lessons learned from pets

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Yesterday, Sunday morning. Sat on the shop step watching the birds and squirrels digging around the back yard for breakfast. To early for me to start making noise and kinda great way to relax.

One of the squirrels is a big 'ol honking guy I call Bruno. He likes to sit outside my bedroom window on a Cyprus branch and torture Stewie DeCat and normally wins the staring contest. Really funny.

As the birds and critters do what ever, 2 blue jays land and claim a corner by a shed. Every time other, non-blue jay birds come close, one of the jays jump at em and scare em off.

Out of no where and out of my field of vision Bruno comes charging at the blue jays. Not a mock attack. He is full on running at the larger one. As the bird turns and immediately took flight just over Bruno's head. As the bird got in the air, Bruno reached up with his front paws and it looked like he tried to grab the bird. The other jay followed suit and got gone.

Then Bruno just went back to foraging with the rest of the morning crowd.

Was so dang cool to see. I have since stopped yelling him to get off the branch out side my window and messing with the cat.

This is not my vid, but was looking around to see if this happened else where other then my lil Walt Disney world of a back yard;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CASrQdZelM

Attachments

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
My daughter is much amused by the way I talk to my cat. I'd just put a casserole in the oven watched by my cat before I went out to my workshop. As I headed for the door I said to my cat, 'Make sure you come and get me at 1/4 past nine Ok because that when the casserole will be done.'
My daughter then asked me, 'Are you asking me to come and get you?'
I said, 'No it's Ok, I'm just chatting with the cat.'

Well imagine my surprise when my cat sauntered into my workshop at ten past nine, looked at me and said, 'Maow.'
I still don't know if my daughter put my cat outside close to time knowing that she would come and see me in the workshop, - or whether I've got a cat that actually does understand what I say to her.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, most wondrous Wheel Woman. Ya know people think we're nutz for this sort of thing?

But in all seriousness. (yes, I said that with a st8 face, sorta) Critters are pack animals and want/need communication. It is most certainly a specieal (not special) and individual survival imperative. If wolves or lions weren't on the same page with the rest of the pack/pride during a hunt, no one would eat. If there wasn't a crow in a tree watching and calling out the approach of predators, everyone would be eaten eventually.

Bar none, every cat I have ever had will come when called unless they were busy or sleeping. And accompany me on walks. Think they are more on an exploration/hunting expedition.

Me and Stewie were, dunno, talking? But he wanted lunch early. He has a very specific meow for "please" (read more a pleading demand) It is an actual exchange of sounds conveying thoughts.
Carol's brother is listening to this whole thing from another room and laughingly called me "Dr. Doolittle" And not because I do so little around the house. Well... lol

You can set your watch by the dog letting you know when it is snack time.

I just think they have the same social drivers as us.
Although I could be considered an anthropomorphist, tree hugger, bunny lover.

And I don't care wut the judge said, I am not taking those meds! dance1

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Lud, I thought the good Dr. Albert Schweitzer was a countryman of yours but turns out while looking up the correct spelling of his name, he does share your part of the world.

But one of my favorite quotes from him is "remember, all life is important"

LOL, and can't find it. Did find some great ones;

“The thinking (person) must oppose all cruel customs, no matter how deeply rooted in tradition and surrounded by a halo. When we have a choice, we must avoid bringing torment and injury into the life of another.”
― Albert Schweitzer
http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/47146.Albert_Schweitzer

=========================================

This cracked me up. It is an actual feeder; http://www.wired.com/2014/11/horse-...geek&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

Attachments

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Not that exciting for this one. Seems it is very friendly, but when it is nearing its owner (not me) to usually arrive, it has to be on the look out!

Attachments

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
The main thing I've learned from my little, formerly feral kitty cat, make sure there is plenty of food down BEFORE bed. Otherwise she will wake me up very early by patting me on the face with her lil paw. She don't use her claws when she does this, she just kinda taps my face with the pads on her paw until I wake up.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
My little dog is 4 years old, and I think she's turned into a teenager.

Selective deafness, ignoring Daddy, huffing and puffing when she has to do something she doesn't like, and trying to play us off against each other.

I'm just glad she can't talk.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Ha Ha! This cat though is friendly to everyone. I just did not get my camera out soon enough, and at the time of day when there are more important things to this cat, well you know, it was some what distant. If I approached it still would have been friendly, an not bite my hand as I have had a cat once do at a Thanksgiving Dinner. I thought if it sits in your lap, then petting the cat is allowed. The more recent cat, I would bet yes, but back when, it was a different story. May father had to squeeze its jaws so the nice fleshy spot between thumb and forefinger would have the fangs release. So it be?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
My wife just brought our lab home from the vet where she works after having a second operation because our dog Honey likes to eat artificial flowers or plants. The vet that did the surgery said a piece of wire had pierced the wall of the colon, didn't see how the dog was eating and not getting sick. They had gave her a solution when the "eating" first happened to make her regurgitate all the flower but a small piece got caught, we have been feeding her high fiber food and doing weekly xrays since Nov 15 hoping it would pass. The first time was worse, she ate Christmas arrangement flowers and had a stomach full of wire. The lesson we have learned is to put EVERYTHING WITH WIRE at least four feet above the floor.

P.S. There is no such thing as a free puppy!

Attachments

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Yea I wish the dog would learn, the first operation was Dec 2013 so almost a year apart. She got the staples out today so she doesn't have to wear the lamp shade of shame anymore, the vet said to be sure she wore it till the staples were out or she might pull them out and swollow them.