Felt Cruiser Build......not for cruising

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yeeeeeaah! I got some really good news yesterday from Felt Bicycles........they are going to send a replacement frame for me to build my race bike back up again. Just another reason that I really like Felt bikes......these guys take care of business and the consumers of the well built bikes.

This will really save me hours of painstaking work to get my racer back up and running......now if I can just figure out how to get that gas tank back out of the frame? This is gonna be some challenging fun........yay!

Thanks Felt!

dance1

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Yeeeeeaah! I got some really good news yesterday from Felt Bicycles........they are going to send a replacement frame for me to build my race bike back up again. Just another reason that I really like Felt bikes......these guys take care of business and the consumers of the well built bikes.

This will really save me hours of painstaking work to get my racer back up and running......now if I can just figure out how to get that gas tank back out of the frame? This is gonna be some challenging fun........yay!

Thanks Felt!

dance1
That's awesome Scott!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Wow, Scotto-! That is awesome for sure!
I am surprised that Felt stood behind their frame after it was monster motorized, putting it way beyond what it was designed to do.
They really are a great company!
I pass their factory outlet store each time I go to my tax accountant, I should stop in sometime to have a look around.
Try some Vaseline on the tank when you beat it out, or just cut the poor mangled frame. I'd hate to hear that that fine tank was damaged during it's transplant.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Today I tore the Slant down to the bare frame and took it to the shop to be sent out for a replacement. While I was at it I took the valve cover off to check the lash and then removed the cylinder head to re-check the deck height and make sure there was good clearance in the upper end..........here's some pics

more tomorrow, time to rest;)

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
And a few more for good measure.......

and yes, I did have to cut the frame to get the gas tank out

this is not your ordinary HF 212cc engine......not even close

Can't wait to put it all back together again!

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Great progress, and totally awesome of Felt to help you out. Don't forget to ask Paul for a couple new stickers, eh? Aside from the teeny bit of carbon on the valves, she looks fresh out of the box! You take great care of her, for sure.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
hey bro those rocker's look a little different than the stocker's. and why is there no carbon on the piston and combustion chamber? care to explain??? dennis

Last edited:

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
a little bit of corrosion above the ring line and absence of carbon leads me to believe...that you...enjoy a edge....when you race bro!

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
hey bro those rocker's look a little different than the stocker's. and why is there no carbon on the piston and combustion chamber? care to explain??? dennis
That is hard to explain seeing as how that's after two different race events and some serious testing and joy rides. Maybe it's the race fuel I mixed up? It honestly looks like it's never been started up outside of the small carbon build up on the stainless steel valves. I'm quite pleased it's running so clean. It's at least 12:1 compression.

Those are the billet steel rockers on there, I like them.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i like them too bro! i cant tell from the angle if their 1to1 or not. i know you got 200+ psi from lifting the bike off the stand pull starting it. your correct that some fuels dont allow carbon to form but are corrosive and it gets in the oil and can cause problems if it sits. but i know you know. and you also know that some fuels dont need a spark once going... and only will stop when out of fuel. kinda tuff with a float bowl full of TNT! glad your ok. dennis

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I finally got some good news on the replacement frame last Monday as Bicycle Warehouse called and said a slime green Bixby frame was available if I wanted. Seeing as it's the same frame, of course I said yes please......so it's finally on it's way. I should be able to get the bike back up in time for the April Grange race......yeah baby!

Look out :eek: brnot .wee. dnut dance1

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
green bixby frame = the Hulk
Finally today I get to pick up the "Incredible Hulk" frame......er....actually a whole bike. All I need is the frame but I guess you get what ya get lol. A big thanks to Q at Felt Bicycles for getting me a new race frame.....he's the man!

I needed some spare parts for my race engine so I figured the cheapest thing to do is buy a spare 212cc Predator engine for $100. Here are some pics of my spare parts.....

Funny thing is that there are some small differences between my first 212cc Pred (1st Generation) and this one (prolly second Gen.). The way I see it is that the 1st Gen has slightly higher compression than this one, even though this one uses a much thinner head gasket.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here are the first shots of the new Slant transforming into the "Incredible Hulk" starring B. Bixby. This frame is not the exact same dimensions as the original Slant......I have to build a new gas tank for it as the space for the tank is smaller......quite a bit smaller.

Hope I don't run into to many more hurdles re-building this once built bike :-||