Villiers beach cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Im thinking my bike is running fine but as its the only Villiers powered bike ive ever ridden im not really sure if everything is working to its potential.... and got me thinking that i should probably line my sheave with rubber to get a better grip with the v-belt...... anyone have any ideas how i could achieve this? Glue? Wire? Rivets??????

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The part that is used to cover the spokes on a rim to protect the inner tube is rubber. Maybe glue to hold in in place. Also I have that rubber coating stuff to redo tool handles called Re-Grip I think.... bascically same as the samller cans of paint on rubber wire insulation/moisture proofing stuff.

I have just about gotten over the flu since a week ago so I am gonna be getting to working on my bike build again.

I was for a week a the high (pun intended) desert Black Rock City Nevada for Burning Man 2011. I saw quite a few mutant vehicles. Some were bicycles no motor, but mutated to look like fish and at night lit up. This guy also had a door to open to allow getting to the the center bar of the frame and getting on the seat to ride it. The door closed and the fish covering on the frame seamed up so nice you could not tell. Welded tubes and flat stock that was so heavy I could not lift the bike at all. I'm going to try a little less massive frame add on for my eventual conversion to mutate my off road hill climber bike to a desert fish for 2012.

Measure Twice

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Harry,
My thoughts are that sandblasting or giving the inside of the wheel a good wire brushing with a high speed wire wheel and coat it with truck bed liner.

If you had ever tried to get that off a well prepared piece of metal you would understand what I mean. Needs a rough surface to bond to though.
If there is any body who does it where you live, they may do yours when they do others.

Steve.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Harry,
My thoughts are that sandblasting or giving the inside of the wheel a good wire brushing with a high speed wire wheel and coat it with truck bed liner.

If you had ever tried to get that off a well prepared piece of metal you would understand what I mean. Needs a rough surface to bond to though.
If there is any body who does it where you live, they may do yours when they do others.

Steve.
Thanks Fasteddy, i do recall you suggesting that a while back. And you may well be right. It will be far easier then trying to attach a piece of rubber that would naturally want to fly off. And i think it would be a stronger finish then the rubber coating Measure Twice is suggesting, which i do appreciate the suggestion.

But that stuff is dear isnt it? I might have to check it out. It doesnt need to be done immediately as its still fine without it.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Harry,
Not sure of the cost there but if you have someone do it when they are doing someone elses and it is prepared so all they need to do is spray it as they spray another job it may well be reasonable. I call and ask and tell them it will be roughed up and taped off so they just have to spray it.

I'd get some tough paper to cover the rest of the wheel since if it isn't right they will have to do it and charge you for it.
You can buy it by the can here and brush it on and save time. I've seen it at $30 a tin but then what do you do with the rest of it after your finished?

I'm darned sure that it will be wear proof in the long run.

Steve.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks Steve, I think i will just buy some and do it myself..... this wont be the last bike i build, (i got this bike building thing BAD) so im sure ill end up using it somehow somewhere down the track....

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I took my bike to do some real "board track" racing today..... speeds were low and the boards were actually concrete but i wanted to take my bike there...... not mch fun though really. My bike was missing at full throttle so my speed was fairly low and this track was massive..... it would have been a lot of fun with other bikes on the track though. I will go back with a new plug and primary belt (the one now is stretched and like jelly) and maybe when ive finished my other bikes...... id like to take my "whippet" build to this track to ride.

Motorized bicycle board track replica velodrome - YouTube

Heres Kelly reluctantly sitting on my greazy bike, and she did get grease on her LOL

I really need a trailer ha?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Is the belt sliping? 50 years ago I used to have a Monark twin and all the Wizzers I have seen none have a lining in the sheave's Just bear metal but they are also v-shaped..............Curt

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Im not sure that the belts are slipping..... in fact how do you actually know when they are slipping? This is my first belt drive bike so im not sure.

If anything my primary is slipping at the moment, but thats because its still the original $5 cheapo belt i put on it originally. Its like jelly ATM so i went back to the shop that sells v-belts and the owner took a liking to my bike and said he would ring around and find the best belt to use. He said because my tensioner pushes on the backside of the belt it MAY make a difference to the choice of belt, if not he was going to get me a kevlar belt.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Sounds like belt grip.... if so i have a can and have tried it..... it didnt really make a difference, but did make a bit of a mess.....but like i said: im not certain that my secondary belt is actually slipping. I just thought id eliminate the question of traction

Cam Nz

May 14, 2011
Whangarei, New Zealand
I would say the main reason is because the rear pulley is not in the shape of the "V", so its not really wanting to grip very well, and im guessing your having to use a lot of tension to tighten it up, which is dragging the motors performance down .

Not sure what i would suggest actually, wider belt?

Cheers, Cam.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I would say the main reason is because the rear pulley is not in the shape of the "V", so its not really wanting to grip very well, and im guessing your having to use a lot of tension to tighten it up, which is dragging the motors performance down .

Not sure what i would suggest actually, wider belt?

Cheers, Cam.
Like i said.... im not sure the belt IS slipping. Im getting around 60kmh when the motor is in a good mood. Which is about right. I was only just considering lining the sheave to see if it made a difference.

Can anyone answer me this? How do you know if your belts are slipping? When i take off and accelerate the motor labours, if my belts were slipping wouldnt my engine revs climb? or perhaps hear squealing of the belt?..... i experience neither of the two.

I did experience where i lost power from overtightening the secondary belt, so i have slacked it off a little and seems fine.

I just put on a high quality cog belt (which i was told for smaller/tighter pulleys) and it seems to have a slack spot (my cheapo belt didnt) so im wondering if i need a spring tensioner on the secondary????

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I might add i just got back from another couple of hour ride, and the bike still hasnt let me down..... i sometimes ride it to work and can make the commute in about the same time as driving. I do shiftwork so im thinking of investing in a decent lighting system.

The bike is a bit of a pain at the lights, with me being 6ft 3, slightly awkward pedalling position and the suicide clutch....... takeoffs are far from graceful LOL.

I plan to use another Villiers in a slightly more upright riding position build to make starts easier..... but i still love this bike and the looks it gets. Cant stop anywhere without someone commenting on it. Older people seem to absolutley love it.... well some of em lol

Cam Nz

May 14, 2011
Whangarei, New Zealand
Oh, i thought it was slipping :S

Crap 60kph!? thats a little better than i thought!!

I guess its not slipping then...

Looks great, and people keep coming into the workshop and looking at mine as well

Cheers. Cam.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Oh, i thought it was slipping :S

Crap 60kph!? thats a little better than i thought!!

I guess its not slipping then...

Looks great, and people keep coming into the workshop and looking at mine as well

Cheers. Cam.

I have no speedo but sometimes i can keep up with traffic.... but most times its probably more like 50 kmh. The motor seems to have short bursts where it runs a LOT better then other times..... this could maybe be explained by WILROD when he said its a carbon build up (i think) or the fact that i havent yet replaced the sparkplug.

And that figures quite good considering im 6ft 3 and just under 100kg so i feel a lighter rider would definitely hit an easy 60kmh.

I have possibly geared my bike a little high as it can be a pain to take off but i put up with it to get that top speed.

And im riding it daily and so far no troubles from the bike or the police.

Cant wait to hear your bike Cam, i think mine sounds nice..... yours is going to sound twice as good.... and twice as loud