Votes: 8 24.2%
  • other stain

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Lost my biggest contract and can't find any work. So I am of course taking my life savings and building a work shop. The only things I have built out of wood are a gang-way and a ramp for an elderly woman's front porch. Both were the exact same thing. LOL

http://www.betterbarns.com/index.ph...category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56

So am doing a pictorial/build thread. Plans are on the way via USPS. I have to get a permit now. The fun part is it is in a historic district. I want to paint a giant black circle on one side with a large dowel sticking out so it looks like the world's biggest bird house. That is not going over well or thought to be funny by any one other then me.

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
That sucks about the contract Dan. The plans look good, should be an interesting project. The only thing I can think of atm is don't cheap out on the concrete slab, don't need that cracking after only a couple of winters eh. Of course, make sure your walls are leveled and squared before the roof goes on. You can cross brace in the corners to hold it until the shingles are on.

Planning on heating it?

Lol at the birdhouse idea, you could paint it to look like there's a giant bird sitting in there :p Maybe a couple of giant feathers as lawn ornaments eh? heh heh

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"Lol at the birdhouse idea, you could paint it to look like there's a giant bird sitting in there Maybe a couple of giant feathers as lawn ornaments eh?"

Har! LOL. gonna do that if they let me.

Gonna do the skids on gravel thing. The co. I bought the plans from swear that it will be fine and I can't really do "permanent" Local law and Carol, lol. The later being the bigger law.

That and can load it on a flat bed if need be. I always have an escape/plan B.

Thanks for the bird, feather idea! Am thinking a bird-bath thing with a giant feather. Can they be copper and not poison the birds? Would look cool.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dan,
If you paint a bird in it, make sure it's an endangered species. That way the tree huggers will be on your side at least. :)

Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ya got me thinking griffin Tom, lol. Gonna try the endangered thing and see if it works.

Needs "inspection" and historical some thing permission. Funny part it will be so far out back and behind "Christmas trees gone wild" it will only be visible from space or to the kids from Hartford who are hiding from the police.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Got sick of trying to put together a materials list, so decided on buying a kit from Lowe's. In reading the reviews, decided against. Pulling my hair out but found this with step x step plans @ Popular mechanics that are exactly what I would like.

No internal wall so will be open space.

Now that I am set on a plan of attack, this is fun again. LOL, until I try to do angle cuts. Then I will be trying to come up with new and colorful ways to curse.

I am allowed 200 sq. feet and this will be 160. More space then I have ever had in one place so really excited. Carol, not so much. snork

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I like the design. I made a room for my kids next to the garage and was limited to the sq. fl. also. The room was built on skids just to play by the rules.

Check out Tuff-Shed...you can get some good deals if they are local to you.

http://www.tuffshed.com/
Cool, gotta look closer later when I get home. Some great odds & ends. Thanks for posting Culver

what would be the estimated cost of materials if bought at depot/lowes? 160 sq' like the picture?
Will let you know tomorrow Mag. I just happened to get a coupon just now from Lowe's for 10% off! On my way ASAP. The plans from popular Mechanics are the exact ones from Better Barns. http://www.betterbarns.com/index.ph...category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56 They come with a material list for every thing so you can go to a wood place like lowe's or HD or what ever and they will give you the exact price for the area. That alone made the plans so, so worth it! (I wanna send those folks, BBs, a pizza or some thing. snork

Wholly Moeley Dave, I had never even heard of those! I am doing this alone so man is that gonna make life easier. Even aside from the cutting angles thing.

LOL, remember when we first met? you explained a whole bunch of tools to me.

Got the plans Man, no kidding, better barns has been great. I had never heard of them before but they are local so gave em a good look then found out it was the same as the PMs artical. So off to town hall in the morning. Then to lowe's to find out how nevo poor I am about to be and hopefully swing a hammer by Thursday!

This really is exciting. I have been collecting tools for, well since I started with our crazy thing. Now gonna have a proper shop! (unless I mess it up, snork)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Opps, no way it will be OK'ed by then. So I'll just be sitting in the back yard with a hammer, my plans and my dog schmuck head.

from the "Jerk"

("Well, I'm gonna go then. And I don't need any of this. I don't need this stuff and I don't need you. I don't need anything -- except this, this ash tray, and that's the only thing I need is this! I don't need nothin' but this - just this ash tray, and this paddle game. The ash tray and the paddle game - and that's all I need, and this - the remote control. The ash tray, the paddle game and the remote control, that's all I need. And these matches. The ash tray, and these matches, and the remote control, and the paddle ball. And this lamp. That's right. This paddle game, and the remote control, and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too! I don't need one other thing. Not one - I need this - the paddle game and the chair and the remote control and the matches, for sure. Well, what are you looking at? What do you think I am, some kind of a jerk or something? And this. That's all I need. The ash tray, the remote control, and this paddle game, and this magazine and the chair...I don't need one other thing, except my dog (The dog growls at him) I don't need my dog"

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Another movie that woman just don't get. Caddy Shack is another one, and that's all. Except for 'The Godfather', and that's all there is. And Airplane. And that's all,

The Jerk, Caddy Shack, Godfather, and Airplane, and that's all. And Animal House.
The Jerk, Caddy Shack, Godfather, Airplane and Animal House.....:)

Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, just spit a frenchfri on the dash.

(Am in the car out side a MikyD's eating frenchfries while using a cell phone and a laptop. The grease is doing wonders for the touch screen and keyboard)

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
my insulated addition on my garage was 160 sq ft.
i dont even want to mention the 3000 i spent on it.
but,its the man cave,i kinda need it.
my bike is parked in it.
my bike,my sewing machine
my bike my sewing machine my laz-y-boy
o no here i go too.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dan, no matter what size you make your building it will not be big enough. My shop is 30x30 with a 12x20 room on the rear, I have a full size refrigerator microwave and cabinets with a sink. Its still too small!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
my insulated addition on my garage was 160 sq ft.
i dont even want to mention the 3000 i spent on it.
but,its the man cave,i kinda need it.
my bike is parked in it.
my bike,my sewing machine
my bike my sewing machine my laz-y-boy
o no here i go too.
LOL TJ

Lol you guys. That sucks you have to wait for the red-tape to get started. Don't forget a shelf for a mini beer fridge :)
Right! (well on the wagon but best 2B prepared!)

Dan, no matter what size you make your building it will not be big enough. My shop is 30x30 with a 12x20 room on the rear, I have a full size refrigerator microwave and cabinets with a sink. Its still too small!
Made me think of George Carlin and "stuff" "have to move so you have space for your stuff..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
well greg started it.
my man cave has a garage attatched to it,26x32
my storage "quonset " is 40x80 with 12" concrete floor(just hung my first light in it last night-shhh dont tell my wife)
a 50x100 hay shed and 30x45 barn-open on one side.
i picked up a 10'x16' 1/2 log sided shed for lawnmower storage.it was free.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I want to do an experiment. Run flexible pipe underground then up to the apex of the roof. Have an intake out side and draw air into the shop via solar powered fan. Bury the pipe 18" or so, so it is around 58F air year round to aid in cooling and heating.

If it is 100F out side, 58 is nice. If it is 0, then it is a lot warmer and much easier to get up to 65 or so.

On the sunny side, a ABS (black) pipe that goes from the apex outside then U shapes at floor level and back up to the apex inside. As the outside pipe heats up, the air rises sucking the warm air from aloft inside. Cool air displacing the warm air and falling on the other side.

I don't mind hot or cold unless it extreme. More a proof of concept thing. Or proof of being wrong.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
well greg started it.
my man cave has a garage attatched to it,26x32
my storage "quonset " is 40x80 with 12" concrete floor(just hung my first light in it last night-shhh dont tell my wife)
a 50x100 hay shed and 30x45 barn-open on one side.
i picked up a 10'x16' 1/2 log sided shed for lawnmower storage.it was free.

Wow TJ! Could hide from people for a week with that much space!
Er, I mean have some...

I got nutton, lol.

That is cool though, all that room. Man I want a barn. I am mandated to only welding outside. The fire wasn't even that big. sheesh