For Old Guys Only

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It's science fiction now, a little wafer of a thing with all the info in the world at your fingertips, and the ability to talk garbage to somebody on the other side of it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
As much as I hate them, I do have a cell phone. It's about six years old, has about four features and I use one of them. Nobody has the number but my wife and it's turned off most of the time unless I expect her to call.

I don't feel like I'm important enough to be 'in touch' with everyone 24/7. If they want to call me they can use my home phone/land line and if I I'm not home or don't want to answer it they can try again later.

Phones and their use, especially texting, has become epidemic. They fit right in with the "me" mentality. Phones and something they're calling "social media". Well they named it right, social MEdia, because it's all about ME, where I am and what I"M doing, what I think and what I think about what you think. Give me a moment and I"LL tell you all about ME! That's why they need phones; so they can tell everyone about themselves. Many of them don't know how to interact, face to face with a live human being.

I have a niece and nephew, both in their mid 20s both collage graduates and successful and they can't look you in the eye while talking to them because their eyes are constantly going down to their phones which I think by now have become part of their hands. I never see this couple that they aren't carrying the things. Ask them almost anything and they can't give you an answer until they 'consult' their phone. Progress? Probably. De-humanizing? You betcha!

Good grief.

Tom

Last edited:

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
I do have a couple of native American drums. I gave
up responding to smoke signals; It takes to long to build a fire.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Tom I think I'm a few years younger than you (not calling you old)) but in today's work place a cell phone is a must, every contractor or business contact asks me for a cell number to contact me. I always put people in my contact list so I know who is calling, if its someone that I don't need to talk to they can leave a message.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom I think I'm a few years younger than you (not calling you old)) but in today's work place a cell phone is a must, every contractor or business contact asks me for a cell number to contact me. I always put people in my contact list so I know who is calling, if its someone that I don't need to talk to they can leave a message.
Greg,
Before I retired I held a facilities management position. Whenever I had a contractor come in to do work for me, HVAC, roofers, electricians, plumbers, etc. especially those who I was paying by the hour, I told them to leave their phones in their trucks. All too often I found these guys talking to fellow workers or other customers, on my time. That didn't set well with me, paying upards of $100 a hour to a guy who spent a good portion of his time yacking on his phone instead of doing what I was paying him to do. Maybe you can understand when you look at it from the paying customer's point of view.

Tom

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I truly enjoy a group of grumpy old men discussing the evils of high technology on the internet.

It's so amusing.
Behave now Mike, - there are so few things these days that are truly amusing an opportunity such as this should be treasured.

Cell phones? The only reason I have one is so the rest home where Mum is now living can contact me in an emergency otherwise I wouldn't bother.
After years of working as a social worker and knowing that when my cell phone rang it was rarely going to be good I don't miss the horrible things at all.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Tom I totally agree if a contractor is paid by the hour, all of our outside work is done on a per job basis. It is rare for a guy to stop work and talk if he's paid by the job.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I read it the first time you reminded me.

I'm the guy with the grey hair and the vacuum tubes, the record player and the reel to reel tape deck. The furnature made of wood. I drove out to CA from Detroit in a bright red 57 Chevy Bel-Aire. I am an old guy. I built crystal radios when I was a kid.

Sorry, guess I'm not old enough eh? At least I don't own a cell phone - :)

fredric3144

Oct 22, 2012
lufkin tx
Well happy Thanksgiving to all . I have a cell phone ,lap top computer , cable TV (with more channels than I will ever watch) and a microwave oven to zap my food . I am 66 ride my motorized bicycle most every day weather permitting . Much of the science fiction of my youth is now part of my everyday life . Heck even Dick Tracy's watch is now a real thing . I want a Star Trek tool box that floats along beside me and one of those pads to stand on that will beam me to places . I love technology .

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I'm glad that I'm old enough to know better.

I'm glad that I still comtemplate that I could do it.

I'm glad that I can remember most of the important things.

I'm glad that I 'think' younger than I am.

I'm glad I've had most of the experiences that have found their way to me.

I'm glad I've got lots of local friends and internet friends.

I'm glad that I can remember most of the important things.

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I'm certainly glad that I'm not old enough to want to go to Branson, Mo........

(Certainly no offense intended to those Branson 'fans'.....:D)

fredric3144

Oct 22, 2012
lufkin tx
Branson MO. lets see north its winter cold nope I aint going . I am allergic to cold makes little bumps all over my body and in extreme cases it makes my teeth chatter .

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
all things considered

be THANKFUL for what you´ve got -friends-- family --love
internet or otherwise -it can be a cold cruel uncaring experience

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
I guess Im in a middle group of people. I love both old and new but not in the way most do engines now can run many 100,000 miles when back in the day if you got 100,000 out of most cars it was pure luck. the thing I like the most about the new is adding it to the old you end up with something that is better then either of the originals were. also all this talk about cell phones I cant stand the damn things the only reason I have one is its cheaper then a home phone. most new tec is junk with a couple good parts in it. Thats my story and Im sticking to it.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Thank you for sharing that, Dan. I am going to forward it on to my parents (now called grandpa and grandma as well).

I have noticed on our own society that after "corporal punishment" was banished by law as an available teaching tool for parents and shcools the younger generations have gotten far more brazen, violent and self centered, especially the males.
Here's a good example: How many senior folks here were fearful of the school principal's paddle whenever they were sent to the office for acting up?
Now a days the principal's paddle has been banished. Look at all the problem children in schools now.
Even if the paddle were never used, just the thought if it there, waiting for us, was enough to keep us in check, for the most part.
Todays' time outs, restrictions, extra schoolwork and stay after school punishment just does not have the same effect.
One of the greatest tools for bad attitude correction and education has been removed.
This is simply my observation shared as food for thought.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited: