Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Zoran, - in my opinion quads need to have the passengers sitting between the track of the front wheels or else they become almost useless if a single occupant needs to go somewhere. Most of those quads in the photos you posted would be hopeless with a single occupant,- it would be like trying to ride a badly setup bicycle sidecar lacking any of the handling advantages of a sidecar outfit. Mochet very much defined the proper way to build a quad and being a classic minded kind of girl I completely agree :)

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
-----------------------
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]An[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]ne,
[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Some 4 decades ago, I had Velo-Solex, maybe in bad condition, but it was quite anemic vehicle - probably not the best for side-car. Maybe lighter rider than I was then (some 90 kg) and kid in side-car (or dog?). Velo-Solex could be found here in Swiss for around 1,500 $$$ (converted from Swiss Franks). That isn't very practical solution for any project? (I would need two of them)

Attached are photos of simple quadricycle made of two connected mopeds. Quite ugly top - could be made more cutte in general.
Possibility to cheat a little: register it as 4-wheel moped with just one engine and later re-install another?
[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Zoran[/FONT]

From the film 'Mon Oncle' (1958)

My Solex engine is new and is fitted on a Chinese 'Wu Yang' ladies bicycle. It's undergoing some maintenance and repairs at the moment, only with the frosty weather I've called a halt as I don't like working with ice cold spanners and chilled metal objects. Roll on Spring!
I wouldn't mind trying a lightweight sidecar on my Solex/Wu Yang, but part of my cunning plan would be to have an electric 'helper-motor' driving the rear wheel with the batteries in the sidecar. I don't need to travel very far these days and the countryside around where I live is largely flat so pottering along at a gentle pace is fine by me.

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
There is alot of negative views concerning Elio, but I still hope that the Co. can survive and make these little gems. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elio_Motors
I hope they can go into production, too. I want it both for myself and even more to have it shake things up in the American auto industry. We need something like this. However, as production keeps getting postponed I become less hopeful. I don't think it is a scam, but apparently in today's world it takes a lot in order to make something like this happen. In some ways I long for the "good old days" way before my time when everybody and his brother seemed to be jumping into the bicycle shop becoming automobile manufacturing venture.
SB

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
I must confess I like this though.....

I'd forget the plastic plumbing chassis though and build a proper one :D
-----------------------------
... or, somehting like this?
probably that a few time I mentioned that in high school (aronf 15-16 years old), I planed with my best friend to build one small motorised kart using metal 200 liter barell?
Of course, nothing of that "project": we had only barel, without engine and wheels, not knowing too much about suspension and steering, transmission etc. Not having tools, nor help from fathers (felt shame to tell them what we planed and how "found" barell) ... No money!

Some of conditions are now present, but one of them still missing!
Zoran

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Hello there,
I prepared some photos as ilustartions of my diemmas about interactive possition of seats and pedals - in a case that I will totally reconstructed this present quadricycle, or build one new velocar. Now, I have good possition, as for ordinary bicycles...
This time, just one photo shown a few days before, but with some of my notes on it!
Ciao,
Zoran

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hello there,
I prepared some photos as ilustartions of my diemmas about interactive possition of seats and pedals - in a case that I will totally reconstructed this present quadricycle, or build one new velocar. Now, I have good possition, as for ordinary bicycles...
This time, just one photo shown a few days before, but with some of my notes on it!
Ciao,
Zoran

Not to mention those seats look to be awfully uncomfortable Zoran. ;)

Velorex fun :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ju4e8mXfzA

Or you could build your own :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np0oAJSZLdw

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
---------------------------------------
Hello Anne,
I think too that such seats are uncomfortable just for seating, not to mention pedalling (more about that later)...
--- ---
Velorex was my old love when I saw the first photo of it on prague's street in regular use during sixties. Then, my brother saw I few when he was travailing across countries of Eastern Europe at the end of sixties (some youth-organisation campaign)... Most of the countries were terribly sad and grey, except Czechoslovakia – they kept some spirit and thousand of vintage automobiles on streets for regular use... So, he examine as he could strange Velorex “
auto-mobile in raincoat” as was named then... As there was a lot of JAWA motorcycles in those period, we dreamt to build one “replica” (didn't know for that phrase, yet). He changed a few JAWA motorcycles, so that was quite rear plan, but he married young and abounded motorcycling until his fifties... We didn't know too much about Velorex construction, but plan to use entire motorcycle frame at rear, as that guy making Honda-based replica did. I saw Velorex in real just two times: once from the bus going to Adriatic Sea Coast running fast in front of us and later in Hungary when we used to go shopping cheap and good food before our Civil Wars. It was on “flea market”, bringing some goods from Prague, but offered it to me for some 300-400 $$$ (they adore $$$ opposite to us from old Yugoslavia that liked German Marks). It was in quite good condition, and I had money – but, my wife would kill me if I returned home with such ugly vehicle...
--- ---
I was closed to build one vehicle in a style of Velorex (never mind for true replicas), when my son left to me good JAWA 350 and bad VW-beetle 1300, but with good front axle (steering, braking, suspension, wheels). I planed to keep frame with engine at front, with me seating behind with my legs on the sides of engine/transmission complete. Good cooling for engine and simpler commands for gear-box. I was too slow with that project, so it was abounded when I quit job in Belgrade and came here to Swiss.

--- ---
With my Internet friend John from USA, I discussed all the issues about building replica of Velorex – he wanted true replica, not something as my planed bastard. We “discovered and solved” all the mysteries and details of chassis and suspension, with getting measures from many photos and some sketches. His project is still in fridge, waiting on time to finish many jobs on reconstruction of King-Midget micro-cars (never ending affairs)...

--- --
Velorex concept could be good base for velocar, just if menaged to simplifie that cage-chassis and suspension/steering system...

Ciao,
Zoran

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013

============================
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Anne,
[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Your photo cut from film (at point of one minute and 19 seconds) show us quite well that any configuration of three-wheeler (both 1F2R and 2F1R) could be turned on a side - if we want that or are not careful enough? In that situation, four-wheeler should be on its side, too!
--- ---
BTW, in a few days ago, we discussed practicality of 3-wheelers and 4-wheelers... There was a note that 3-wheelers have 3 wheel-lines, too (trails, traces) and 4-wheelers just two of them - some advantage...

Our older discussion was about "
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]sociable"[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] 3-wheel vehicle, meaning motorcycle with side-car, but driver and passenger(s) are in side-car! Therefore: 2 wheel-lines (trails, traces) and 3 wheels!

A few photos of old DIY project are attached! Good classic-loocking body for some HPV velocar?

[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Zoran [/FONT][/FONT]

Attachments