Villiers beach cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Harry, Glad to hear that the bike is doing so well and you got to get a long ride in.

The Villiers is going to be the first build when I get home having seen yours. Think it will be a trike to match the side car I have. Just hope that it turns out nearly as neat as yours.

Thank you for being one of the Villiers pioneers.

Steve.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks Steve, i rode the bike again all day today, i had other stuff i should have been doing but this is too much fun.

The bike is still performing perfectly and ive done a ton of riding..... only thing to report is a broken front spoke, and i tied it off to the other spokes until i get another.

The bike gets such a response, EVERYONE seems to stop what they are doing and look, its probably got something to do with the fact when its at speed its quite loud.... most people just have a stunned look. Haha..... but today i went to the shops on it and as i parked it i heard a guy call out from his car "hey how old is that bike?", i replied "well i made it, but the motor is old", then he said "that looks like a Villiers"...... i was surprised he knew what it was. He said he had a mower with the same engine and he said they are rare as hens teeth.... i told him they come up on EBay fairly reguarly..... anyway he was very interested and wanted to know how all of it worked..... pretty cool.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hey Wilrod what oil ratio do you run in your bikes? 16:1? Im mixing 16:1 and the plug color seems fine, but my engine barely smokes yet when i see the engines on youtube they seem to be quite smoky.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
How awesome proud and happy you are. I would be to thats one beautifull bike. I just love them hand made espially with one of thoes old time engines............Curt

wilrod

Jul 20, 2011
Horsham, Victoria, Australia
harry the old lodge plugs are pink and branded "LODGE" ,two stroke mix i run is 30:1 and the oil i use is GRO racing-1 full synthetic i get it at motor cycle shop its $30 a litre but its the best i have come across its made in SPAIN and those guys know how to make 2strokes go and last . 16:1 was the recomended ratio back when these motors were first made but that was using normal old engine oil (often used ) and the motors sufered from carboning up and loss of power oftern intermitantly ,the carbon builds up and somtimes detonates resulting in suddern power gain , pedle asisted take offs are the norm with most auto cycles 4 or5 brisk turns of the pedles then engauging the clutch is the methiod used by most autocycle riders for quiker take off at trafic lights keep peddling after ingauging clutch. Thats why they are called motor assit and not motorcyclesauflg

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks guys... ill try and get some good oil, i used to like motorex oil when i used to ride motorcross.... Im running 16:1 at the moment and the plug color looks about right and my bike barely blows any smoke, do you think its safe to run 30:1? Id imagine ill pick up a fair bit of performance by cutting back the oil.... it does bog down sometimes, maybe too rich.

Yeah ive found i have to throw a pedal in before i shift into gear, it can be a little tricky with the low seating postion, trying to pedal and shift at the same time but im getting used to it. And im riding the clutch a little more to keep the revs up which is helping a lot.

I went for another big ride today. I was stopped on the side of the road when some old guy said "they are illegal dont you know? You will get a ticket",then i saw 3 police cars and they definitely saw me, one pulled up right beside me ( i was going fast but just started pedalling) and they kept pace for a bit then turned off, so far so good

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey harry, what a great video. I had no idea your bike would perform that well. I did suspect it is pretty bulletproof, and it sounds great. Congratulations on a great build.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks msrfan..... yeah it is bulletproof, i havent stopped riding it, (which is why i havent finished Kellys bike) and it has performed perfectly, mainly thanks to you and your advice on that top primary drive plate/guide thingy. Without it the bike was unridable, now its sweeeeeeeeeet as.

These engines arent fast but so nice to ride and ive seen many police and no trouble, in fact ive had thumbs up from them, so im really keen to use my other engines, seeing as im tall id like to build a more ridable bike (more upright position) for those longer rides. And maybe rather then a handshift ill do a similar setup but via a cable and handlebar lever....And i plan to use these as my transport to work on clear days.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Harry,
With the modern oils, as used in the new dirtbikes, 32:1 of almost any kind of two-cycle mix oil should be just dandy.

Of course you should pay attention and try it out on a reasonable ride... keep an ear open to the engine noise... You should be able to tell within a mile or so. If it's bad, just shut her down and bring her back to the barn.

I just can't see running at 16:1, myself...
Best
rc

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah ive been running it at around 30:1 and there doesnt appear to be any noises that shouldnt be there, however i didnt really notice a power gain like i thought i would have, cutting out that much oil

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
The bike is still performing perfectly, i havent stopped riding it and everything seems to A-Okay. And ive done a helluva lot of riding, there are no vibrations or odd noises. It sounds and rides like a little motorbike.

I added a washer to the muffler which took out the slop in the muffler. Its now a lot quieter then the video.

Im really enjoying riding this bike so i think i will add lights to ride at night (i hadnt planned to). Ive got an antique brass light i will use......... im not good with electrical stuff, and the last light i made for my bike wasnt really bright enough.

So my question is there are many cheap LED lights out there, what should i look for in one of these lights? Im willing to spend up to $50 for a high quality one if they are in that pricerange...... any ideas?

MB Dave

Mar 25, 2011
Australia
You could use a cree light from Hong Kong FLEAbay for about $10, that's with postage. See if you like it. If not I'm sure you can find a use for it. They are damn bright. And damn cheap.

Here is a couple of pics of one installed inside a vintage bicycle lantern.

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks MB Dave but i think i wanna start riding it to work, and im currently on afternoon shifts and finish at 11.30 PM...... and it said the delivery time from Hong Kong was a couple weeks so i might just go out and buy one from the shops today.

I had this old bicycle lantern and was planning to use it on another project but i cant get enough of riding this bike and need a light asap.... and my other lantern wont fit with the springer forks.

So i will convert this light to LED

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
It was an absolutely beautiful day and as usual i took my pride and joy out for a ride.... youve probably seen too many photos of this but it was a gorgeous day. In Australia we are coming into summer and its starting to warm up. Soon it will be unbearably hot, but for now the temperature is just right and im taking advantage of it, and the water was like glass with no wind..... my other builds can wait :)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Oh no, I don't get tired of seeing photos of your pony, Harry. And you are right to set aside the builds and take advantage of perfect weather when you have it. That is my one regret this summer in Minnesota. We got a lot done in terms of welding and such, but precious little time spent on the lake fishing and just glorying in being inside a picture postcard of forest/lake country. We should have been out riding on our wheels more with less time building wheels. Summer is a brief thing where I live. Snow isn't gone from the ground until into April, sometimes early May. Yesterday marked mid September and a sudden hail storm interrupted the painting of my Indian... quick get it inside! Snow will arrive within the next few weeks and then the show is over here for the year (and why I go east for the winter). My resolution for next summer is to do what you did... be attentive to the weather and take advantage of it while you can. Your bike is wonderful; a pony who wants to be ridden...
SB

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks Silverbear, yesterday was a perfect day, too hard to pass up riding....... but lately any day that isnt raining or blowing a gale is too hard to pass up a ride.

And i threw some temporary lights (until i find a quality, bright LED) on my bike and drove it to work...... So far the bike has worked perfectly without fail, but yesterday on the way to work i went through my brake pads and my brakes went, which was scary. I thought they were just glazed over and removed them at work and found my pads were gone. I may need a different compound, or hook up my front disc brake. Something id rather not do if possible, i may just check my pads more often.

And upon leaving work my bike didnt want to start, but realised its my primary belt had gone slack..... its still the original cheapo belt i threw on and planned to replace so ill just replace it..... no biggie