Are we in the electric Vehicle Revolution?

GoldenMotor.com

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I hope it works out an gets mass produced for cheap someday, I really want to see this technology take off and become mainstream in price and availability. Electrics are so much fun and the torque and smooth reliable thrust is great too, just hard on the wallet right now.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Here's another eBike spotting. While watching Ridiculousness with my boys, a category came up called "whiskey throttle" and this eBike had so much torque that it flipped this big guy off the bike in a heart beat.
You can hear one of the guys say "You know the bike is dangerous". At least he was warned before hand. lol

Attachments

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I really think electric's are starting to win the battle. A lot of the reason is because Tesla is showing the way so successfully that other's like VW, and BMW are now trying to play catch up. That's one reason.

But for motor bicycles we have even bigger incentive to go electric. I didn't even know anything about this when I bought my eBike, but now I'm rapidly becoming all about it.

I have to confess, you know I've loved my gas motor bicycles for 3 years, but now almost overnight they're practically dead to me. If there were a lot of them it might be different, but now with the rise of the electric bikes that's unlikely to ever change. The problem with a gas bike like a china girl is if you want to ride with anyone else, they pretty much have to be riding on another china girl. Bicycles are too slow, and motorcycles are too fast. Another problem the gas bikes have is acceptance. No one wants to ride with them on the bike trails or sidewalks. The reasoning whether valid, or not is always the same. They're noisy, they're stinky, and they're too fast. The too fast part is the biggest problem.

I started riding my electric 3 months ago in the dead of winter. Riding time in the saddle was short until only about a month ago. Now it's warming up and I'm riding a lot more, and I've quickly discovered a very surprising phenomena in Dallas that's probably being repeated all over the country.

Bicycling is becoming extremely popular all over the city. I'm coming late to the party, but even the people that have been involved since the start agree it's happened quickly. Dallas was always considered one of the most unfriendly bicycle city's in the country. Everything is so spread out far, and wide that it takes too long to get anywhere on a bicycle. The distance made bicyclers feel separated, and isolated. Also it's so hot in the summer. There weren't many dedicated bike paths. All that changed rapidly, and I never even noticed till buying an electric bicycle.

You won't be aware of any of this riding a gas bike, because you can't get "in", because of the reasons already mentioned. An electric bike is a whole different story. eBikes have the ability to ride just as slow as any bicycle, but also as fast as any gas motor bicycle. They can be silent. That don't emit any odors. You can pedal them when you ride. But best of all, when riding with bicycles they fit right in. Some of the bicyclers are greeny winnies. Gas bikes drive them crazy, but electrics elicit no such negative reaction. It would be hard for them to complain anyway, because many of them commuted to the ride on the electric train system.

That's what's different now. The Federally funded trains, plus all the federally funded bike trails. It's helped more than anything else to make Dallas become a bicycle cultural juggernaut, and it's probably happening all around the country. If you don't ride a bicycle, or an eBike you're probably not even be aware of it. I wasn't.

It's changing everything. Now inner city people are mingling with people from the burbs on bicycle rides which always seem to end up as a social party type of gathering. These are not for the most part spandexers. There might be a few, but these are mostly casual riders, by the hundreds. I've been riding all my life with, and without groups, but I've never seen anything like this. These rides include people of all ages, all walks of life, and all ethnic groups. I should add that the internet and face book has a lot to do with it too.

So far in a few short weeks I haven't seen a lot of electric bikes. Only 4 so far including mine, but I haven't seen one single gas bike. Wherever I've been there's always a lot of interest in our electrics, and no one is trying to exclude us. I've quickly made a lot of new friends, and I'm pretty sure nothing we're doing is harming the future of electric bicycles. It's only going to get better.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Here's an example of what I talking about. This was the first ride I attended a few weeks ago. I found out about it on face book. I didn't know a single soul there, but I ended up having a great time. It was near downtown. A lot of these people are inner city, but some rode the train from as far away as Fort Worth, and some from the burbs. This place in the video was 22 miles from my house. I rode there on my eBike. The video is pretty crappy because my camera battery went flat so I couldn't do much editing, but this will give you an idea what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmESmMOOURw

sminvt

Mar 16, 2014
Vermont
Hi,
I'm new to this forum but not to electric vehicles. I did my first car conversion, a 67 Saab 96 back in 91. I've been involved with EV's ever since and right now am installing a 14 KwHr pack in a pure electric Honda Insight. I've done some motorcycles too and am about to start making some custom bicycles. My observation is that perceived performance limitations were created by people compairing these vehicles to those of a mature technology. A 50 mile range was not too bad in the old days and I'd tell folks to go walk 50 miles then come tell me that isn't very far. A rediculous argument that I long ago gave up on. Now we have lithium though so range and performance is really not a problem. cost is still pretty high though.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Performance vs. Cost is the biggest issue for a budget builder like me. I simply cannot afford any battery with decent range at anything like gas engine performance.
I am familiar with the potential power of electric bikes, but until batteries come down in price I am firmly in the IC camp.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...yet, that's much like pointing at a Bugatti Veyron and claiming cars are impractical for commuting.

It's all about which tool for what job - sure the high end stuff gets all the attention, everyone "wants" to go fast & far but for actual, daily application none of these price & range counters make as much sense as they may seem.

These two bikes cost almost exactly the same, you might be surprised at which gets used all the time & which sits dusty in the corner - I'll give you a hint though, fast & shiny doesn't mean as much if you just want to make a store run w/o any fuss & muss;

There's oft a vast gulf between "want" & "need" ;)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
My great china girls and my moped are collecting dust. I haven't ridden any of them since October. That's when I went electric. Sound familiar?

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
My great china girls and my moped are collecting dust. I haven't ridden any of them since October. That's when I went electric. Sound familiar?
I might be in the same boat and I haven't even finished my last 2 stroke project. Im considering selling what I have and putting it all into the E bike fund. My current 2 stroker has plenty of zip and good top end Im not sure what more Ill get by building another one while spending several hundred bucks to squeeze out another bit of horsepower. Currently my bike just whomps on my buddies arrow 4.5 motor set-up so Im thinking about calling it good.

Also I had a really cool thought today. I could build one or two electrics and I only need one battery to power them which would really lower the cost of the second build. Im thinking mid drive for my Rockhopper and front wheel drive for my Dyno that was being built for my next 2 stroke project.

And yes Ive decided to splurge on my battery lol.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I liked this comment posted underneath the article. Bold lettering is my editing btw.

E-bikers MUST get organized and put the same pressure on attention seeking politicians as the anti E-bike whiners. If the E-bike community does not start to fight back hard they will be run over by the same type of overweight, in drastic need of exercise, individuals as we see in that City Hall photo op. People who clearly are in serious need of an E-bike.
However I agree that a certain percentage of e-bike riders are making a public nuisance of themselves which is likely to ruin things for everyone. And yes I'm well aware that car drivers in cities have been making a nuisance of themselves for years, but nobody seems to mind that.

.xx.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I liked this comment posted underneath the article. Bold lettering is my editing btw.

However I agree that a certain percentage of e-bike riders are making a public nuisance of themselves which is likely to ruin things for everyone. And yes I'm well aware that car drivers in cities have been making a nuisance of themselves for years, but nobody seems to mind that.

.xx.
People in cars, taxis, trucks, and motorcycles have made a public nuisance of themselves daily in NYC since the wheel was invented. When exactly are they gonna start banning those vehicles from the road? No hypocrisy there. None at all. lafflaff

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
It's interesting the way eBikes are treated in different parts of the country. Tonight I was riding through the town of Highland Park. The richest part of Dallas. I was on my way to a ride, and was blowing through all the stop signs, but only riding about 13 mph. A police cruiser drove by me and just kept going. He not only could care less that I was on an eBike, but didn't seem to mind much that I was ignoring the stop signs too.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
It's interesting the way eBikes are treated in different parts of the country. Tonight I was riding through the town of Highland Park. The richest part of Dallas. I was on my way to a ride, and was blowing through all the stop signs, but only riding about 13 mph. A police cruiser drove by me and just kept going. He not only could care less that I was on an eBike, but didn't seem to mind much that I was ignoring the stop signs too.
Of all the places in the USA, you would think NYC would welcome e-bikes with open arms with all the crap noise, pollution, and congestion that speck of an island called Manhattan has. Think again. LMAO