Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That Ardex is sure interesting. It looks like the whole rear body section behind the seat is hinged and swings to the side. Wish I could read French. Where is the engine, up front? I see a spot under the grill for a hand crank. Could be placed either end, I guess. I like the fact that it is all weather.

When I was a young fellow I had an MGTD that had a top which snapped down like the Ardex and had side curtains with plexiglass panels that slid open to admit air. Not great, but lots better than no top. Also had an Austin Healy roadster with the same kind of top and side curtains.

Is there more information available on this?
SB

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
That Ardex looks like something a movie star would drive.
Ludwig II-There were some really cool scooters and motorcycles on the Bond site. Thanks for the link.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
That Ardex is sure interesting. It looks like the whole rear body section behind the seat is hinged and swings to the side. Wish I could read French. Where is the engine, up front? I see a spot under the grill for a hand crank. Could be placed either end, I guess. I like the fact that it is all weather.

When I was a young fellow I had an MGTD that had a top which snapped down like the Ardex and had side curtains with plexiglass panels that slid open to admit air. Not great, but lots better than no top. Also had an Austin Healy roadster with the same kind of top and side curtains.

Is there more information available on this?
SB
Well yes there is SB, but only in French. Leave it with me and I'll see what I can do.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011

So far I've found out that the Ardex had a twin cylinder 350cc engine mounted at the rear and its maximum speed was 60kph. It also had a central tube chassis and the bodywork was aluminum.
I shall keep hunting.

Further update:
Apparently the earlier prewar one had a 350cc engine, but this later one had a twin cylinder 125cc engine. That explains the low top speed. It also had a 3 speed gearbox and magneto ignition.
Suspension was by rubber block (Silentbloc) and it was independent suspension all round. It looks like it had shock absorbers as well, but I don't know what type they were.
It could carry two people and 40kg of luggage; the tyres were either 450x60 or 500x60; the front track was 1 metre 32 and the total length was 2 metres 85. Unfortunately the French article doesn't say if the '32' and the '85' are millimetres or centimetres which does make for some confusion as to the Ardex's actual size.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The Bardahl is very jet age. I remember when Bardahl oil was still sold in the states.
Making a 4 door from a Porsche 928 is just wrong. The 4 door 928 looks like an AMC Pacer.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

So far I've found out that the Ardex had a twin cylinder 350cc engine mounted at the rear and its maximum speed was 60kph. It also had a central tube chassis and the bodywork was aluminum.
I shall keep hunting.
A 350 cc rear-engined three wheeler with aluminum bodywork? Hmmm. I'll bet I could do that, and make it a little more spritely that 60kph. A Honda CB350 or CL350 engine should be good for that. Hmmm, ideas...ideas....

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
A 350 cc rear-engined three wheeler with aluminum bodywork? Hmmm. I'll bet I could do that, and make it a little more spritely that 60kph. A Honda CB350 or CL350 engine should be good for that. Hmmm, ideas...ideas....
A Honda CB350 engine would absolutely make it fly. :D

I've edited my post above as I've managed to translate the specs and have added more detail.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
More seriously, I've got a couple of Honda 250 singles here from wrecked quads, made to take a shaft drive, pushrod, easy to work on ( but there a Honda so you won't have to!)
Come with an oil cooler, centrifugal clutch, and reverse.
Surely this will get one of these little contraptions up to 100+ Kph, and sound great too.