Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Not that I have intentions to build something along this line, but I'd like to see it done and for the reasons you have suggested, keeping things simple, affordable and within the means of the less experienced builder. The Lifan sounds like a good candidate for an engine.

Zoran, that could just as well be electrically powered to augment pedal power, don't you think?
SB

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Not that I have intentions to build something along this line, but I'd like to see it done and for the reasons you have suggested, keeping things simple, affordable and within the means of the less experienced builder. The Lifan sounds like a good candidate for an engine.

Zoran, that could just as well be electrically powered to augment pedal power, don't you think?
SB
-----------------------------------
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Hello Silver,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]I am sure that buckboard-style light vehicle should be the simplest and the cheapest motorised quadricycle! And, one quickly built in simple workshop... As I said, body could be add later, if we want. I think that body should be flexible the same as chassis, or if it is stiff - it should be attached at three points to chassis.
--- ---
Another make of buckboard was Waltham Orient from the first decade of XX century. It was something bigger, but principles were the same. The first models didn't have any suspension at all, but later have some small and rude leaf springs. I am not sure how they managed to keep body at shape with flexible chassis, at some more "serious" models? Attached are some photos for illustration...
--- ---
Smith Flyer had so-called "fifth wheel", with light one-wheel-trailer with gasoline engine. Red Bug of the same configuration had just 4 wheels and electric-motor for power... Today, that should be simpler then some 9 decades ago? - and, more legal in Europe!

I was thinking to use as much as possible of my bicycles components, now incorporated into my HPV-quadricycle - if decide to reconstruct it to velocar with additional electric power. However, pedal-powered quadricycle could be made on buckboard chassis, too. Maybe seats and pedals should be too high to clear chassis/wooden floor? But, if chassis is lower - there shouldn't be problems? A lot to think during winter months, especially after testing my present HPV-quadricycle - the first nice days after holiday’s season...
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Ciao, Zoran [/FONT]

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
-----------------------------------
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Hello Silver,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]I am sure that buckboard-style light vehicle should be the simplest and the cheapest motorised quadricycle! And, one quickly built in simple workshop... As I said, body could be add later, if we want. I think that body should be flexible the same as chassis, or if it is stiff - it should be attached at three points to chassis.
--- ---

[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Ciao, Zoran [/FONT]
Zoran, - it's a little hard to see on the French plans, but the bodyshell attaches to the middle portion of the buckboard style chassis leaving the ends of the chassis free to flex.

By the way do you have any recent photos of your quadricycle? I'm sure we would all be interested to see them :)

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Zoran, - it's a little hard to see on the French plans, but the bodyshell attaches to the middle portion of the buckboard style chassis leaving the ends of the chassis free to flex.

By the way do you have any recent photos of your quadricycle? I'm sure we would all be interested to see them :)
--------------------- -----------------
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Annie,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Thank you - now it is more clear how to add body on buckboard! I think that once you mentioned that to me, but I probably forgot...
--- ---
Everett Moore, famous for his work on HCR (horseless-carriage-replicas) made a couple of buckboards, one with fifth wheel and one with normal 4-wheel layout. Also, he published plans for Red-Bug powered by gasoline engine - but file is too big to be attached here! If somebody interested, I could send it at private mail, or give some details. He used plywood plate as chassis/floor, with additional tinny plywood strips above, as decoration...
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Ciao,
Zoran [/FONT]

P.S.: Just found web-link to Moor'e plans that could be seen online:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/19069321/Red-Bug-Complete-Plans-Set#scribd

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Cool! - I'd forgotten about those plans Zoran :)

And Everett used plywood which makes for an even cheaper and simpler construction method. I'm a big fan of plywood :D

Me being me I should have a copy of those plans stashed away in a file box down in the archives......... (sound of footsteps descending thousands of stone steps into a vast and echoing space......)

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Ever heard of the BrownieKar before?

The Omar Motor Co.. Newark, N. Y., is manufacturing in the old Mora factory the Browniekar, which is best described as a little car for boys. It is a four-stroke single-cylinder machine, with belt-drive, wire wheels and 66 inch wheelbase, and can travel from 10 to 12 miles an hour, while an ordinary adult can lift the front end from the ground with ease. The price tag was $150. .

Those wheels look like heavy duty bicycle wheels. What a cool little car :D

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
HI Anne,glad you are back at it

Looks like a well weathered ceder strip construction,and someone took the wheels. That would make for a good light weight body,easy to form and work with. Kool car .........Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
WOW! seems like every body and his brother were making cars back them,sure a lot of them. Really neat i might add.................Curt

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
WOW! seems like every body and his brother were making cars back them,sure a lot of them. Really neat i might add.................Curt
Hello Curt,
If I am not wrong - there could be more than 800 models (208 pages with 4 models per page), with detailed information written in 3 colums! Quite big and detailed catalog for the first decade of XX century - with prices!
Was there any town without auto-building
factory or at least workshop?
Ciao,
Zoran

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Yes we're getting back into things again Curt :)

Here's a fascinating book which I think most of you will find interesting.......

https://www.scribd.com/doc/20787261...iness-Wagons-Gasoline-Steam-and-Electric-Sold
---------------------------------
Hello Annie,
Magnificent book, indeed! Early age of motorisation wasn't dark age at all, when they managed to collect so many detailed information?
It is possible to save all pages as JPG photos! (maybe one of those days) ... Many inspirational cars there for light motorised vehicles built at home?

You show one of my favourites: light veteran with diamond chassis, with two wheels at the middle, one at front and one at rear (both of single wheels are for steering). Such concept is my old love, form times that I didn't know for replicas of veteran cars, neither DIY light motorised or HPV vehicles, nor such layout of steering... In Serbia, in 1958 year, there was designed and built such micro-automobile as prototype. Interesting fact was that I knew very well one of co-designers and son of another! It was named PRVENAC, meaning the first-born.

Hmmm - maybe one HPV velocar in such variant? Could be built using components of my present HPV-quadricycle! (next time its photos, while it is still in "normal" form)...
Ciao,
Zoran

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Yes Zoran, the wonderful Autocycle Runabout :)
The manufacturer described it as a 'bicycle' apparently.

I think this sort of vehicle is delightful and I would love to own something like it. The side balance wheels also steer which made these little runabouts highly maneuverable.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
One of the many things I liked about the book was that they posted the prices. When you look at what they wanted for what was basically a motorized wagon or buggy and then what they wanted for a proper car it make it far more understandable why Henry Ford did so well with his Model T.

The Autocycle Runabout would be a fun vehicle to replicate. Pretty straight forward but the three wheeled steering may take a bit of work to get right.

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Anne
Thanks for post that book,going to save it and look at a lot. Seen a couple in there that i like and will save................AWESOME STUFF...........Curt

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy111/Wilda_Greenbough/VelocarBodyshell_zpsa7d75f20.jpg

What a great little car. It is a shame of course that it was left to the weather but it does give you an idea of how to build a copy. I can't help but wonder if it was fabric covered.

Steve.
Steve, my first impression when I saw the picture was that the body may have been fabric covered. It must've been a great little car at one time, - hopefully the present owner has plans to restore it.