Votes: 8 24.2%
  • other stain

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Yeppers Killer. Geting to the funner part.

Lowered the whole thing 2" (and it was still to low, snicker) and found it was way off. Propped a corner half back up 2" and was close to right. A lil more finagling and is right now.

It is amazing how off things can look and are good, and how far off things can be and look fine. The slope of the land adds an optical illusion too.

LOL, ya can always find a pc of wood that agrees with you. Didn't know how bowed and bent store bought, cut wood could be. Was aiming for perfect, so you could drop a marble on the floor and it wouldn't roll any particular way. Gave up on that one, lol.

The tree I was so happy about, is rotted at the base and tilted right over the building. Big ol haha there. Gonna have to do some thing about that. Found out by going behind it for dirt.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Didn't know how bowed and bent store bought, cut wood could be.
Aw nuts, we(I) forgot to mention the crown! *facepalm* Every piece will have a crown or "bow" in one direction. You want that facing up(obviously), so when weight gets on it it'll settle. And the walls you want facing out, so your top plates will be flush without fussing. I can't believe I forgot to mention that, sorry. Nothing is ever perfectly straight.

So crown'em as you go if your not already :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Tom. Nope, it is a mausoleum for really tiny people.

Awesome Killer. I did happen to read about joists and did as you said. I did not know about the walls thing.

Was thinking about this, this morning, you guys saved me a whole buncha "ahsheet" 's and it is greatly appreciated! I wouldda been 50/50 on the walls.

LOL, I stopped remeasuring and checking the foundation. After 7 or 8 redo's, it ain't all that much better. I hate to say it, but good enough. Think it is close to what a pro would find acceptable. A whole lot easier to get the work benches perfect. So I will only drop marbles on them. (unless the floor is perfect after it settles. Then I am gonna brag, lol)

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
whilst framing the walls,you will be using your nice squared floor,crown up and then walls will take sheeting without too much out of whack.

i am doing some work on an old garage here,ship lap siding and wood chip insulation.
they built the walls laying flat,packed the wood chips in tight and then poly'd it and then the ship lap on that.the wall must have been crazy heavy.musta built men way tougher in those days.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dan I hope you have some help standing up the walls, once you have the siding on a wall gets kinda heavy.
Trouble standing up the walls? Refer back to the Amish Paradise video posted earlier. ;)

Come on over. I'll buy the coffee. (I'm a sport, eh?)

Not that I am looking forward to lifting the long walls up and into place, but real worried about stopping them once they are vertical. LOL, think that could really make for an unpleasant moment. Ya just know the wind will kick up or some thing.

Gonna rig some sort of safety line, dead-man.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
a couple studs nailed to the sides and tacked to stakes in the ground.
you might be able to rent a couple wall jacks from a tool rental place.
might need only one.it slips over a 2x4,and hooks onto wall,crank away.
staple your sill gasket to the floor,build your wall so when you stand it up
it stands exactly in place so yo dont need to slide it into place and wreck the sill gasket.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Whooly good, just thunder stormed for about 3 minutes and the humidity is not fun!

Hurridly covered all I could. The sun is now out, of course.

Just about done with the flooring. Is starting to look like some thing which is mega cool.

Awesome TJ! Just looked up wall jacks. I didn't know they existed. https://www.google.com/search?q=wal...P02wXf9YGwAw&ved=0CEEQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=456

Got me thinking of a very old method used to hoist masts on ships in to place. Block & tacckle (could "come-along" it) from an "A" frame with a stop at below the apex as a safety stop/dead man.

Hmm cool, easy and hopefully would work. Really, really like this.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Apparently you've never driven a 15,000 lb hard surface forklift on soft grassy ground.

Tom
Take a good look at the pic I posted then ask yourself if that's a rough terrian forklift. The one in the pic weighs about #7000. This is MY solution for building a 34l x 24w 6inch concrete floor 8foot walls.

For as small as he is building with as short of walls two guys can lift the framing for the walls in place without any problems.
This building was built with 3 guys and a manlift to lift the roof girders
Rest of the work was done using ladders. How I know this... I was one of the 3
84lx56w one pic before the driveway and one after

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Had 2 pc's of floor left and a down pour started. I mean glad I got the tools out 'cause we may need an' ark, down pour. LOL

Gave up on screwing the flooring. Just a big ol' PITA. They wouldn't bite. And have a 30LB box of braided nails. So went with that.