• I rarely wear a helmet when riding

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I just man it without one on

Votes: 22 11.1%

• Total voters

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
LOL Cool helmet. All I could think of when i saw the helmet was Tom doing some sort of jump. You've got an awesome wife Tom. Have a very Happy-Birthday!

1flyingfool

May 25, 2011
Yelm
I wear my helmet ALL the time,cos, Once I was riding a pedal bike and comming home from store,a car came pased me then did a U turn,I was riding with just one hand,no big deal right? wrong,the handel bar sliped out of my hand and went down, smashed my head on pavement,really rang my bell. That is why,I got lucky ONCE.

zatdattyo

Apr 13, 2012
Tennessee
I just purchased a half helmet online because when I used to ride dirt bike I remember how well the gear i had to wear kept me safe when the ground would just jump up and hit me. Better to be a little safe than sorry. And at 55 your noggin gets jared around enough w/ just usein it! Dont want to end up talking like Old Ozzy Osborne....Hardy Harr Har

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Whoa! Another girl motorbiker! Ahem..dnut brnot LOL! Welcome to the forum. What helmet do you have? I'm currently using a German skid lid, nothing special but it works. For my Motorcycle I use a T-motorsports Full-Face helmet.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
After reading this thread I went out in the rain and rescued my old Tony Hawk Razor helmet. I like it cause it don''t look like spandexer type lid...

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Couldn't help but notice in the polls there is 5 ppl who "man it without one" obviously there is nothing worth protecting.. right??
Agree with Dave 31 though if your going just down the street to check if the thing starts or something fair enough, but never wear one at all. Good luck to ya.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
if im going for my local crise through the subdivision or to my buddy's place,no lid.
12 km's to town for coffee or to work,definetly a lid.last thing i need is a tumble and another whack on the noggin.got hit hard at work last year and if it wasnt for the hard hat,it woulda been seroius(er)
i dont like my helmet (i want one with a spike) but wear it just because.
No helmet law in manitoba (yet)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Just be sure that the spike is a foam one. If is it metal and it gets hit during an accident you could easily end up with a spike driven into your skull. Even though it would be the wide end doing the penetration, penetrate through bone it can and will.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I kind of like the helmet spike thing ;-}
Not my style but it could sure be handy in a fight which ironically wearing a Nazi type helmet might make that occur more often in public.

As mentioned a few pages back I have an easy ritual as I ride a lot of different type bikes I build and ride around a lot.
Easy for me, all the bikes are in the shop and right at the door out sits a filing cabinet with my 1/2 shell bike helmet with my riding gloves and riding glass's in it.

I have taken a couple of spills, it takes me 30 seconds max to gear u[ as I roll the bike out and can't miss seeing them so it is a no brainer for me for routine runs.

I do however still appreciate the feel of nothing on you head but glasses and the wind rush but do yourself real favor:
Wear some ridging gloves and glasses of some sort.

And MY MOST IMPORTANT POINT!....
Put a powerful front light that will strobe on the front and RUN IT IN DAYLIGHT RIDING!

It's late and I am tired so suffice it to say my year long 'semi-research' has revealed one glaring most important safety thing I have found isa bright flashing front light.I'm talking 1K Lumens LED you ban see from a 1/4 mile away and you can kiss most of the major percentage of 'cut me off' wrecks off.
I don't care who you are, if you glance down the road and see a 1K+ Lumen flashing light even in AZ noon sunlight you will take another look.
That my friends is all it takes for that driver to take second look.

Just a tip from an old guy that can't take another major spill and worked on how to prevent one to begin with.