Villiers beach cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Awesome link Wilrod. I got some inspiration there. WOW these old motorbicycles are just beautiful and make a new standard Harley look like a pile of dog poop. But thats just my opinion....

I musnt have seen your Willys then but i thought i had seen the plates.....

No need to apologise Wilrod, i was just as confused as you not that long ago..... but everyone here is very cool and helpful.... its awesome

MotorCrazy

Jul 22, 2011
Perth, Western Australia
Ive been stuffed around a bit by my the machinist, cant find/get to a new machinist until Monday and then he needs to finish the job. So hopefully mid next week i should have the new pulleys/belts ready to go and testride.

I also bought a 2" front pulley so now i will have a 2" and 3" front pulley, surely the gearing will be right with one of those
Yeah, hopefully she will be running, sucks about the machinist though :( i was lucky enough to score two 2" inch pulleys of a chinese 2 stroke edger, so i will use those, still dunno where to get belts though.... Good Luck aye :pbrnot

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
These motors have a tapered threaded shaft on them, so you can do what I did and just get a thread tapped onto the pulley. Probably not the best idea as the thread is taking the load. Otherwise you could pull the motor apart and get a keyway put into the shaft or just do what CAMNZ did to his.

The belts you will find at a lot of places, but to get a quality one you may need to find a bearing suppiles shop, that's where I got mine

wilrod

Jul 20, 2011
Horsham, Victoria, Australia
if you pulled youre villiers out of an atco mower make sure you keep the old dog clutch, disassemble it and the part that screwed onto the shaft can be turned down on the outside to make a paralal adapter a keyway can be cut or a grub screw detent can be drilled into this then you only have to drill your pullies to suit the adapters outside diamater dance1 ken

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Why didnt i think of that???? Good thinking Wilrod, i have 2 of those things. I will take it with me to the original machinist (he was very good) that i went to and see what he can do for me. Thanks so much...

So are you presently building a motorized bike, or do you have plans to do one? Or are you just happy with the Excelsior? Love that bike

MotorCrazy

Jul 22, 2011
Perth, Western Australia
I woulda done that Wilrod, but i didnt have the actual mower the engine was on, i was going through dads shed and i found a shelf down the back with a 4 stroke Villiers, The Midget, and a few other cool little engines, just working on some ignition parts for my Midget...

wilrod

Jul 20, 2011
Horsham, Victoria, Australia
1938 francis barnett .............. undergoing restoration
1942 malvern star autocycle (green/creem ) ....unrestored origial and purrrs
1946 excelsior autobyk ..............fully restored and flys
19teens styled project ..98cc villiers slopper 3 speed g/box belt primeary belt drive 26"wheels w/wide white wall tyres english type front springer forks buffalow horn type bars frame and tank remanisant of1913 Excelsior X ............. ken dance1 auflg

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
1938 francis barnett .............. undergoing restoration
1942 malvern star autocycle (green/creem ) ....unrestored origial and purrrs
1946 excelsior autobyk ..............fully restored and flys
19teens styled project ..98cc villiers slopper 3 speed g/box belt primeary belt drive 26"wheels w/wide white wall tyres english type front springer forks buffalow horn type bars frame and tank remanisant of1913 Excelsior X ............. ken dance1 auflg
Very much looking forward to photos of your bikes... awesome!
SB

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
What Silverbear said....

I have no idea what some of those bikes are but i have a suspition im gonna like em, a lot.

Hey Wilrod, do you make your way up to Queensland for any car shows events? And do you take thes bikes most times? Id love to see em..... what sort of reaction do you get from "car" guys?

Cam Nz

May 14, 2011
Whangarei, New Zealand
Hey Harry, its sad to hear of your troubles with the machinist, i hope you didn't pay him a cent for what he didn't do!

My offer is still open for machining, if you can throw it over the ditch!

A Suzuki DS80 bottom end/gearbox could suit your gearing needs, villiers made 4 speed seperate gearboxes that went in behind the motor as well

Cheers, Cam.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hey Cam, yeah i did pay him when i first went there and it all looked good. Then i got to my car and thought i better check. So i gave the stuff back to him to redo, and when he finally ordered me from his shop i was that angry i did a little yelling back and then left..... what i should have done is refused to leave until i got my money back. So i had to buy another $20 to replace the pulley he butchered, plus the money he charged me.

I just couldnt understand his logic, part of his argument was he was hard done by because he paid $80 for taps to use....... So what? Not my problem..... his lathe probably cost around $10,000, that doesnt mean im responsible for the purchase of his lathe.

To be honest i think he had no idea what he was doing and was just waiting for a reason to not do this job..... so why did he accept it...... i wasnt twisting his arm lol

I should have taken u up on that offer of machining. Oh well..... the first machinist i saw was a real genuine nice guy and charged a reasonable amount and i was more then happy with the job. I might go back and see him tomorrow and see if his lathe is fixed.....

Hows your bike going? I take it you have been busy with other things?

A gearbox would be nice but i dunno if im mechanically minded enough to mate up 2 engines unless they are a direct fit????

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I thought id take some pics of this guys "handy work". I dont know how well it shows up in pictures but its not good at all. And im being kind there.

Heres what the first machinist did. Very nice threads full distance :)

Heres the so called "machinists" "attempt". This site frowns on profanities so i will refrain.

He did have this threaded on the motor when i turned up, and said it was right to go. Now if i hadnt checked and trusted him or known to check (some people mightnt) how long would it have lasted do you think? Thats pretty dangerous and irresponsible of him to say the least!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont you think?

And YES you are indeed seeing what you think you are on the below picture. The threads on one side are nearly non existant.

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I took the pulleys back to the original machinist, hes really busy and said itd take a week.... im happy to wait after the last machinists efforts, so hopefully ill have it up and running next week and that will give me another week to get it sorted out to take to Greazefest, a ratrod style show coming up. Ive entered this and the Briggs ladies build. I better get building then.....

I have some time off work after Wednesday so i should have time to get it done....

Cam Nz

May 14, 2011
Whangarei, New Zealand
Villiers made a four speed gearbox? Oh boy...
Sure did, for there trail and road bikes, neat looking units as well!

Hows your bike going? I take it you have been busy with other things?
Quite, i am finishing my car project so that i have something to drive

Im still wondering why he has machined the face and stub of that pulley, i mean im looking for tricks or the trade and it seems he may have gripped it on the outside of the pulley with the three jaw chuck/with external jaws and bored the centre hole, whether he got the wrong size or was rushing or whatever it doesn't matter, he f%^&d it up before he started tapping it, and i see no reason to machine the face of the pulley and the stub of the pulley, i am guessing he assumed that it was going on an industrial machine, and he was just stuffing around.

If your doing a job that requires a special tap you usually do charge the customer, but I don't usually because they are expensive and no doubt ill use them somewhere else anyway.

Either way he sounds like a wanker, but at least he isn't taking you to small claims or anything

Good luck mate,

Cheers, Cam.