Villiers beach cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
You get a good look at the clutch in his 3rd picture....Do you think its the original clutch? It doesnt look like the clutch i got with my reel mower. I think i may pull apart my mower and have a better look at my clutch, or maybe take pics and see if any of you more mechanically minded guys might have more of an idea..... i did actually wonder whether the mower clutch could be used but i figured it wouldnt be strong enough.

Definitely looking forward to seeing your pics, i definitely need a kick in the butt at the moment to get mine done, and seeing yours progress will help. Get those pics on here Cam

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I just had another look, and its actually the 4th picture that you get a good look, im thinking it is a centrifugal clutch because i cant see a clutch cable or clutch lever????

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Id been having problems with the primary belt not slipping when i wanted it to, i.e i couldnt pedal it without engaging the engine. And because of this i couldnt start the bike (i havent fixed the kickstarter to work yet... the teeth need tidying up). So i made a guide out of stainless, i figured this would be less abrasive against the belt then steel. It was a little tricky as i had to miss the carb.

Anyway i got it done and it works perfectly, now when the clutch is out it pedals like a bicycle again

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
So now thats fixed i took it for a ride. YEEEEEEEE HAHHHHHHHH. Its not a rocketship, but more then fast enough and i couldnt get the smile off my face the entire ride. And some of the looks from people was priceless. The clutch worked fine and im guessing i got it up to around 60kmh. Very very cool. I have a few little issues, my fuel tap is leaking and also my exhaust, but i still havent sealed the exhaust as i planned to have it out again. Now i can fix it and do a couple other things. But i am wrapped with the first real ride. Im going to get a new plug, this is the one that i got with it.... looks very old.... gotta love these engines..... still going.... how many chinagirls will still be running in 70 years????

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Oh, that's just wonderful! I mentioned on your other thread this morning that your build is one of my all time favorites on this forum or anywhere. It looks terrific and sounds good, too! And to think it is all from a wee 1/4 hsp motor, too! (wink). In my mind now I have named it Harry's "Quarter Horse". In this country it is a type of horse, on the small side known for agility and speed... a good all around rider for horse/cattle work. If your bike ever got fenders (probably not) I'd find an old fender ornament of a running horse or a horse head. You got yer pony, Harry!
Hi ho Silver! Away!!!! (What the masked Lone Ranger would call out at the end of a cowboy movieas he galloped off into the sunset. Woohoo!
SB

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks SB, i quite like the name Quartrer Horse..... who knows, i think the bike may look better with a little subtle striping and maybe some faded tank graphics.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Good show Harry. Glad to see your on the road at last and 60KM is darned respectable from a 1/4 horse motor.
Must be the gearing ratio.

The bike has a wonderful look about it. Once more the bar has been raised another notch.

Steve.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks guys.... im very happy with the bike..... and today i rode the wheels off it. I rode it for around 5 hours and it never missed a beat, i do think i need to buy a plug for it though. It has its moments where for some unknown reason it seems to have more power and i can get up to 60kmh (speed limit) but most times it lags a bit and runs around 50kmh. Its slower off the line then a 50cc Chinagirl and will take off without pedalling but its slow and needs s couple pedals thrown in..... but once it gets going its soooooooooooo cool, sounds way better then a chinagirl and vibrates way less and you get the feeling it could do it all day everyday whereas i was almost waiting for my chinagirl to detonate half the time i ride it.

My only real problem is with my fuel tank, its leaking from the thread where the petcock meets the tank, i think the steel i used wasnt thick enough for the thread i tapped.... i have temporarily fixed it with good old soap.... but im wondering how i can fix that? Is there a fuel resitant loctite or sealant i can use? Is plumbers thread tape fuel resistant? Or is there some available? Any ideas?

Some pics while out on my ride today..... im itching to ride it more but its dark. Im running my bike without its stand as i need a better way to secure it while riding.....

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Im also thinking of maybe adding some racing style scallops on the tank in white and the color of the wheels and then age it with some steel wool...... What do you guys think?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I should add that i havent even bothered to line the sheave with rubber or leather or paint the inner surface...... and i still only have the cheapo v-belts on atm..... so the belts may be slipping so i have plenty of improvements to make if i wish to

And i adjusted the clutch twice which is very easy (loosen/tighten 1 bolt), i adjusted it too tight and it ran worse, then i put it back

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I guess you've answered whether or not the Villiers Midget has enough power for a motorbike. Sounds to me like it's just right. I think sometimes the little boy in us gets carried away with wanting to go too fast, putting too big a motor on what is at heart a bicycle. It is so natural to want to go fast... I still feel that urge at 66. In a way I think we need to have our own internal "governor control" and keep things sane. Faster and we should be thinking motorcycle or car. I think yours is just right.
Which does not mean I don't wanna see and hear what NZ Cam's Double Trouble can do with two midgets in a row... ha!
Nice photos, Harry.
SB

wilrod

Jul 20, 2011
Horsham, Victoria, Australia
Well done harry looking real good and great to hear you have been riding the wheels off it, sorry have not been on lately ,had bit of trubble with the ol ticker two weeks confined to bed rest going stir crazy , need a huge dose of shed time china girl will pick up revs quicker than the villiers because it is a shorter stroke motor but the ol villiers will picup allmost from an idle , yes and keep on plodding away , all day every day! now if the plug is an old pink coloured LODGE plug just clean it and set the gap and put it back in modern plugs arent nearly as good if you are looseing spark it is most liklythe condenser (like most 70 year olds they start to loose thier spark) YOU CAN REPLACE it with an automotive 12 volt one and make sure the points are clean and set correctly lastly villiers need to be de carboned from time to time makeing sure to clean out the ring lands on the piston and de glaze the bore with a very light hone( can be done with 600 wet'n'dry if you dont have a cyclinder hone) try a plastic victor fuel tap to stop the leak they have a tappered theaded shank ken

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Sounds like great advice Wilrod..... how do i know if its a lodge plug?....... and im not sure i want to replace my vintage brass petcock, especially with a plastic one, but will resort to that if i have to. But isnt there anything i can seal it with and still keep my cool looking threaded petcock?...... At work we have a 2 part sort of metal epoxy (dunno the name) im wondering if that would work?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks SB, i must say im very interested to see how your Sachs will perform now..... as i said mine is a real pain to get caught at traffic lights because its so slow off the mark, and i dont really want to gear it lower as i like the top speed..... but your Sachs with the 2 speed box should eliminate those issues and make it an absolute dream to ride..... so im dying to see that go...... and dont even get me started on how nice your aluminium sidecar is, thats gonna be a very sweet ride.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
forgot to wish you are better soon Wilrod, hopefully your ticker is ticking along like an old Villiers and you join us on the forum very soon..... very interested to see more of your bikes and maybe share a little Villiers knowledge with us..... Get well soon brother