Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I just couldn't resist taking a poke at the bear with a short sharp stick as it went by.

The funny thing to me is that everyone has the problem that I'm working with when designing the velo car I want to build.

How high should the seat be so that (A) I don't look ridicules getting in and out of it and (B) people don't rush over to help me fearing I'll injure myself. Everything else has worked out quite well except for that.
While I favour the back pocket scrapping lowness of my youth the ugly fact is that getting out of the average chair is at times difficult.
I guess it remains to be worked on when the build time comes.

Steve.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
I just couldn't resist taking a poke at the bear with a short sharp stick as it went by.

The funny thing to me is that everyone has the problem that I'm working with when designing the velo car I want to build.

How high should the seat be so that
(A) I don't look ridicules getting in and out of it and
(B) people don't rush over to help me fearing I'll injure myself.

Everything else has worked out quite well except for that.
While I favour the back pocket scrapping lowness of my youth the ugly fact is that getting out of the average chair is at times difficult.
I guess it remains to be worked on when the build time comes.

Steve.
===================================
Hello Steve,
Excellent short resumé about our seating-dilemmas!
maybe to add:
(C) not to look undignified while seating and driving?

Ciao,
Zoran

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello Zoran,

That is so true. Placement of the seat is everything. I hadn't given it a lot of thought but your right.

I'll be looking at some of the older single and double seat cars to see how they did it.

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Must not need one or we would be rich, I read through the the hole Velocar post and snooping on line in the old cars,looking for the right combo to build something for perfict swap meet buggy. NONE! But i seen this and had to post it is immaculate, with the small cargo bed.

I will end up printing a bunch of copies and then make my own version,or a combo of a couple ...............Curt

petrushka1611

Aug 17, 2015
Xenia, OH
This is my first post here, and I just want to say that it's been a total blast reading this thread. I've read every page, if not quite every word. And y'all have to be some of the most polite, most interesting people I've had opportunity to read online.

I have plans for a velotrike I hope to start building this winter, and I'll be posting a thread about it soon. I've never built anything more complicated than a rudimentary desk, so I'm going to have a bajillion newbie questions.

Peace,

Steve

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Welcome to our forum, Steve. You are in good company. I concur that in my experience this is the best forum on the internet.

I'm sure your velotrike project will be of great interest. Questions are good. Some of the people here have great knowledge of everything from mechanics to engineering, but I would say that most are just normalish people who perhaps never quite totally grew up and retain a youthful exuberance, having never forgotten the joy and freedom of being twelve years old on a bicycle with the wind in your face. Woohoo! And some of us are especially good at thinking outside of the box because we are not aware of what is supposed to be inside the box. Welcome...
SB