Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
It's a Brutsch Mopetta, there's a 50 on the left just driving that one wheel.
-------------
Ludwig,
That was one of the first "bubble-cars" that I saw a photo many decades ago, except "regular" BMW Isettas that could be seen on Belgrade's streets...
I think that it is one of the craziest, too! Only, I couldn't be sure that I would find enough of place inside (too big body of 188 cm and 114 kg).
Nice to see photos and sketches of chassis - for the first time.
If I am not wrong, there were produced as replicas in UK for some short period?
Ciao, Zoran

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Designed by Herbert Austin, the Wolseley Autocar No.1
------------------------
Ludwig the Second likes to give us clues and riddles, so we should find solutions what is about?
But, I like to research and interent is golden mine for that. So, after some time I "discover" that Autocar No.1 was Woleley's second motorised car of delta system (one front wheel and two at rear) - as motorised wheel-chair... Wolseley's first car was of tadpole type (two wheels at front and one at rear)...
What one should be better as modernised velocar? Who knows - but probably Autocar No.1 - more place for pedals...
Ciao,
Zoran

Attachments

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
-------------
Ludwig,
That was one of the first "bubble-cars" that I saw a photo many decades ago, except "regular" BMW Isettas that could be seen on Belgrade's streets...
I think that it is one of the craziest, too! Only, I couldn't be sure that I would find enough of place inside (too big body of 188 cm and 114 kg).
Nice to see photos and sketches of chassis - for the first time.
If I am not wrong, there were produced as replicas in UK for some short period?
Ciao, Zoran
The pictures of the chassis are very informative and I must admit I always wondered what those tiny cars had under their bodyshell. It's the coldest part of our Winter at the moment with heavy frosts so I'm not working on anything at the moment. And as well as that my health hasn't been good, but despite that I've been laying in stocks of steel for when the weather is warmer. Three wheeled vehicles are what I'm concentrating on these days due to my health issues and I've got a head full of ideas I want to try.

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Hello Anne,
Quite strange thing: for 10 days we had here in Swiss high temepratures (upto 40°C), high mositure in the air (around 70%), without wind - not usual weather for Bern and around... Do you have snow anytime at your place during Winter (our Summer)?
--- ---
For a few decades, I prefere all variants of three-wheelrs, from a few reasons: they are quite unorthodox, they are practical and simple, they are cute... Now, I prefere 4-wheelers, almost from the same reasons, but the most important: for two of us heavy pensioners, four wheels are more stabile and more durable then just three...
--- ---
I suppose that we saw this video about 3-wheeler "Stan's Velocar", but anyway:

https://vimeo.com/83502203

I watched it a few times and I am stil not sure if it is propelled just by pedals? - two photos are attached!

Then, a few videos with interesting motorised quadricycle: two models (one quite rude, another modified a lot):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15bMGNOg21I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5Ue0xAA_c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7UH0ZfXKx8

- two photos attached!

Sorry if anything is reposted!
Ciao,
Zoran

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Thanks for the 'Stan's Velocar' link Zoran, - I like that video clip :) I've seen it before but I'd lost the link to it.

You know me Zoran, if something with wheels on is unusual then I'm keen on it; - which is why I'm so fond of three wheelers I suppose. Those quadricycles are interesting, - I've seen them before, but it's nice to see them again. Once the weather warms up I'll be tinkering around in my workshop again and who knows what I might come up with ;)

Attachments

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
My future velomobile will have four wheels for some of the same reasons Zoran mentioned, and a few others:
- Greater stability. Rarely will I ever need to worry about inside-wheel-lift on turns.
- Damage prevention. If the old jalopy in front of me drops a sharp, rusty part in the middle of the road in my path, I can straddle it. I won't be worrying about my center tire. A road full of potholes is also less of a nightmare. (We have no shortage of potholes in Indy.)
- Ease of maintenance. On a tadpole trike, if you get a flat tire you will need to unbolt the wheel and undo the chain. Then, once you've fixed or replaced the tube, you will need to bolt it back in straight and true. With a four-wheeler of the sort of design I am following, I won't even need to take the wheel off.

The only disadvantages are:
- slight increase in weight.
- slight increase in drag.
I'm okay with that.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Cool video, love the car. The Austin Healy sports car is like one I had back in the 1960's. Loved that car, but sure wouldn't mind the old timer. Is that an Austin Seven? I don't know the old British cars very well. Thanks for sharing.
SB

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Thanks for the 'Stan's Velocar' link Zoran, - I like that video clip :) I've seen it before but I'd lost the link to it.

You know me Zoran, if something with wheels on is unusual then I'm keen on it; - which is why I'm so fond of three wheelers I suppose. Those quadricycles are interesting, - I've seen them before, but it's nice to see them again. Once the weather warms up I'll be tinkering around in my workshop again and who knows what I might come up with ;)
------------------------------------------
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Anne,
[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Such simply built "[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]autos[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]" or velocars in bicycle tradition was popular from the end of XIX century up today, and probably the most practical solutions... We discussed that some times ago (40 pages?).[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]That quadricycle, as one the first photo, is very attractive for me and I had in plan something like that, but made a mistake buying male bicycles instead of lady bicycles. That means climbing over frames to take a seat – not very gently for us seniors. Beside that, I planed to put seats between frames (still could do that if decided to reconstruct my quadricycle). Shown disposition of seats are quite unstable at corners or fast curve, and quit impossible if used only by myself. That was confirmed to me by users of JTB quadricycles...[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Ciao,
Zoran
[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]P.S.: That yellow-green on attached photo could give more stability, but not enough with just one person.[/FONT]

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
My future velomobile will have four wheels for some of the same reasons Zoran mentioned, and a few others:
- Greater stability. Rarely will I ever need to worry about inside-wheel-lift on turns.
- Damage prevention. If the old jalopy in front of me drops a sharp, rusty part in the middle of the road in my path, I can straddle it. I won't be worrying about my center tire. A road full of potholes is also less of a nightmare. (We have no shortage of potholes in Indy.)
- Ease of maintenance. On a tadpole trike, if you get a flat tire you will need to unbolt the wheel and undo the chain. Then, once you've fixed or replaced the tube, you will need to bolt it back in straight and true. With a four-wheeler of the sort of design I am following, I won't even need to take the wheel off.

The only disadvantages are:
- slight increase in weight.
- slight increase in drag.
I'm okay with that.
-------------------------------------
Allen,
Just to agree with you! Three lines of wheels could make problems...
However, I would always like three-wheelers, but...
Zoran

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
This old film is delightful :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdQ65uNWbvk

By the way I do sort of agree about the advantages of a quad over a three wheeler Allen, but I still seem to have this odd attraction to them.
-----------------------------------------------
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Anne,
[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Thank you on beautiful film! I was wondering if it is originally old film, from sixties, or was just made as remake of those years... At the end, there is sign BP - maybe it was old "[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]soft advertisement[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]" for BP? [/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Anyway, that isn't matter – I enjoy in every second of it. Beside nice presentation of reconstruction (Bull-nose Morris, maybe?) it gave us wonderful atmosphere of bygone era. At first moments magnificent junk-yard with classic automobiles in various states. I think that I would spend there many days just wandering around – and seating in some of the automobiles, as old man reading MOTOR SPORT (my favourite magazine in seventies)... That transport of old chassis remained me on FIAT Topolino chassis that I still have in back-yard of my old house (gave now to my son and his family)...[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Wonderful were jobs and technology in old (modern in those days?) garage, the same as old small sewing machine... Didn't like too much role of garbage-man, maybe WW2 veteran?[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]BTW, watching that dog at the beginning remind me on myself as I look in a few last years. Good thing is that I do not need to shave every morning and watch my face that has tendency to slip down covering my upper teeth (only could see them if smile as orang-utan)... Not to mention sad eyes and hanged cheeks... Only, my mouth are still dry![/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Zoran[/FONT]

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Velosolex with sidecar. Ideal for people who aren't in a hurry :)
-----------------------
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]An[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]ne,
[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Some 4 decades ago, I had Velo-Solex, maybe in bad condition, but it was quite anemic vehicle - probably not the best for side-car. Maybe lighter rider than I was then (some 90 kg) and kid in side-car (or dog?). Velo-Solex could be found here in Swiss for around 1,500 $$$ (converted from Swiss Franks). That isn't very practical solution for any project? (I would need two of them)

Attached are photos of simple quadricycle made of two connected mopeds. Quite ugly top - could be made more cutte in general.
Possibility to cheat a little: register it as 4-wheel moped with just one engine and later re-install another?
[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Zoran[/FONT]

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Cool video, love the car. The Austin Healy sports car is like one I had back in the 1960's. Loved that car, but sure wouldn't mind the old timer. Is that an Austin Seven? I don't know the old British cars very well. Thanks for sharing.
SB
It's a 'bullnose' Morris Oxford Silverbear :)

Made from 1913-1926 it was the first car built by William Morris when he started his motor company.

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=%27bullnose%27+Morris&rlz=1C1AVNG_enNZ647NZ648&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=EcehVdXZIIPP0gSV0JfAAg&ved=0CB8QsAQ&biw=988&bih=595