Villiers beach cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Oh boy... yes, I've seen that video and just watched it again. He sure knows what he's doing. I found that Maytag build interesting. Before I got this motorbicycling bug I had a Maytag washing machine motor that I gave away to a guy who was into old motors. Now I'm into old motors and wonder where my Matag is. Ha! A Villiers will come into my life pretty soon I hope and that will do just fine.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Silverbear thought I'd answer your, what did I pay for the motor, question here.
It was 22 British Pounds or about $35 Canadian. When I asked if he would send it over here he looked it up and said 40 British Pounds or $63 Canadian.

I'm going to put an ad in our electronic ad page here and see what turns up. Vancouver and Victoria was the center of all things British at one time and I'm sure that there are a few Atco mowers tucked away that are moved every once in a while and threatened to be sold but nothing ever happend.

Did you notice that the motors he had in the video were converted to a battery and coil setup? Better and more even spark.

Silverbear, found out more about the motor with the head with the upright plug and the "porcupine" head fins.
It's called a Standard HY or and HY Standard depending on who is telling the story and comes in at a decent 148cc.
It was used on big mowers and tillers and stationary things like water pumps. If it was stationary it has a fan fly wheel and a shroud.

Saw one on the net but he wasn't interested in shipping it. That monster on a bike would get you into Ely with time to spare.

Steve.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Harry, if you look on You Tube you will find a video of him making the VW engine.

Did you see how he started both motors. Both by putting it up on the bike stand and just pedaling down the road until it started.

Hope that motor is yours at the end of the auction.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Fasteddy,
Even with shipping, that's a decent price for the motor. Of course you still have to come up with a carb for it. If you can find a couple locally and not have to ship any distance that would be very cool. I'm thinking the chances of finding those in the states is slim. On the other hand you found that first one in Minnesota. How much bigger is that 148cc... and that's a two stroke? We're talking pretty serious power, don't you think? I see that Villiers also made the British Seagull outboard motors. Hummm, I've got this thing for old boats, too, ya see. Wonder what one of those would cost...
Harry, good luck with that motor you're bidding on. $25.00? I wonder what that would be in U.S. dollars.
SB

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Dont even think about it SB, its mine LOL. Not that many years ago (maybe 5-10) the Aussie dollar was at US$0.50. Imagine how cheap they would have been for you

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
It may be a Commonwealth thing too. We being former colonies the Pommies take pity on us for the years of hardship we suffered.
Well you folks suffered. We were the dumping ground for the failed Lords and Ladies.

They were known as Remittance Men because they were payed a remittance to stay away from the Old Country. Got into a few fights mentioning that when they said something about ****ing colonials.

Steve.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey silverbear, you should have kept that Maytag motor. They're really a blast to run, and you can restore one in just a few days. Here's some of mine. I have 6 or 8 singles and twins.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Keep meaning to mention that I also bought a Hurth three speed transmission as well from the same person that I got the Villiers motor from.
It has a shifting lever with a wood knob and came from Germany where he bought it.
It was from a motorcycle that had a 200cc Villiers engine in it but the name has been lost in the buying and selling.

The price was $202.50 and I bought it just incase there may be a use for it somewhere in one of the builds. I'll see if I can bring a photo over here from the Ebay ad that I saved but I usually lose them.

Msrfan, I never knew there were so many different Maytags. Very nice collection and restorations.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Harry, don't know if this will help you with the gear ratios but the inner sprocket on the transmission has a 20 tooth sprocket and the outer sprocket has a 40 tooth sprocket.

I'll frisk the Villiers motorcycle sites and see if I can find out what the 198cc engine had for a sprocket and the final drive sprocket tooth count on the rear wheel.

Steve.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks Steve, but i dont know what to do with those figures you gave me. LOL. Im waiting for the shops to open then im off to Tampico (tool and machinery shop) to hopefully find or at least order a pulley. I have absolutely no idea what i should expect to pay but im hoping under $50. I think ill try and get a 100mm pulley and just give it a go. Then ill go and try and find some steel for this and my other Indian project. Sounds like an easy task but ive been having trouble (i miss my old job where i had access to all the steel i wanted).

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I asked the the chap that I bought the motor from for permission to tell every one about the site that he had some of his bikes on. These bikes have been sold or were lost in a fire.

U.S. Scooter Museum

Click on scooters, then on the company logos on the left.

Any marked Dave Bagne, Hutchinson Minnesota are his. There are a lot of scooter of course but also a large number of motorized bicycles.

Harry, I asked him for advice as to how to gear the bike without a jackshaft and he didn't reply to that part so I guess we are on our own.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Harry, isn't that a good example of life. You don't need steel and there is an abundance and as soon as you do need it there isn't any.

At the last of the museum site there is a really nice original Indian that someone swapped a Whizzer motor into in the early 40's and it looked good.

Steve.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I had a quick look Steve, i seen some cool stuff but totally different setups. Ill have to have a closer look later.
Msrfan, since u have all those maytag engines have you thought about adapting one to a bike like BUDDFAB did. Its such a neat looking setup. I know after i saw the Maytag video i jumped online to see if i could find one. But nothing. Im sure they are pretty few and far between, at least in my neck of the woods. But if i ever come across one i will be snapping it up.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
The engine i was bidding on is up to $41 so i wont be bidding on it. Its not going, minus a flywheel and carb but does have a very unique exhaust. I see them for this price or cheaper for complete cylinder (reel) mowers. And as it stands at present i have a 50cc and 66cc chinagirl, 2 x 3hp Briggs and Stratton, 2 x Villiers 98cc and a 160cc Victa so i have more engines then bikes to put them in. In saying that if i see a bargain buy i wont be able to pass it up LOL

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
OOOOH love that site... way to make me jealous LOL.
Well just got back from steel and pulley shopping empty handed. Im home to get directions to a place that i was referred to about a pulley, as the shop i went to have no pulleys with threads on them.
And i went to a few steel places.... nothing. And no-one seems to have any useful scrap for me to buy so i resorted goin to buy some new stuff. Well i found a piece of 700mm (27.5") x 700mm x 2mm (for the fuel tank) and said id take it. But he wanted nearly $50 for it and as much for a few metres of 25mm (1") steel tube (for my Indian frame). The total was $100, i nearly choked and told him i would pass. I used to get this stuff for free so am having a hard time parting with that sort of money. Im gonna have to take a drive into one of the bigger metal recyclers i think. Or find something made of metal and cut it up. This is frustrating

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Why couldn't you run a wire from the head bolt to a kill switch on the handlebar and from the switch back to the spark plug? Not that pressing the spring steel piece against the plug is hard or anything. Just thinking up a what if. I still like that kick start if there's a way to use it.
SB
You would have to use wire with insulation that would hold the high voltage that the ignition coil produces or it would drain off the spark and the engine wouldn't run very well.