Villiers beach cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Harry,
Sorry to hear that they have closed down on you but not surprised. I thought Canada was the Queen of all nanny states but you have us beaten by far.

They have required the bottom of rear fenders and a reflector here since the mid 1930's.
Fenders were mandatory as well since I was stopped as a kid for not having them and sent home and told not to ride it again unless I had them installed.

As for the frame with a number look up Helmut on the forum. I'm pretty sure he sells his frames with a manufactuers statement of origin that is ok'd by the government and will sell it as you want it. Just a thought and you will have to double check it.

He was at least decent about it and gave you a chance with a warning.

If your going to go electric look at the Endles Sphere site. E-vehicles of all types and a very good and helpful bunch of people. Look up the e-bike archives here on our forum. The Aussie Jester has built bikes from the frame up and they are incredible.
Even more so since he is confined to a wheelchair. His riding set up is outstanding.

Steve.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Harry go to local RTA and get youre state regs for motorized pushbikes ! most states laws use the wording "public highway" when refering to roads or divided highway /freeway when refering to Major highways. Freeways are a no no for us but unless sign posted otherwise all other roads are ok in vic as long as you obey the road rules ken
Yeah thanks Wilrod, i will definitely do that, it sounded a little unusual to me. And youre saying he may have confused which roads i cannot use, sounds about right to me..... only problem is, even if we are right about that, next time im pulled over by the same police officer hes likely to be a little upset when i explain hes wrong, but i guess ill worry about that if and when it happens.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
also harry re read "front rego plate" 1/4 hp ken
I know what you mean, im not sure it would fool many police officers but worth a try. This police officer said hed be happy with something printed off the net saying this motor was infact a 1/4HP engine, i wonder if i could edit something?

Also something saying its 48cc would be nice.... it doesnt say anything about engine cc's in the QLD DOT website but i think there is a limit of 50cc.... i really need to go down like you said and ask for them, hopefully they can help me out.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Harry,
Sorry to hear that they have closed down on you but not surprised. I thought Canada was the Queen of all nanny states but you have us beaten by far.

They have required the bottom of rear fenders and a reflector here since the mid 1930's.
Fenders were mandatory as well since I was stopped as a kid for not having them and sent home and told not to ride it again unless I had them installed.

As for the frame with a number look up Helmut on the forum. I'm pretty sure he sells his frames with a manufactuers statement of origin that is ok'd by the government and will sell it as you want it. Just a thought and you will have to double check it.

He was at least decent about it and gave you a chance with a warning.

If your going to go electric look at the Endles Sphere site. E-vehicles of all types and a very good and helpful bunch of people. Look up the e-bike archives here on our forum. The Aussie Jester has built bikes from the frame up and they are incredible.
Even more so since he is confined to a wheelchair. His riding set up is outstanding.

Steve.
Are you saying regular bicycles need wheel guards to ride on the road?... From what i understand that is the new law here, if thats the case does that mean all the road bicycles you see will have to have them, along with chain guards.... i cant see that happening.

It annoys me that fuel is so dear, the roads are full with bumper to bumper traffic and our government continue to deter people from riding bikes, this law will decrease the number of riders, like our mandatory helmet laws have..... and studies have shown that a rider with a helmet is more likely to be hit by a car because its been proven that a car driver will give a wider berth to a helmetless bicycle rider, not to mention all the injuries that occur from wearing a hemet (twisting of the neck etc).... i think it should be the riders choice whether or not to wear a helmet..... RANT OVER LOL

I highly doubt Helmutts frames (as nice as they are) would be able to be registered for road use in Australia with our strict road laws. I could make a frame easy enough so it wouldnt be hard to buy a vintage scooter, register it, then store it away and stamp those numbers into my custom made frame, or use the part of the scooter frame with the numbers...... the bike would already be registered and likely have vintage rego so the police would just think i was riding a vintage motorcycle and i very highly doubt EVER pull me over other then to admire it.

Yeah ive seen AussieJesters bikes, very cool. He builds more of a cruiser whereas i like vintage builds, but i did see and love Firebikes electric bike....Electric seems a little dear at first, but like he said how much do we spend on fuel and oil and other parts not needed with an electric bike...... hes not in a wheelchair is he?????

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
That sucks brother. Just can't let people go around willy nilly. They may grow up to be bank robbers or murderers! I takes a special person to be a cop (barf)

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Harry,
The problem with stamping your own numbers here in Canada is that it has to be on a plate issued from the manufactuer. Swap the plate and more trouble than you can imagine in your wildest dreams. I'm sure Oz is no different.

I was thinking if Helmut has been cleared to build frames and motor bikes you should be able to register it since he would be able to sell the frames with certificate of origin. The same as buying a aftermarket motorcycle frame.
No certificate, no deal.

We don't need fenders here now. I'm talking over 55 years ago. Unless it's a beach cruiser I don't think many bikes have fenders now.

Yes, the Aussie Jester is in a wheel chair. Had a tire on his motorcycle go bad and he went off it.

Steve.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
In that case i use the part of the scooter frame (cut away the rest of the frame) with the numbers, then i have only modified my frame illegally rather then rebirthing a bike which would carry a harsher penalty, the bike would be ordered off the road, but if i did the build cheaply that wouldnt be a big deal. If pulled over and questioned id just say i took off all the bulky stuff and seat etc and made it look old by installing a vintage tank and seat etc..... it would have most of the things (lights, full fenders etc) to be legal so i doubt the cops would investigate further, and i wouldnt ever plan on selling it so no worries there. Im thinking something similar to the Albitrie bike..... that was what i was thinking.

Helmutts frames arent really an option for me as the price of the frame + freight to OZ would be more then what i would plan to spend on the entire build. Plus i know a lot of people that import chopper frames then cant register them in OZ, id be taking an already registered vintage scooter or small motorcycle and modifying it to resemble a road version of a BTR

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Harry,
That's what I figured with the cost. Seems they want you to use only parts that are made there.

We are supposed to have anything inspected if it's altered as far as the frame and suspension goes. They can get nasty about it but not as nasty as moving the vin number plate. Been a very long time since I did anything with frames.

The last time was a Triumph chopper and the head light was 1/4" too high. I was in a room watching through a window and one of the 3 tech's held a tape from the floor to the head light and another one let air out of the tire until it was the right height. They told me later that they could do that because the tire had to much air in it.

Steve.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
In OZ, don't know if it's different where you are, but once registered it would not need to be inspected while if kept registered. The only way it would be inspected if ordered by police or ran into a DOT roadside inspection

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Harry,
Pretty much the same here except where there is snow and ice. They use a lot of salt to help clear it up and those states and provinces have a yearly inspection to look for rust damage. This part of the country is usually called the Rust Belt area.

Quite something to see the roads in the spring. It looks like they have been painted with white paint until the rain washes them clean. It's salt residue.

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Its the same here in the states the uper Midwest salt. I have a 86 ford pickup I think next year my feet will be hanging through the floor. Here in Minnesota we are aloud 50CC max or you have to get a motorcycle driver lisence and regester the bike with all the lights................Curt

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Harry,
My part of the country is good. I have a 1984 Dodge motor home with the factory marks still underneath it like it came off the assembly line.
Here it's mostly the eastern part of the country as well as the north eastern parts into some of the mid north western parts of the U.S.

Steve.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Ya know, even in the salt capitol, Cleveland Ohio, where they have that big salt mine under lake Erie and can put all the salt on the roads that they want, all I ever did was wash my car as often as I could. No heated garage. And I seldom had money for an actual car wash, so I'd get out my hose and a stiff sponge for the stubborn parts. I had Camaros, a Firebird, a 260z, an old Caddy, a New Yorker, on and on. All of them were rust free.

Except the Datsun 210 wagon. It seemed like no matter what I did for it, it was always at death's door. The floor was gone before I knew it; the carpet kept up appearances. One day, with all fluid levels at norm, I was cruising at 45 when the engine blew - and seized. Before even getting to 100K. That was the most anemic, asthmatic, little gelding of a lemon I have ever had the misfortune to pay money for.

wilrod

Jul 20, 2011
Horsham, Victoria, Australia
well it looks like we have got a bit side tracked so I may as well let you all in on the weather here in Victoria the garden state Im lucky as we only have to put up with getting down to 0 deg c once or twice a year , so we dont have to put up with snow ,ice ,tornadoes, hurricains,cyclons, I live a town called Horsham which is 3 1/2 hours drive to the nearest beach so no salt to worry about here but!!! come summer and 45 deg c is not uncommon so the only ice I come in contact with is the ice in my esky keeping my beer coldauflg

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I took some pics and i like em so i thought id post em.

Oh my, your Villiers powered motor-bicycle is marvellous. Villiers engines have always been a favourite of mine ever since owning a Francis Barnett Falcon (I never should have sold that bike - sigh). Fortunately I had an opportunity to buy a shed clearance worth's of Villiers engines a year or so ago and I must say that the slope fin engines are my favourite ones too. I have a 28 inch wheeled bicycle with a very solidly made sidecar chassis that I would like to fit one of my Villiers engines to once I have completed my current projects.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks Intrepid..... yeah im a fan of these little Villiers as well. My bike isnt really all that fast but a real joy to ride and hear...... but they also have that vintage look.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with, there are a couple other builders using these motors now also. I have a few engines but always looking for more, and would love to find one with a gearbox attached, or one of the larger Villiers engines.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I have one of these engines and a little Albion 3 speed gearbox to go with it.

I call it my pet engine and I'm still trying to make up my mind about a worthy project to use it on.

From somewhere or another I picked up a lovely Villiers twin exhaust port cylinder barrel with the piston still in it that I wish I had the rest of the engine to go with it. It sits on a shelf in the garage all on its lonesome and I live in hope.
Otherwise the rest of the collection is all 98cc Midgets or else the industrial equivalent intended for motor mowers.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have one of these engines and a little Albion 3 speed gearbox to go with it.

I call it my pet engine and I'm still trying to make up my mind about a worthy project to use it on.

From somewhere or another I picked up a lovely Villiers twin exhaust port cylinder barrel with the piston still in it that I wish I had the rest of the engine to go with it. It sits on a shelf in the garage all on its lonesome and I live in hope.
Otherwise the rest of the collection is all 98cc Midgets or else the industrial equivalent intended for motor mowers.
Wheelwoman,
What a sweet engine. That and the Albion 3 speed would be wonderful for your Velocar project, being both vintage and road capable. It would be just right I would think. I can see your dilemma, however, since it would also be perfect for a light motorcycle type build, say with a sidecar. Does that have a clutch built in?
SB