Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Zoran, - Oh that poor Mochet Velocar, - what happened to it! I'm very pleased that it found a good home and was restored to its former glory.

I like that wooden trike Zoran, thank you for posting the link. Lots of good ideas there :)
-------------------------
Annie,
I forgot to write, but this video show us well the construction of chassis, tranmission and steering! For my taste, Mochet (and similar velocars) had too wide body and too wide distance between front wheels - because pedals are between front wheels. I would try to pull them rearward (seats too), so to keep wheels at around 1 meter distance. That would be better for bicycle's lines and paths here in Bern.
Ciao,
Zoran

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
The pictures are in English. Well said. That is a wonderful car indeed and every so often my mind wanders toward making something like that but given our out of control bureaucracy it would be a very expensive driveway toy.

He has done a fantastic job of it in my books though it may have benefited from more robust wheels he worked with what he had.

Steve.
----------------------------- --
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Annie and Steve,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Moving pictures are quite strange thing - to me, they sound as story on Serbian language?

However, text below video-clip could be summarized: guy saw photos of antic auto Benz Velo and made replica for himself! He used moped engine and need one liter of gasoline for a month! - and, produced 100 smiles with that quantity of fuel!
Imagine his happiness when cruises around in his creation, and when saw himself on regional TV news! (Russian regions are bigger than most of European countries)... I am sure that people enjoy seeing him!

I must listen carefully and maybe understand what wheels he used! They looks to me something stronger than regular MTB wheels? In text, it was said that he used bicycle’s wheels. Unfortunately, no mention of speed (couldn't be great, but for me enough) and weight of vehicle...[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]
Ciao,
Zoran [/FONT]

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I like the look of that Spira4U, but unfortunately the price puts it well out of range for this lady of slender means.

For an adaption of a canoe type body for a velocar I think this Duckboat is about my skill level (Why do ducks need a boat anyway?). Cedar strip construction is lovely but it's well outside this intrepid lady's skill set unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4eR7CUwZn4

It reminds me of an early Mochet velocar which is a body style I always liked ........

I know the pointy nosed body is narrower and not so roomy, but I just happen to like it :)
And yes Zoran I do think the later Mochet Velocars did end up being a bit wide in their front wheel track. Our local cycletrails are setup for solo bicycles and most recumbents and trikes would not be able to get through the gates. I know our local council was all paranoid about folk getting on the trails with motorcycles, but by making the gates so awkward and narrow they effectively stopped families with kiddie trailers from being able to use the trails :(

That Russian Benz Velo replica caught my interest too. Getting something like that through the NZ vehicle registration process would be just too hard unfortunately. It could be done, but the thought of going through the bureaucratic hurdles makes me tired and want to stay in bed.
When I was a teenager it was possible to build anything in the way of a vehicle and provided it could pass Warrant of Fitness inspection you were good to go. Wonderful enlightened times!

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif] Annie,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]That simple canoe and similar shaped velocar would be my plan too. Not any good qualification I have for high-craftsmanship canoe!
--- ---
I suppose that for double pedals (side-by-side, crank-axle type) for two persons, I should need at least 3 feet (around 90 cm) inside the body... So, if such pedals are in the space between front wheels - they should be some 4 feet (around 124 cm) apart each other? Too wide for my taste and local conditions. I would try to made wheels in limits of body (not wider them 100 cm), but position of pedals must be pulled back - to free wheels when turn left-right... Something as position of pedals on bicycle, but more inside. I wouldn't like to seat ON the frame, but inside frames - because of stability at corners. That should be more important when I am alone at velocar.
--- ---
Could those boat-shaped velocars had central-pivot steering: like horse-drawn karts? Some cycle-cars used such system for a few years, including the most famous BEDELIA...
Anyway, I should use bicycle's front forks for steering system. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]--- ---[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Our friend Stu from Australia managed to registered replica of steam automobile that he built for his friend – presented it as original antic automobile (historic vehicle), just had to remove disk-brakes for attest.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Ciao,
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Zoran[/FONT]

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
A Goodchild bodied trike is a lot closer to my budget than the Spira4U as well.
If I use the Goodchild boat for a velo body, the inevitable leaks won't be as dangerous.
The price of a good velomobile ($10,000 US) is still staggering to me.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
Treads= always Cool!
and I can totally dig those little three wheel cars in the electric version. About $14k for what I would want. a lot better than 80 grand x_x

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Anne,

Covering a car body with wood strips is easy. Sort of like the sculptor who, when asked how he did it, said the trick was to look at the block of stone and then knock off what ever you don't want.

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Curt, Silverbear,

I'm thinking that would be a good project to do after the motorbikes are all finished. I like the idea of no hole in the floor so it's warmer.

Steve
I have seen it were a guy took a old van out on the ice with a drilled hole in the floor and slid down a tube to the ice and fish inside the van.