ThatsDax rt High Performance Carburetor

GoldenMotor.com

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Ha!!! Guess what I didn't get my jets in yet, but I chopped the intake about a 1\2 inch shorter so the filter would fit on better and man talk about a difference. I can go all the way up to 32MPH with a SBP Xchamber and a #70 jet without any four stroking at all and the power is intense. Someone else should try I bet it'll work,and I've got a 36T sprocket on the way:D

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Yup. I also just installed the billet intake and stepped down to the 70 jet. Pulled 36mph at 3/4 throttle, still on break-in mix, mind you! Now that is also with the Puch hi hi compression head, NGK plug/wire, SBP xchamber, mild port/polish and 36t gearing. The intake does drop some on the bottom end. But it does love to get on the pipe in the mid-range!

homejones

Jul 4, 2011
Lostville
So I haven't even ridden around enough to go through an entire tank of gas. I'm just getting around to finishing my first 1/2 tank. I mixed up a gallon of 32:1 gas/oil the other day. The color is a dark blue. You guys think this is what I should be running?

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
goto 70 and fly lol

where can you get jets other than dax.maybe like a 65-70 set

Last edited:

homejones

Jul 4, 2011
Lostville
treatland.tv has been my goto source for carb parts. cheap prices, amazing customer service, and low shipping rates.

Anyways, downjetted to 68 then 65. Still had 4-stroking. Think I should downjet more?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
HJ, I'm confuzed, and would like to help you...

Would u splain?

'downjetted to 68 then 65 and still four stroking'

....if you are referring to a number drill bit size, the number 65 bit is LARGER than the #68 and would allow MORE fuel to pass, making the 'four-stroking' over-rich condition even worse.

...Now if you are referring to some part # stamped on the jet, well that's a different story...

If it were me, and my engine was running fat and four-stroking with a #68 drill bit size, I would go to #71 and see what happened.

Here's the reason.

It would get better, or starve for fuel.

If starved for fuel, I could then pass a #70 bit through the jet and ream it open just a little bit.

Once again, it would get better, or worse.
If your power and speed improve at WOT, give it a try with the #69 drill bit.
Again, better, or worse.

Always, and I mean ALWAYS, adjustment will be too far, and you will need to go at least one step back the way you came to get the proper mix of air/fuel.
That's how we do it.

Quite possibly this will require soldering up the jet so you can make a smaller hole than the one you just did in the test.

(It's good to have a couple jets on hand, but most of us do NOT buy a buncha jets hoping to find one that works. We custom drill/ream them. At my local discount tool outlet, the little tiny number drills are sold for a buck to 2 bucks each. It's most likely all you would ever need for this class of carbs is #65, the largest, thru #75, which is the smallest.)

To ramble on even further...
Another member just made a post saying how he went on his WOT run and shut off his fuel petcock to see what happened at the moment the fuel was expended... a valid test. If you get one burst of speed just as you run out of fuel, it's an indication that your jet is too big.

On the other hand, when on a WOT run, you can activate the choke to dump more fuel in... before it floods, if you get a burst of speed, that is an indication you are running too lean, and should open your main jet.

NONE of this applies to anything but WOT, even though the end result will require you begin the process of resetting the needle in the slide for suitable mid-range operation.

THEN, you will need to get your idle set to a reasonable speed, and make adjustment to the fuel mixture at idle, if your carby has an air/fuel adjustment for the idle circuit. (I know the nt carby does NOT, the cns DOES.)

Idle circuit adjustment MAY affect the setting of the mid-range needle.

Design shortcomings and poor quality in darn near ALL these china motors have left us with a significant probability of intake leaks, either in the crankcase, or the intake tract, which make proper tuning difficult.

Good luck, I hope this helps
rc

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
Homes, what ones on treatland do you buy? I was thinking the delltorto 6mm or the bings. not sure though

homejones

Jul 4, 2011
Lostville
I think you need the 5mm. Also, a nice touch, the jet is stamped with the jet size so no confusion when switching out parts.
dellorto main jets part #1486

RC - thanks for the detailed response. A brief answer, when I speak about 68 and 65 jets, I'm talking about the jet sizes. I'll try a plug chop at WOT and see what happens. BTW - still in break-in mode running 24:1 gas. Thanks!

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
So I got my jets in from Dax. I was running on a #70 at the time and it would 4stroke at around 29-30MPH or so, So I put in the #65 and it was to lean and had no power so since I don't have drill bits that small I used an acetylene torch file that's just small enough file out the #60, and I did this till I could see it was in between the above, somewhere around #68. Man it went up to 34MPH without any kind of sputtering or 4stroking, I'm totally blown away by this carb it's AMAZING!!! This is by far the best carb you'll ever get for this price.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've been running Duane's RT carburetor on one of my bikes for a while now and I've been more than pleased with the performance. However, yesterday on my weekly trip to the library I started noticing a high idle speed and some surging at cruise,25mph, or there about. Classic symptoms of a vacuum leak somewhere.
When I got home I started searching and found the leak concentrated around the throat of the carb where it slides onto the intake manifold. The carburetor was tight, I couldn't move it by hand, but it was obviously sucking air someplace.

I removed it, cleaned the sleeve and sanded the chrome intake a little and sealed the carb to the manifold with SealAll, gasoline resistant sealer/adhesive and waited until today to test. It runs great, maybe a little better than it has for a couple of weeks.
The plastic sleeve that's in the carb throat is intact, no apparent place where it could allow air through but after it was sealed my idle went back to normal and the surging went away. I did not disturb the intake flange gasket but checked the tightness of the fasteners. The leak was in the plastic sleeve, I'm certain.
Just thought I'd pass that along to you other RT owners.
Tom

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
I've been running my RT carb for about 3-4 weeks now and I'm very pleased with it, haven't had any problems with it so far, but the one thing I don't like is the gasket on the float bowl, it seems like something that will leak after a while but a little sealer will fix that. Overall I have absolutely no 4stroking at all now which is awesome and I have excellent top end now, I think I lost a little low end torque because it's leaner but, atleast I know for sure now I'm only using as much gas as I need too. I'm very happy with this carb.(^)

Ratchetbirds

Jun 12, 2011
Eastern Wash.
Heya Tex,
I am sure I have posted this before but my fav float bowl sealant is Permatex #1. In over 35 years of use it has never failed me. The only one I know of that actually seals against gasoline. Just follow the instructions religiously and voila!

damo99

Mar 29, 2011
australia
i don't know how much thatsdax sell these carbs for but you can get them on ebay as a performance pit bike carb for under $20 with manifold (for pitbike)
i have one on my bike it runs excellent after re jetting.
rock solid also sell these carbs and also the updated version with cable chock and mixture screw

timnles

Oct 24, 2011
Missouri
I have a THATSDAX rt Carb that works great, only one problem. The bike fell over and the fuel inlet on my carb cracked and broke. I have called thatsdax and am waiting for a return call. Does anyone know where I could get parts for the RT carb? Thanks.

drn2