what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Skarrd, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Huffydavidson

Huffydavidson STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER

Today rode this Dax engine for one of last time for a bit, at least until my New GT-2a frame arives YEA!!! BLUES GETTING Fred engine when the next rain days come. Until then we'll pray it rains like he!!. Finished custom tubing (1.25") fabrication and ready for the welder Monday morning. Ordered a bag of racing muffer repacking glass to repack the silencer and not compromise performance this massive expansion chamber !!!!

2. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

You are correct on both accounts.
    However.. changing the spark plug gap to tune the timing is not the best or sometimes correct way to go about it.
    The spark plug gap should be set up for best overall performance and burn needs of the engine covering the entire range of RPM's and loads encountered.
    Let the ignition system do it's job of controlling when the spark occurs.
    Note: spark plug gap also affects it's heat saturation, you can affect a spark plug to operate hotter by opening up the gap a little. Closing it will cause it to run a little cooler. This can help tune the operating heat range of the spark plug to be more or less resistant to fouling or overheating.

3. Cruise

Cruise New Member

I've done a bunch of stuff lately with my bike, but today's couldn't go unreported.
    I fired up my new chopper for the first time. Took it around the block a bunch of times to get started on running it in.
    Happy to hear its voice. My custom header work might have been a lucky combo as it's nice and quiet.
    Here's a pic as it is. There's still a lot to do to neaten it up and paint it, but I'm going to run all the bugs out before addressing that.

Attached Files:

4. Intrepid Wheelwoman

Intrepid Wheelwoman New Member

Cool, - nothing like hearing something run for the first time. Your bike's looking good.

5. ddesens

ddesens New Member

Awesome looking bike! ✴

6. fasteddy

fasteddy Well-Known Member

Bike looks great. Nothing nicer than hearing it sing for the first time unless it's the first ride around the block.

Steve.

7. CTripps

CTripps Active Member

Today will be 'seal everything' and solder connections day for the new bike.

I took it up the lane (uphill) behind the garage and on the way down when I engaged the motor it went 'whut-whut-whut-POP-whut-whut-POP-POP-whut-BrAP! BraAaAaAAAAAAAAAA!' started! It's alive!

There's not much to it, but I posted a thread over here for it.

8. ddesens

ddesens New Member

Today I rode the bike around the neighborhood a few times. I have been working so much lately haven't had time to ride. My next upgrade is the bigger chain. I'm using bicycle chain for the drive side.

9. dracothered

dracothered New Member

Better get yourself a heat shield for your family items... if you get what I mean... laff

10. Allen_Wrench

Allen_Wrench Resident Mad Scientist

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...

11. dracothered

dracothered New Member

We have a weener...

12. dracothered

dracothered New Member

Yesterday I struggle with mounting a motorcycle tire on a moped rim only to find that it wouldn't seat right in one area. Took it off and sold it today, then ordered one that I hope works out better. Today I mounted the front tire on its rim and cut a couple slots in the hub to be able to use the speed-o gear head (or what ever it is called). The tire went on really nice an should give me a lot of service out of it. This is going on my Puch Bobber...

13. Cruise

Cruise New Member

After my first run on the new build, (pic shown a few posts ago) I found it to be a bit rattly- more than expected for a new build. Found out it had rattled off the rear mount bracket and nuts completely!
    Lucky I didn't push it too hard at all and parked it.
    Replaced missing bits last night with new bolts and nylocks etc so am excited about continuing the run in after work today.

14. culvercityclassic

culvercityclassic Well-Known Member

I got the forks sized up and mocked up a roller... Now to get the other one

Attached Files:

15. xseler

xseler Well-Known Member

I likey a lot!!

16. Ouch that Hurt

Ouch that Hurt New Member

Blew another woodruff key. This time on the chain drive gear. Can i get this welded on? Will it mess stuff up if i ever have to take it apart?

Also, adjusted the carb. Believe i have the nt. Moved the c clip up one notch. Its gettin really cold here.

Still my daily driver...saved me so much in gas money this summer....its paid for itself.

Peace

17. Ouch that Hurt

Ouch that Hurt New Member

Oohhh pretty blue!!!

18. FractaL64

FractaL64 New Member

Installed my cns carb with the stupid brass cap taken off so i can adjust the air-fuel mixture, getting way better performance than my NT. I love it. I have enough power to do small power-wheelies.

19. Sister Bike

Sister Bike New Member

Is that the optional cigarette lighter?

20. Danschutz

Danschutz New Member

HA I eventually figured it out :cool:
    dnut

Dan.