For Old Guys Only

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I still kick myself in the butt for not picking up a beautiful rust bucket of a truck.
The year was 1992
Asking price was $900.00
It had a flat head V8 that ran great but I don't know if it was original to the truck - brakes shot - body straight - no interior of any sort barely any paint of any sort.
It was a 1933 Dodge. :(
Tell me old guys... Was it as bad of a mistake as I still think it was?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I still kick myself in the butt for not picking up a beautiful rust bucket of a truck.
The year was 1992
Asking price was $900.00
It had a flat head V8 that ran great but I don't know if it was original to the truck - brakes shot - body straight - no interior of any sort barely any paint of any sort.
People have gone to H- E, double hocky sticks, for less.
$900 for a running 33 Dodge? I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

Tom

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I dunno. Only you know.

I've got one pre-requisite for old stuff. Will the lack of of a part that is long obsolete render it useless?

If I can make it or I think I can find it on the interwebs and I really want it... I'll buy it.

If not, or it's gonna be way expensive... no way Jose.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
People have gone to H- E, double hocky sticks, for less.
$900 for a running 33 Dodge? I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

Tom
Yes, it ran, but it was nowhere near driveable. Not by the longest stretch of the imagination.
Looked like it was in someone's back yard for 30 years exposed to the elements.
Surprisingly though, none of the body had any rust through holes.
Someone's project abandoned and forgotten? I will never know.
I just wanted it then and I still do now... *sigh*

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
For me the year was 1993, and the car was a 1950 Buick with a straight eight. The interior looked used but not torn anywhere; the black paint wasn't faded per se, but it looked like gun metal bluing; it ran...oh how it ran. It wasn't what anybody here and now would call fast but I could live with that. It had one small shallow dent on the top of the passenger-front fender. I asked; owner said a telephone pole fell on it and bounced off. (!!!!!!!!) A few months ago I saw what happens when a telephone pole falls on a modern car. You all can guess how pretty that was. For the 1950 Buick he wanted $800. I stood there knowing I had $200 to my name, and I wracked my brains trying to think of how or from whom I could borrow the other six. I could understand why good men have been tempted toward lives of crime. But I had to walk away, and I kept looking back the whole time.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
That's as bad as buying something for next to nothing and selling it for a small profit. In this case it was a nearly mint 1920's/1930's boat tailed Morgan but there were many others.

Just look at it this way, you made the guy who bought it very happy and your in your own private Hades every time you think of it.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
OH, and I forgot the good part. I believe I bought it for $250 and sold it for $400 or $450.
Then there was the first Porch convertible brought into Canada by VW Canada to show off the new cars. It was a 1953 titled as a 1954. The price my brother and I paid. A whopping $125 in 1965.

GearNut would you mind passing the ice water. It's as hot as Hades here.

Steve.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Ok if an old girl pokes her nose in? :)

Allen. before I was married and moved away to become a smallholder farmer I worked at the Nissan Datsun dealership in Newmarket, Auckland (NZ). The 240z's and the 260z's were awesome motor vehicles and I managed to sneak a ride sometimes when one of the mechanics took one out on a road test. We used to call them 24 ounce and 26 ounce Datsuns and to my mind they represent everything that is good in a real sportscar.
While I was working at the dealership I purchased a 1977 120Y for Mum using my staff discount and when Mum gave up driving when she turned 80 the 120Y came back to me. Now my daughter is driving it and she loves it.

With the two cars my daughter owned before the Datsun, the first one caught fire due to a fault in the catalytic convertor, and the second ended up being towed to the scrapyard when the main CPU for the electronic everything failed.

Until I drove the 120Y as my regular motorcar all my cars had been built in the 1950s or earlier. I don't trust a car that can't be fixed with a Swiss Army knife and a couple of bits of wire on the side of the road. it seems stupid to me that my daughter's last car would have cost more than it was worth to repair just because some Smartie (for Americans read M&M) with wires on it inside the black box decided to fail.
If I was younger and had the energy I would have had her tow the thing home and I would have converted it over to mechanical points ignition and put 4 SU (Skinner's Union) or Stromberg CD carbys on it instead of all the magic electronic nonsense.
Growing up all my cars sprouted extra carburrettors and I used to be a whizz at getting them dialed in with a piece of tubing stuck in my ear so I could listen to the induction sound.

Don't get me wrong I think some technology is good. Being able to discuss stuff with people on the other side of the world is great and for me the internet is one big encyclopedia. Mind you all the computers I've ever owned have been built up from other peoples' cast offs and have generally cost me no more than $NZ50.00 to setup. Everytime the latest tech craze for the latest whatever comes out, what is now considered to be old hat becomes almost worthless. By staying a couple of steps behind the technology I don't find it difficult at all to own useful tech for almost free. Oh and I use Linux too.

Thinking back on when I worked at the Nissan Datsun dealership I rode to work most days on my 1954 Matchless 350 single. My last bike before my doctor told me, 'No more motorcycles', was a Suzuki 1990s 500 twin. Now if my Matchbox had broken down, - not that it ever did, - I knew for sure that I could have got it running again on the side of the road. With the Suzuki I was never that confident and fortunately it never let me down, but if it had I knew that I would be up that certain creek without a paddle.

When my kids were small they used to ask me, 'Tell us about the olden days when you were little'. So I would tell them about trams and how the railways used steam locomotives. About how both their grandads and their granduncles and their Nana (my Mum) worked on the railways. About how toys weren't plastic, but made from cast iron or tinplate. And about how the local dairy farmers could move their cows along the main road near Nana's house because there was so little traffic. (By the time my children were born the dairy farms had disappeared under a sea of houses and the traffic was so heavy that trying to move a herd of cows along that road would have resulted in bloody slaughter!).

Being not exactly wealthy except in quality of life we didn't have television and even now my adult children aren't particularly interested in watching the 'gogglebox'. Radio though is a different matter and National Radio here is still wonderfully rich with documentaries, radio plays, intelligent discussion of the issues of the day and music that is actually worth listening to. And no advertising!

Yes I know I'm an old fashioned girl and because of my religious beliefs I look like one too (no I'm not Amish). But as far as I can see when I look at the world I haven't noticed people being any happier for all their tearing around, living on credit and trying to sooth themselves by acquiring more and more possessions.
When I had the 'good job' as a mental health professional I owned an apartment which I rented out and I had all the usual credit cards and store cards. I'm not really sure if I was happy because I was working too long and too hard to ever really find out.
Then I became ill, had to take early retirement and it all came crashing down. That was over ten years ago and if you asked me now if I miss that life I'd tell you, 'No.' Definitely No.
I should have just by-passed all that sweat and heartache, all those hours of study and exams and just come to live here in the country. The simple truth is the old values and ways of doing things were best and no matter how large the army of social workers and mental health professionals the problems with Western society can't be fixed so long as money is the sole measure of what things are held to be worth.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
The year was 1992
Asking price was $900.00

I know exactly where you're coming from.....

In 1986, I had the opportunity to buy a good, original condition Plymouth Superbird --- white with the 440. It wasn't especially quick, but it was darn fast!! Asking price --- $18,000. Have y'all seen the going prices for these vehicles lately????

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
If it's got 4 wheels I don't care. 4 wheels is transportation. Good for the rain. Good if you have to go a long way in a short time.

2 wheels is fun. 2 wheels is life. 2 wheels make my heart beat faster.

4 wheels is what they put your coffin in on the way to the graveyard.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I think I'm getting crotchety too.
I find myself missing my Firebird, my Cougar XR7, but mostly my slightly-souped '74 Datsun 260 Z.
Ahh, new can worms, our old cars ;-}
I bought used '67 Firebird convertible sophomore year of high school with a 327 4 on the floor. I cut the exhaust off where it came together and put a pair of Hush Thrush mufflers on and replaced the carb with a Holly 4-barrel double pumper as well.
Like you Allen I really wish I still had that car.

I sold it for $700 senior year when the Cougar XR7 my folks were leasing came up for return or pay a small 'keep it' price and my folks let me have it for that $700.

It must have been around a '75 and was the newer luxury 2-door not the cool muscle car of previous years but that worked out rather well too.
Pearl white with a white landau top, opera side windows, you know the look.

The firebird was a party chick magnet for sophomore and junior year, the Cougar was the classy ride for the hot rich chicks, it was so nice I used to park in the teacher parking lot without question ;-}

I loved high school and my dearest friends to this day are from that time including my friend Cole that works for me now.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I gave my brother in-law a 1950 buick for 0$, original, registered and just a nice great looking ride. He never did anything with it except SELL it.

I bought an all original, great running 48 dodge buissness 3 window coupe this fall that my wife fell in love with. I think it will look great towing my motorized bicycles around in the spring.

For me the year was 1993, and the car was a 1950 Buick with a straight eight. The interior looked used but not torn anywhere; the black paint wasn't faded per se, but it looked like gun metal bluing; it ran...oh how it ran. It wasn't what anybody here and now would call fast but I could live with that. It had one small shallow dent on the top of the passenger-front fender. I asked; owner said a telephone pole fell on it and bounced off. (!!!!!!!!) A few months ago I saw what happens when a telephone pole falls on a modern car. You all can guess how pretty that was. For the 1950 Buick he wanted $800. I stood there knowing I had $200 to my name, and I wracked my brains trying to think of how or from whom I could borrow the other six. I could understand why good men have been tempted toward lives of crime. But I had to walk away, and I kept looking back the whole time.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Going against the grain here but I truly love the time we live in. Right this minute I get to read and think about your thoughts and ideas. No matter where you are. Then reply or ask questions. Found a motorized bicycle kit on line and a bunch of folks who could explain the many finer points. I went from strapping a China Girl on to a perfectly good bike to making parts. No, know-how, just read up. (and ask you folks)

An internet connection is a library card to all the libraries that have ever been.

The "boob-tube" is no more. Television is an amazing thing. On my basic cable subscription I have the science, history and comedy channels. (and the cartoon channel!)

On my internet connection, I can get any radio station on the planet. Any thing you want to explore or learn. Ask or discuss... Some one cared enough to offer help.

I just got a contract after a meeting that was held over SKYPE. (free internet video conferencing software) The woman who gave me the work was 263 miles away.
I had bid on the contract, on line.

Change is scary. But somebody way back looked at a horse and said; "Hey Bob, bet your too chicken to jump up on that thing..."

..Of course Bob died a horribly, but you know what I mean.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Reminds me of one of my Dad's favorite sayings "Never a horse that couldn't be rode, and never a rider that couldn't be throwed". Dad had a million of them.

Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
It was the second time on a horse for me though the on lookers said that I should get back on and show the horse that it couldn't get away with that.
Unfortunately by the time I had gone around the corral far too many times and through the two top rails on the fence the 6 pack and my enthusiasm had both cease to operate like they were. I can tell you though what it's like to take a ride in a blender and survive.

Steve.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Wild horses...couldn't drag me away ;) I have been thrown by one however. The only thing I really like about horseees (besides feeding them carrots and sugar cubes) is in their reference to power....one pony at a time. It's all about the horsepower, not so much the man power :D

brnot

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Hey Dan all these new gadgets take all the fun out of shopping, my son went to lowe 's with me to buy a item only to find it out of stock. In about 15 seconds he had out his phone scanning the label on the shelf, he then said they have four across the street at home depot. All the anticipation of trying to find something is gone! I now have that same app on my phone.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Phone? ...Would you believe I'm 65, and I've never owned
a phone. Think of all the annoying calls I've missed. Of
course the demise of the pay phone has inconvenienced
me...once.