Votes: 8 24.2%
  • other stain

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
am still laughing about the tensioner thing. We should not be allowed in public. Or to post after 9.

So cool and thanks again Tom. I plan on taking down the (haha) scaffolding and toe rail tomorrow or Monday to get a good pic.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
...as long as the whole structure is not laid on it's side by the coming storm.

LOL! Man, that would suck.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Ahhh, well....

Good to hear the shingles are on...and it seems to me like you are pretty well protected by the trees... but there is a bit of a sichyashun when roofing this time of year... and especially when a tornoolie is headed your way...

It takes more than a few days of warmth and sunlight for the self-sealing strips on asphalt shingles to do their job.

I know.
from experience.
but that's a longer story, again...

Here's the real deal, after the fact, as it may be... but the best explanation of what's going on that I know of...
http://www.donan.com/assets/files/selfSealingAsphalt-TechBulliten1-sealStrip.pdf

...But I'm positive abt Sandy and don't expect you will have any probs of consequence. :)

Best
rc

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
lookn grate,Dan!
up here when roofing gets late in the season we have to "tab" our shingles.thats a little blob of roofing cement under every shingle tab.i hope the weather /wind doesent get too extreme and thrash your fine workmanship.
we had a snowstorm two weeks ago,its going to take at least two months to clean up one campground in the provincial park.fortunately i tore a tendon in my arm,i get to operate machinery instead of dragging scrub into piles.and no chainsaw work.

so now i get to live in the park during the week and home on weekends.

looking forward to Tom's rendering...
in there is a picnic table and firepit.
picture taken form the grapple equipped skidsteer.and it has a heater. ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
So far the wind is not to bad. Not even gail force yet. (maybe a Gertrude)

Just checked and shingles look good. Ridge caps look like they are waiting for the wind to come around to fly away. The way the storm is supposed to run, it should get all the wind around 270 degrees. The worst would be blocked by the trees, like you said Rusty.

Do wish I had gotten around to cementing as suggested TJ.

No leaks inside, so far.

But will be a great test.

Electricity just went out again. 3rd time today. Am on a laptop and PdaNet. which is kinda cool. beats sitting in the dark wondering.

Man, I am glad I had that one tree taken down!

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
No bad winds yet and still looks fine. Made some changes to the tarp/door. LOL, thanks again GN.

but so far, so good......

(Just chronicling for future reference)

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Good luck over there, Dan! I just read the interweb news on the storm now that I am home from work. Things should be getting calmer right around midnight for you.
I am going to check utube for videos of it next.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wohoo! all good and no roofing was harmed in filming this. No leaks

Checking inside this moring, can see sunlight threw the vent/ridge but that was from sitting on it near the apex of a truss. Is a hole about the size of a pencil.

Funny part was the "scaffolding" was fine too.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Good news Dan, I know how it is to think about all the hard work getting blown off the roof. I had some of the felt blow off of my house when I built it, the wind got up right before a summer storm so there I was refelting and wondering if it would happen again before we (I) could finish the roof.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am glad to hear that it survived the storm!
It is perhaps a true testament to the quality of your shed construction craftsmanship?

Maby a new business venture?
"Dan's Super Sheds - proven hurricane proof - none better for your money"

Anyways, congratulations and I hope that you can get to detailing the interior soon!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL (and thanks) GN.

Got the siding up on the forward/front peak. I had trouble holding up the panels with one arm and nailing em on with the other hand. So they ended up about a 3/8ths off plumb. No one is ever gonna see it but man, frustrating.

LOL, Carol is under 2 sweatshirts and a tarp. Getting chilly up our way.

Feels great though. No more panicking at forecasts for rain.

I keep forgetting to get a pic during the day and not at sunset/quitting timeish. But them shingles really do look awesome and haphazard. Therefore hiding all the "ut-ohs"

Gotta decide now. Doors or second coat of stain. Thinking stain is more important for now. The "GN style, hide & go" tarp/door is fine.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Good news Dan, I know how it is to think about all the hard work getting blown off the roof. I had some of the felt blow off of my house when I built it, the wind got up right before a summer storm so there I was refelting and wondering if it would happen again before we (I) could finish the roof.
Oh man Greg. Bet that was frustrating and worrisome.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, rub it in Greg.

Still cracks me up, from Paul; "Go shovel your snow"

(It has been a few years but I gotta come up with a come back. But what can you say to 82F year round!? LOL)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Har, lol Steve.

Fat lotta help he is. He ain't got no thumbs neither! Couldn't even sign the thank you note for his neuticals. Even after we got him the "Pitbull" set at great expense.

The dang ingrate.....

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I hardly ever use a hammer anymore, since our son moved out a couple of years ago I have used both of my nail guns. For me its much easier to hold something in place and just pull the trigger.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
So the words out on the street. Stewie De Cat is packing like a pit bull and when the moment arrives, what's he got to offer? Sparks! And you want a Thank You note?

Your lucky that he can't dial a phone because there are thousands of lawyer who would take the case pro bono on humanitarian grounds :)

Steve.