The Rise of the Electronaut's

GoldenMotor.com

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Okay you win, if you must, but I can say that since humans are given 5 senses, hearing is one of them, if you can hear something is coming or going, you know it's there and can avoid collission with said object in a situation where it it otherwise un-sensed.

I drive 100 miles every day on the CA freeways and encounter a lot of lane-splitting bikes on my journey trying superman maneuvers in order to not be slowed by the auto traffic moving slower than their desired speed. I'm very observant toward other motorists and motorcycles and am very observant of the projected path of my vehicle, especially when changing lanes or taking a blind corner... That being said, I have noticed that it is important for a bike to have an audible alert to its presence, either for slow oncoming traffic or fast passing traffic, because a motorist cannot always be pasted to their mirrors or assuming a road blockage around every bend or during every lane change maneuver.

Loud pipes save lives, and silent bikes should sound their presence in some fashion to slow incming traffic, whether it be on foot or in a car, as well as alerting drivers on roads without bike lanes that a slow moving blockage is to be expected around blind corners, so that appropriate avoidance maneuvers can be executed.

This is especially important with motorized bicycles which are faster than pedestrian traffic and pedal powered bicycles in most situations, as well as slower than most autos and motorcycles on the open road. Perhaps sound can be replaced with bright lighting that flashes or whatever, but sound has the advantage of traveling around corners.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
On the surface the loud pipes save lives argument sounds reasonable, but otoh being able to avoid an approaching danger, because you could hear it coming makes even more sense to me. I think we used that excuse to get rid of the helmet law in Texas LOL.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I can say that since humans are given 5 senses, hearing is one of them, if you can hear something is coming or going, you know it's there and can avoid collission with said object in a situation where it it otherwise un-sensed...
...interestingly this is exactly my point - but again, I'd far rather trust my own hearing then someone else's. This is where the argument breaks down as the ones least likely to hear anything at all would be the loud pipe advocates themselves. So in a way it's endangering oneself by limiting one's own awareness, the sense of hearing - in the hope that someone else might both hear it and take heed.

That's not a trade I'd be so inclined to make TBH ;)

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I dunno, unless you're legally deaf... Hearing an oncoming motorized vehicle moving at high speed is a no-brainer. YIELD!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
A lot of times I'll be driving along in my work van. There's a lot of rattling noise inside it from all the parts, and tools I have, and half the time I have the radio turned up loud enough to drown it out. Any exhaust pipes loud for me to hear farther away than right next to my door, would be obnoxiously loud for anyone else. If they're relying on me hearing them they're probably going to be sol. They'd be better off being able to hear me, to avoid what I'm doing.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Change lanes around a blind corner and run them over, it happens around here on a daily basis. Momentum = Mass * Velocity!

A fully loaded work van could do a gripload of damage! rotfl

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
When I get a electric bike I will report the differance. ''Honestly'' While we are bashing pipes I am no where remotly as loud a Harley lol. Thats obserd loud. The lungs on my 49cc just is not the same. My machine just Idling would be completly drowned out next to said bike Idling too..

My hybred bikes don"t make picture frames rattle on the walls in my house. Have freinds on motorcycles come over sometimes.

My trick is very simple . Ride respectfull. Gosh beleive it or that is God fearing Christian to me. The right thing to do. How ever I can blip my throttle and be seen . That means somthing to me.

I get what folks are saying about stealth. Yet IMHO can't beleive that is safer.

20 mph may just be the maximum safe speed? like some one here just said. I have seen way too often when I was at my most behaved and did nothing wrong what a cager can do. We must all ride as if we are invisibe. At 20 mph there is a better chance I can shut things down in time?

This really is a Honest concern with me. I do not have any problem with a silent bike other wise.

Shoot someone can step off a curb in front of me! Could be kids or any one even an old dog.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I would put a super bright LED strobe headlight for daytime riding as import if not more important than a helmet which are both just under the most import thing, good front and rear brakes in my book.

Under $20 for ones like this.
http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Light..._sim_sg_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SFXAPT9CWT3JZKWBSN8

1200 Lumen 7.4V CREE T6 LED with rechargeable 4 18650 battery LI pack and charger included.

That example is a red one, I get the black and chrome ones, but just search on '1200 Lumen CREE' and you'll find many.

With an electric bike you have a lot more options, especially for night riding but to be honest I love these little lights even on an electric and we keep a 'shop light' for test riding right with the helmets for every ride.

As for electric bikes themselves I absolutely love the quietness of them and would never consider adding an artificial constant noise maker.
I do however love a simple little 'tink tink' bike thumb bell.
I get a simple perverse pleasure when I am riding wide open and overtake a pack a of spandex rides, cut the throttle, and fly by dead quiet pedaling backwards with a 'tink tink' bell warning them I am passing HEHEHE ;-}

I am about to start my 6th electric build, a 9-speed shifter with the EM3ev 925Wh 18.5Ah triangle battery on an awesome $4000 full suspension mountain bike, that sucker is going to turn some heads quiet or not.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Almost exactly like me except I prefer ting ting, instead of tink tink.
Heheh, ya, a little 'ting ting' bell ;-}

The Cadillac bikes came with them, this was my personal electric ride for awhile.

980W 36V shifter with NuVinci disc brake back wheel.
Let's just say I got an offer too good to refuse to sell it.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Heheh, ya, a little 'ting ting' bell ;-}

The Cadillac bikes came with them, this was my personal electric ride for awhile.

980W 36V shifter with NuVinci disc brake back wheel.
Let's just say I got an offer too good to refuse to sell it.
I can't wait to hear about it.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Harley's with stock mufflers are not a problem.

Owners who remove the stock mufflers (which violates federal law) are a problem.

I think they should all be doing time in Federal prisons for breaking Federal laws.

If you ride (or drive) by my house with noise so bad I can't hear the TV anymore I hate you.

Simple as that. Leave it alone. Modifying a factory intake or exhaust system is illegal under Federal Law. It says that right on the mufflers.

Although I suspect that people who do this stuff can't read real well.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The factory mufflers were long gone when I bought my Harley.
Even if it still had them they would have rusted out at least a decade ago.
I am still looking for a high performance exhaust for it that is as quiet as, or very close to, the factory exhaust. For some reason in the current market, high performance = loud.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Just buy a factory exhaust.

Unless you are racing on a closed track, that's your only legal option.

Every after market exhaust system sold has that disclaimer.

"Sold for racing purposes only, not for on road use"

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
In california you can have an aftermarket exhaust on your car from the cat back as long as it registers at under 93 dB at 50', I suspect that the law is similar for motorcycles. Aftermarket exhausts are a way to free up some horsepower, have a more attractive muffler and or pipes, or replace a rusted out can hanging on by a thread of rust from your vehicle, that's why they are indeed legal, and there is a specific sound limit for their usage to prevent extremely loud vehicles.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Prolly never figure it out with out enough batteries to bring the heat. Heat is energy wasted.

That Nuv Hub on that caddy has parasitic drag. Reason I say that is I ran one against a 10 hp engine. On a 16 mile up hill journey it got hot enough to cook flesh. That is what happened to me when I cooked my hand checking the hub heat at the spoke flang. Then started desperatly spitting on it lol. ''The hand''

Tough little hub never did finish it off. Still works. Need to sell it or donate it to science.

The one freind I have on his loud honking Harley has darn sure lost any night time welcomes lol. Too dang loud. I dig having a little noise but obserd is obserd. Gotta have some incogneto effect.

Sorry Bikenut we got off track a little cuz of me.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
That Nuv Hub on that caddy has parasitic drag. Reason I say that is I ran one against a 10 hp engine. On a 16 mile up hill journey it got hot enough to cook flesh.
Yes it does have drag, and it's huge and heavy.
Between my my mechianic at the time and I we bought 6 Nuvinci Caddy's, plus NuVinci (Fallbrook Technologies) gave me a programmable auto-shifting Developers Kit hub to test.

Half of the hubs failed under gas engine power and I found the shifting awkward and needless, I kept wanting to shift to often.
Here is a video of me riding one my Caddy's with just a 48cc on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=T1F1jXnjvac

That one did hold up by the way and is still being ridden to this day as far as I know.

---

As far as noise goes what I find more annoying than a loud motorcycle is a car full of kids with a thunder bass box in the trunk, they drown out my Ting Ting bell ;-}

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Just buy a factory exhaust.

Unless you are racing on a closed track, that's your only legal option.

Every after market exhaust system sold has that disclaimer.

"Sold for racing purposes only, not for on road use"
The factory doesn't offer it for sale anymore. Aftermarket is my only option.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Chain reaction: Electric bicycles make new power commute

IRVINE – Mari Fujii commutes 6 1/2 miles to her job in Lake Forest, traveling busy streets where cars whiz by at upward of 50 mph.

Fujii’s top speed? 20 mph. She commutes by electric bicycle.

Last year, U.S. consumers purchased about 100,000 electric bicycles – a fraction of overall bicycle sales, but a number that experts say is growing.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/electric-612291-bicycles-battery.html

DDbike

May 5, 2014
Johnson City, TN
... i am a total noob ... building my first gas bike ....

.... its the drive train in my gas bike that is such a huge hurdle for the masses ...

.... seems to me .. the electric bike DIY has much wider application because of the easier drive train system .... its more compact ... less moving parts ..

... much easier to mass produce ....

... now we just have to wait for battery price to fall