for extra protection. putting 26x2.0 on the cruiser and 26x 2.35 inch on the mountain bike. i should have everything in by mid week. its going to be like having 2 new motorized bicycles. here is picture of the start of the bag. i also went with black tires this time, the colored ones are to much of a pain to keep clean

Attachments

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I took the Cyclone controller and throttle off the 36V bike and installed the Kelly controller and specific 36V throttle. This IS the kit we will sell. 36V is strong, 48V kicks aliens. I laid all the kit parts out, need to get some better hanger clamps for the controller, but mounting the new smaller controller will be a piece of cake. Need better lighting for photos, installation manual under construction.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I just like to building stuff. I still have the trike to run the the store even though I never buy anything. I do it just to prove I'm still able to leave my wife if she upsets me too much lol.

I have been looking for a less expensive alternative to the trike. If I ride the two wheeler with training wheels and it does okay, I'll send pics.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Pablo how about carrying a controller that is for brushless phase motor without halls sensors. I had a devil of a time finding one.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I look forward to seeing the new SBParts 36v kits when they become available. I like mid-drive kits.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
good luck Pablo you go back as far as I do lol. Not sure that is a compliment. What are we going to call the electric bikes by the way.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
good luck Pablo you go back as far as I do lol. Not sure that is a compliment. What are we going to call the electric bikes by the way.
That we do sir and I learned a lot from you and Norm. Lots of words like resourcefulness and brains come to mind.

Name? Actually nothing fancy - electric shifter kits or something like that.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
we named the china girl you and I. We need something for this class of bikes. Something like The Old Sparky. Named for the Georgia Electric Chair. Something like that would be nice.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Today I finally finished with the training wheels for my sissy pink bike. I know... I have to take some photos of it, but I finally get everything rocks solid. My training wheels are 10" cart wheels from Harbor Freight the 5/8 axle is embedded in wide angle iron from a bed frame and the supports are really heavy duty. I'm just waiting for my new controller to give it a try. It passed the pedal test.

I also built a new trailer hitch so that i could pull a battery trailer with this thing. Tomorrow I'm going to finished building a mini battery trailer. I have no idea what I will do with all this toys, but I plan to ride one of my ebikes as often as possible this winter.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Installed an alloy center stand on my e-bike. It's surprisingly light and my old side stand just couldn't do the job.
With the fenders installed and throttle repaired, i'm ready to commute to work on it again if the weather cooperates. Alas, looks like we will be getting rain every day until Thanksgiving.