Villiers beach cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

wilrod

Jul 20, 2011
Horsham, Victoria, Australia
yep ! as i said from my tests 1/4 h/p so needs to be low geared to get going slugg of the mark but will wind out eventualy to a breathtaking speed of anywere between 25 and 50 mph depending on condition of motor uphill -downhill ,headwind - tailwind but its all fun !

wilrod

Jul 20, 2011
Horsham, Victoria, Australia
carnt help there harry as i don't have a mechanical tacho ,(note to self must get mechanical tacho , toolbox must be incomplete ) just got back home from a ride and was passing traffic most of the way must hook up the speedoauflgauflgxct2

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
IMO, which was not solicited :)

my bet is on 30-40kph depending on terrain for a decent start and free running engine at cruise.

I also feel a gearbox would use up considerable power which is in short supply from the gate.

Someone mentioned the circumstance with the engine design and the piston/intake port not allowing much improvement to create more HP. Probably true! Somewhere near 12:1 overall, depending on terrain will most likely be the most serviceable. IMO...

Sry to hear abt so many probs with the machine work.
rc

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
49kmh is enough to put a smile on my dial, but will it be enough to keep up with my girlfriend? LOL. I may have to weigh her bike down :)

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Well i got my pulleys back from the machinist, i gave the machinist a 2" pulley and a 3" pulley to put a thread on. And just my luck he stuffed the backspacing on the 3". He did say hed try and fix it if i left the motor and pulley with him. I said i needed the motor but may return it later for him to fix. Although after what Wilrod said i may not need the 3" pulley, that 2" front pulley should be about right.

Im dying to ride the thing, but i really need to finish Kellys bike today. So maybe a a test ride this afternoon. If all goes well i should have this bike at "greazefest" tommorrow. So i will post pics and when i get a chance ill make a video of me riding it....

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah sorry guys, ive havent been able to work on my bikes the last couple weeks. My girlfriend hurt her back and while trying to get treatment we found out shes pregnant, we definitely werent planning, and i always said id never have kids.... but ive come round to the idea and kinda excited (already have a pedalcar and sidecar/bicycle plans going lol). Anyway because she was pregnant Kelly couldnt get very much in the way of painkillers she has been in a lotta pain but is ok now.

I went to Greazefest, it was awesome. But i dint take either bike, i had about another soild days work for it to be ready, just ran outta time, and now im not rushing it. I worked up to the night before and still had wet paint and decided to not take it. And as i had been working on that i hadnt done the finishing touches to have the Villiers running.

I have the 2" front pulley fitted and tried to ride it but it now deinitely needs that upper primary guard/guide to allow the primary to slip when needed, as i couldnt even pedal the bike. I cut some stainless steel at work and just need to modify it to fit.... ive just started a 5 day break from work so hope to get all this done.

Heres where im at on Kellys bike and pretty much where it was up to before Greazefest

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Have you started a thread on your builds yet Wilrod? You should.... if you dont really want to, feel free to keep us updated with pics on this thread, i love your bikes and would love to see updated build pics or info, im sure we all would.....

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Muscle Cars and Mutant Cars... neat thanks for the pics.

I remember some car with the old time tail fins was around my neighbor hood, plates said from Oregon and was probably visiting to windsurf SF Bay, California. He had it painted to look like a fish and along with the paint hand the grill to look like a fish head!

I noticed one of those cars you posted from the feast, looked like with the kinda pipe organ look for intakes, just like I remember on the Hollywood TV program "The Munsters".

Someday my motorbike shall go back to the sea and become a fish.... well atleast look like one.... gonna try!

Measure Twice

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I was looking at the rear stand and was wondering there is no spring, or is that going on later or just not needed when it is folded... rotates up where I guess it is just inverted and sits just behind the seat on the bars there. Was wondering if it would make a rattling sound when running? Probably would not bounce out of posistion if a you go over a bump fast, but rattling?

I have looked at other post on center stands and also saw a link to ebay for a much wimpier looking stand than you made for a abou $17.00 but probably cost some more with shipping. The gokart shop didn't have these things.

If I can do 3/8 on a Mig Welder with flux core (inert gas they say less thickness) maybe I'll try a hand at something like what you have done. The weight of the briggs engine and the engine platform I made has added a bit of weight. I don't have use of the more powerful Tig Welder I used for the platform.

Maybe a can parallel a few bars for stregnth weld together and not need a higher power welder?

Measure Twice.

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah i reorganised my Photobucket account and didnt realise it stuffed my links, so now i need to reset them indidvidually.... when i get a chance.

I havent tried running it since i fitted my new pulley, i neglected it and spent a lot of time on Kellys bike so im yet to see if its better.

Cool link Cam....... i love that bike...... im willing to bet its the same builder as this bike

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

It has a very similar driveline and they are both from NZ, id love to pick this guys brain..... is he using a centrifugal clutch? I thought they wouldnt work on these engines without modification?

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Does anyone know what clutch is on the Villiers bike link cam shared? im loving that bike, and its making me wanna use my other engines. If theres a clutch you can buy for them it would save a lot of work.