Are we in the electric Vehicle Revolution?

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Mongo is still going strong, not bad for a $1000 48v 1000w 15ah LiFePO4 ebike;

Around 30mph for 30mi, not so different then the Optibike quoted above... 'cept pennies that is ;)

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
It had a lot going for it, but for the kind of riding I do, which is mostly street riding I like my bomber a lot better.

That bike isn't their top line bike so it's not terribly fast. I think he said it does about 35 mph. Like that's not fast, what a laugh huh LOL?? Actually it's plenty fast.

For hill climbing it's probably unsurpassed, but in the city it had a couple shortcomings. Number one, it's not silent. Silence is golden when you're riding with a herd of bicycles, or riding on a crowded bike trail. The motor has a kind of irritating sound like gears gashing when you apply a lot of power to it.

Another thing I wasn't wild about is you have to shift it through a few gears riding off from a stop. You don't really have to, but if you ride off in a higher gear acceleration is slow. That's great for hill climbing, but a pia from every stop compared to just gas it and go like my bike.

It doesn't have a CA. You just get 3 idiot lights. Not even a speedo or odometer. For a bike that expensive I'd like a little more information.

He said he's had several problems with it, and had to ship it back to the factory for warranty repairs 3 times. One of the repairs involved the motor mount coming loose, and spinning the motor, which he said cut the power wires.

He's happy with it though, and it seems like the problems have all been sorted out.

Gear gashing sound? That means it's a geared BMC hub. Quick to accelerate but also quick to fail. The Stealths DD hub will far outlast it in reliability. BMC hubs also cost more than a DD hub to replace.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Gear gashing sound? That means it's a geared BMC hub. Quick to accelerate but also quick to fail. The Stealths DD hub will far outlast it in reliability. BMC hubs also cost more than a DD hub to replace.
That gives me visions of a china girl pinion gear. Sound's like extra maintenance.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
The Stealth bikes are expensive but are built like tanks and fly like the wind.
I can't understand how the other e-bikes companies can cost much more than the Stealth but offer way less in terms of specs and features.

The Stealth Bomber and Optibike R11 don't even remotely compare specs wise. It's not even close.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
That gives me visions of a china girl pinion gear. Sound's like extra maintenance.
That's exactly what it is. Those hubs will fail much quicker and are much more complicated than the hub on the Stealths. They do get off the line quicker, watt for watt, but that tradeoff is nowhere near worth it.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
From what I've read OptiBikes are hard to work on. To get to the battery you have to remove the motor, and controller. Everything on a Bomber is hanging out saying take me. Nothing is in the way of anything. It's like working on a Sportster.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
From what I've read OptiBikes are hard to work on. To get to the battery you have to remove the motor, and controller. Everything on a Bomber is hanging out saying take me. Nothing is in the way of anything. It's like working on a Sportster.
Plus the Stealth Bomber just looks like it means business. Purpose-built.

The Optibikes geared hub will fail because of it's complexity and there is no preventative maintenance you can do to prolong its time before failure. Both DD and BMC are basically both maintenance free, but only the DD hub will last. When the BMC hub fails you have 2 choices after it does fail, replace it entirely or send it somewhere to be repaired. LOL

BMC hubs also are climb hills better, watt for watt, due to its gears which explains why it got up Pikes Peak first.

If you pour enough amps into a DD hub, then the BMC hubs hill climbing advantage is quickly wiped out.

DD hubs can also take gob more watts than a BMC hub can handle.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
For a motor bicycle a hub motor seems good enough to me. There's only so much power you really need on a bicycle.. I'm sure you could probably use a hub motor as a mid drive though. One moving part has a lot of appeal.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
For a motor bicycle a hub motor seems good enough to me. There's only so much power you really need on a bicycle.. I'm sure you could probably use a hub motor as a mid drive though. One moving part has a lot of appeal.
Some people are drilling a hole in the hub case and dumping automotive ATF fluid inside to lube those gears up so they don't burn up. LOL

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yes, no transmission is a big part of why I like direct drive hub.

No gear noise and no gear worries. Easy & simple.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I saw one of the coolest eBikes today in Japantown. When I first saw this bike, I noticed the huge grin on the owner's face. When he stopped for a cup of joe, I casually walked across the street and checked it out. Everything on the bike looked fabricated, even the front spokes. Check out his cool gearing set up.

Attachments

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
It looks like the bike uses two hub motors attached to a car tire
That's wild isn't it? Look at all those sprockets, that's a gearhead's delight isn't it? Did you see the guy that was riding it? I wonder what he looked like lol?

That really solves the problem of where to put the battery's, and the sink.