Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Ade Ward is a really nice guy; - he used to work for various racing teams in Britian, but now seems to enjoy spending his time building accurate replicas of vintage cyclecars. That little Chater-Lea cyclecar is an absolute beauty, but he had to sell it to fund his latest project which is to build an accurate copy of a Brooklands record breaker known as the 'Jappic'.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That is interesting. Looks maybe home made. The little boy as passenger looks like he has the engine for a foot rest. And that is a jump seat in back? I always wanted to ride in one of those for some reason I now can't remember. I don't think I could get in or out of one anymore. Too late...
Can't tell for sure, but it looks like instead of a steering wheel he is using a tiller deal or handlebars... look's like a brake or clutch lever is visible.Pretty neat, though!
SB

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The Ilo trike appears to have a nice big starting handle. Above and behind that is the probable brake for the l/h wheel, doubling as a hand brake. The badge on the side implies a brand name like Fuchs or Fox or Wolf.

The family could be German, but there is no guarantee of that. The style with the forks out front, and the fact of an Ilo engine tend to tie it to the German sphere though.

I wonder if they're Nazis in Paraguay? :)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

That little kook up there is a 1955 Grataloup. It's a one-off, and in some ways the best kind of one-off: it was built by the clever and talented Monsieur Grataloup near Lourdes, France, and used as his daily driver. The guy had an idea for his own car, he actually built it, and then used it, every day. That's the dream, right there.

It's surprisingly well put-together, especially when you realize it was built by one guy in his garage. it uses a mid/side-mounted Villiers Mark IX 1-cyl., 2-stroke engine from a BSA motorcycle, which makes all of 7.5 HP. There's a separate gearbox, driven by a chain, from a René Gillet motorcycle, the clutch is connected via three belts, and the final drive to the rear wheel is by chain as well.
http://jalopnik.com/sometimes-you-just-want-to-drive-a-motorized-frog-1449416796

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It does look a bit like a frog... I like it a lot! It looks well made, solid, practical and has terrific visibility and doesn't really look home made. Looks factory and also looks like something that should be manufactured today.
SB

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The Grataloup may well have had a Villiers, but your informant, Barelyawake (or may I call you Bare?), was incorrect in saying it came from a BSA. BSA never used Villiers, and immediately after WW2, joined in the global piracy of the DKW125 engine to create the Bantam.

Off the top of my head, BSA, HD, Yamaha, Mi-Val (Italy) SHL, WSK(Poland), IZH, Fujitsubo (no, I don't know anything about them), as well as the East and West Germans continuing their own legitimate production.

Grataloup sounds like some sort of shredded melon to me. I just thought I'd mention that.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Grataloup sounds like some sort of shredded melon to me. I just thought I'd mention that.[/QUOTE] Like something Gallahger would use the sledge o matic on