Villiers beach cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
That was my guess Harry but didn't want to speculate as to why. Not our business.

The only reason I'm doing what I am is a small inheritance, and sadly I just stood at the train station and waved goodbye to the empty cash car.
Ah, now the ugly reality is setting in.

Silverbear is right. How often have I missed the deal of a lifetime only to have something better and cheaper show up when I could do something about it.
Far,far too many times.

Steve.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Well today was a schmozzle!!!!!!! I went back to the machinist (not the same machinist i first used, his lathe was broken) that had my front 3" pulley and was meant to put a thread in it to suit the engine. He said its all good......I picked it up and took a look, NOT HAPPY AT ALL!!!!!!!!!! He stuffed up the thread, it looked useless. He said he could weld it up, and redo.....i said dont bother ill buy another. So i went and bought another, down $20. I gave it back to him to redo, but now im regretting that move. I should have just taken it to someone else, we will see how he does this time. dang i should have just bought the tap and did it myself

And it didnt end there..... today i also picked up the pillow bearings/pulleys fromt the bearing shop and the so called 5/8 shaft i had done for my Briggs Ladies bike build, from the same machinist. When i got it home and tried to fit the 5/8 shaft into the 5/8 bearing i was dissapointed to say the least that it didnt fit. Whacked the micrometres out and its over 16mm (5/8 = 15.785), so i took it back and he tried saying he made it to my dimensions..... well i asked for 5/8 and this aint 5/8..... FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!! And to make matters worse i look at my pillow bearings and the mounts they supplied..... guess what?....................... Wrong size bearings for those mounts....... darn it i usually check these things, now i got a 30 minute drive each way to return em

So today i hoped to have the new lower gearing on my bike and have a test ride...... well theres 2 things i wasnt responsible for on this bike: machining and bearings for the jackshaft...... and both the bearing shop and machinist have stuffed up. Whats that saying?..... If you want somethimg done right....... DO IT YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Harry,
Sorry to hear about the screw up. Sounds all to familiar to me and I'm sure a large amount of people on the forum.

How someone could mess that much up is incredible and they are still in business? He has the parts and your instuctions and still gets it wrong. That should boggle my mind but it doesn't.
Maybe I've grown used to it.

Think I should go hug my machinist but he's kinda knarly and probable wouldn't understand.
Hope it all gets straightened out but what a shame that you have a set back such as this.

Steve.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Today I had some of that, but not quite as bad as your conundrums.

I got a MIG Hobart Auto Arc 130 and find that the spool to 8 inch size is an option. I have to get the optional adapter to use big rolls, otherwise only 4 inch size.

It does flux core and there is a cup but just slightly different than the gas cup for inert gas MIG and it was not in the box. (I’ll call Hobart to have them get me the missing part and maybe if I can milk the system get the option to use big 8 inch rolls, as a freebee, at least free shipping if I cannot get it locally, they can put it in the same mailing?)

*******found out the gas cup included for soild wire, flux core wire cup not included, so I buy it at the shop as well as the spool adapter when it gets there on order now****

I thought maybe since I got the gas conversion kit and it includes a spool of solid wire for gas, I’d have enough cups (1 from the welder and 1 from the adaption kit) to try the welder out. I know that I can’t use the big roll since I don’t have the option, so using the size 0.030” wire is out (I have tips for 0.030).

They included a sample small roll of solid wire in the adapter kit, 0.024” wire. Great I am thinking. Then I look for matching tip and I have from the same adapter kit with 0.024 wire, but the tips that are in the same box are 0.023”!!!

****************found out from both Hobart and the shop that these are compatable*****
They did thread OK. Numbers not the same close enough with clearance OK***

The good part is that when I got to the place to buy the gas bottle, I only had to twice have to correct the sales guy on the price of the fill. I found regional telling me prices are the same at the dealers.

I was closer to one and had checked the price at the other first. I figured before I would go there I would call and verify this with the second place. The guy did not honor the price and did not like the idea of hearing that first fill after bottle purchase is half price.

I called the first store again to check. I found the price 10 dollars less regular price and also since first fill at half that cost one time still to be the case.

I got to the second store and while I was there the guy twice ripped up the receipt as twice he tried to charge me both things that I said the other store would honor.

F*^()&%.... the same company, why such %&*!

Measure Twice

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Well it just gets better..... I went back to the machinist today, who was meant to fix my oversized 5/8 keyway shaft (for Briggs build) and the 3" pulley (Villiers build) he was meant to put a thread in, again!!!!!!!

So ive asked is my stuff ready....... he said yes, sorta..... he said he fixed my keyway shaft but needed my motor back to recheck the offset for the pulley. He already had the 4" another machinist did, so not sure he really needed it but i said ok........ while im talking to him i realise the 5/8 bearing doesnt slide all the way down the shaft. I point that out to him and he angrily replies "nobody had 5/8 rod"..... not really my problem but i said "if you couldnt make a 5/8 shaft you should have said so and i could have gone elsewhere"..... he goes all red and tells me to get my stuff and get out with a few expletives thrown in.

Now wait a minute, i asked for a 5/8 keyway shaft and gave dimensions for length of rod and keyway. Now he just used 16mm (bigger then 5/8) rod and cut a keyway in it, and screwed up a $20 pulley and he has the hyde to yell at me and order me from his shop. I used all the restraint i had not to just grab this guy by his throat and shake some sense into him. I did feel a little better by calling him a few choice names that i thought applied to someone as stupid as he was. And he didnt appreciate me telling him to read up on his lathe skills, but maybe start with the basics til hes got a clue.

So now i have to find another machinist (may go back to original guy and see if his lathe is fixed now) and get all this work finished, probably wont get a chance to do that until Monday.

RANT OVER i fell a little better now.....

wilrod

Jul 20, 2011
Horsham, Victoria, Australia
hi guys love the build im doing somthing very close to this style myself, thats how i found this forum 3 days ago started reading and get to page 25 only to find one of my bykes beat me here !yes the excelsior autobyk , so have now joined the forum once again top job Ken

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Wilrod, i know your bike. Very very cool. Your friend wrote into a car mag for advice, and i also seen a picture of you :confused: riding your bike at Phillip Island Custom Nationals. Welcome, love your bike man..... how does it go? Can you start a thread on here, there would be many interested in seeing it. And id be very interested to know the deatails of your driveline and gearing....

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
harry76 yes that was me down at the island and the personalised plates are the same as my willys hotrod ken[/QUOTE

Wilrod = Willys Hotrod...... now i get it, i thought those plates were for the bike and it was registered..... can u register it?

Also wondering what sort of response your bike got at Phillip Island? Its very cool but did it get the attention it deserved.... im taking my bikes to a hotrod/ratrod show (Greazefest) in a few weeks.

Whats your bike like to ride? How fast does it go? If you could start a thread or post pics on this bike it would be greatly appreciated, and feel free to post your Willys somewhere, heres fine if u dont want to start a new thread.

Who knows maybe ill see ya at the custom nats next year....

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hey Harry, i decided i better make me an account here and follow your build. So hows she going?
Ive been stuffed around a bit by my the machinist, cant find/get to a new machinist until Monday and then he needs to finish the job. So hopefully mid next week i should have the new pulleys/belts ready to go and testride.

I also bought a 2" front pulley so now i will have a 2" and 3" front pulley, surely the gearing will be right with one of those

wilrod

Jul 20, 2011
Horsham, Victoria, Australia
harry im lucky ! i have my own lathes, milling mach , metal rolls, oxy, arc and mig plus the usual aray of grinders, drills, air tools and hand tools .These are all tools of trade i need them to earn a living( i build custom cars 40 plus years so far) but they are handy when i want to make another toy. Now here is the best tip for anyone who does not have access to this array of tools !Go to your local newsagent and find out who regulary buys the model engineering mags and get to know them their sheds are usually ful of tools just like mine these tools and there use is there hobby ,most of these guys are retired and are more than happy to machine bits and pieces for a small fee! ( cutting tools ,coolant,power, all cost money especialy when youre retied) kenauflg

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Whats your Willys look like? I think i can remember seeing a Willys with those plates.... has it been in mags or does it visit car shows?...... Let me see if i remember correctly.... is it blue?..... or is it many different colours? I have a feeling i have seen it but could be wrong

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
You need to put your pics on a site like "photobucket" and then you just need to copy the "IMG CODE". Its quite easy, and if i can do it, anyone can lol