Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Wonderful sidecar pictures Zoran! :D

I've had an interest in Finnish 'kinneriauto' for some time now and one in particular which was brought back from the dead, rebuilt and is now named 'Ajatar2'. I found some further photos taken before the rebuild began which show some useful details.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
============================
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Anne,
[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Your photo cut from film (at point of one minute and 19 seconds) show us quite well that any configuration of three-wheeler (both 1F2R and 2F1R) could be turned on a side - if we want that or are not careful enough? In that situation, four-wheeler should be on its side, too!
--- ---
BTW, in a few days ago, we discussed practicality of 3-wheelers and 4-wheelers... There was a note that 3-wheelers have 3 wheel-lines, too (trails, traces) and 4-wheelers just two of them - some advantage...

Our older discussion was about "
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]sociable"[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] 3-wheel vehicle, meaning motorcycle with side-car, but driver and passenger(s) are in side-car! Therefore: 2 wheel-lines (trails, traces) and 3 wheels!

A few photos of old DIY project are attached! Good classic-loocking body for some HPV velocar?

[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Zoran [/FONT][/FONT]
I like this a lot!
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thank you Anne,

Fantastic as usual. It looks to be a fairly simple frame to build as does the body and with a hub motor it would be a great get around vehicle. Could be a two seater with tandem seating.

My son is a really good fabricator and welder and he will be here for Christmas and with luck he'll be here for a month. He's easily bored so I believe it's his old Dads duty to keep him busy.
I'm thinking it would be nice if he were to help with the frame and suspension for the velocar but I'll wait until he gets here to spring that one on him. At least I have the plans drawn up.

Steve.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Ciao Anne!
Kinneris was always cute and practical velocars!
I am wondering if they used ordinary bicycle wheels, or some kind of heavy-duty?
I was thinking about tandem seating layout, but if both persons have pedals - vehicle must be too long! Could be something shorter with higher seats, so rear set of pedals is under the front seat?
Ciao,
Zoran

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
I thought you'd like that Steve :) Sounds good too that you're going to have a skilled welder nice and handy who will be looking for something to occupy his time.

The weather here is trying to be warmer, though the nights are still very cold. We've been having some really nice blue sky days lately too, but again it's still cold enough to make trying to work outside not much fun.
I'm spending time planning and plotting as well as ordering steel sections and other bits I'm going to need. Once it's warmer I should be set to start working on my own velocar. My old Hercules tricycle has been very good to keep me mobile, but after Winter's done it's going to need an overhaul and further modification.
I've had my own share of health issues over the past few months, but I'm sure I'll be feeling better once it's warmer.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Ciao Anne!
Kinneris was always cute and practical velocars!
I am wondering if they used ordinary bicycle wheels, or some kind of heavy-duty?
I was thinking about tandem seating layout, but if both persons have pedals - vehicle must be too long! Could be something shorter with higher seats, so rear set of pedals is under the front seat?
Ciao,
Zoran

Hi Zoran, most kinneri seem to have used ordinary bicycle wheels as would have been found on the usual well made bicycles available at the time. Most kinneri were built with side by side seating if more than a single occupant was needed to be carried. I would think that a tandem layout would make for too long a wheelbase and mounting the seats higher might make for stability issues.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
More Chocolate,that is KOOL. I like that simple and the engine would be cool in a bike with other power,Thanks for sharing .............Curt

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
=============================
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Anne,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Very inspirative film for anybody that want to build replica of Mochet Velocar!
Interesting that it didn't have any kind of suspension, or I missed something? As originals were not made for such big people as I am, nor for so heavy couple – some 200 kg ~ 440 pounds: two of us and light breakfast food and drink for excursions...
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I attached sketch of original Velocar with dimensions – and with some of my notes! I would need bigger car – in length! Cabin should be wider, but the distance of wheels could be the same, even narrower! Interior cabin should be between front and rear wheels, so could be wider a little: not interruption of wheels and that part of cabin! Front part could be narrower for bigger angle of wheels turning – up to 40°: shorter turning circle... With some tricks of seats position (my wife is shorter than me), it is possible to have wheel-base shorter than 175 cm ~ 69”... Probably that I would leave distance of rear wheels the same as of the front![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]As I often said, no need for exact replica, neither in a style nor in technical solutions! All four wheels should be attached by bicycle's forks – on both sides of axle! Everything should be used from present quadricycle. Maybe central cabin should be made of plywood-monocoque, or fabric over light wooden frame on metal chassis that connect front and rear wheel-supports...[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Still – just food for mind![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Zoran[/FONT]

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011