Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
After being fascinated by the Chinese tractors and the awesome J A P racer, I watched the Honda RC166 videos in the utube links. Oh my God what a fabulous sound, it gave me goosebumps!
Thank you for the link Ludwig II!

Last edited:

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]Hello,[/FONT]
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]I didn't have to go to China to see unbelievable vehicles, DIY made for "small business"... Belgrade's Gypsies make them to collect useful garbage, mostly card-board, but various metal, old home machines or auto-batteries... Than, they sell all that to recycling companies! No need for any kind of sophisticated and expensive system...Here is a link to 6-part video-clips made of documentary cult film "Pretty Dyana" that visited many international film festivals and collected many prizes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1FjnbwG4F8&list=PL03AE211A477A32B7

Attached are photos that my American friend Peter took in the centre of Belgrade. Those guys made their Eco-trucks from Trabant. Mostly, Gypsies used old Citroen Dyana, because of separate chassis. Such vehicles are quite illegally on the streets, but Police mostly tolerate them...

[/FONT]
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]Ciao, Zoran [/FONT]

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
------
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]Hello Kai,[/FONT]
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]
Thank you on many interesting information, especially scans of French magazines. IW sent us a lot of similar scans... Pity that they are not well readable, but anymore interesting and could be useful.
--- ---
I believe that on the first photo is chassis of your excellent Velocar, in basic form! If you could say us a few technical details:
[/FONT]

• [FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]approximate weight of rolling chassis in that form;[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]basic dimensions (wheel-base and so on);[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]type of wheels that you used and diameter of their axles;what is average speed;[/FONT]
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]On the second and third photo, according to similar background, could be your plywood chassis? But, I couldn't find anywhere did you ever finish Velocar on it? I like to work with wood, so it is interesting to me...[/FONT]

[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]On the fourth and fifth photo are interesting computer sketches of possible variants of Velocar (found more of them – but, forgot where on Internet)... It seems to me that they could be your, according to style of the bodies?[/FONT]

[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]Ciao, Zoran[/FONT]

Attachments

plycar

Aug 11, 2014
Thuringia, Germany
Hello Zoran

The plywood frame isn't finished yet. My velocar has still the steel frame under the plywood body.
Measurements:
Length: 325cm/130inches
Width: 122cm/48inches
Height: 80cm/32inches (body)
115cm/45inches (soft top)
Wheelbase: 210cm/84inches
Weight: 80kg

Kai

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Plycar,
This comment has nothing to do with anything. When I see your location, Thuringia, Germany it puts me in mind of olden times and I picture you wearing furs and leather sandals, looking fierce as a scowling warrior with spear and shield. What a great name... Thuringia!

Of course that imagined outfit doesn't exactly go with your cool velocar, but still... maybe you're pedaling your way to a middle ages reenactment camp. Ha!
SB

plycar

Aug 11, 2014
Thuringia, Germany
SB: My post is an aswer for Moto-classic's question.
If it's "Off Topic" to discuss my velocar in this thread, I can easily create another one.

But, if even my velocar has nothing to do with a velocar-related thread, what has the name of my location to do with it and all your other comments about me and what you suppose I am?

Kai

PS: Thuringia is a state of Germany, like Minnesota is a state of the US.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Please sir,
I meant nothing negative in my post. I was admiring and appreciating what I thought was a wonderful name for a German town. It somehow had an old time sound to it and I let my imagination wander. I meant no criticism of anything, especially not your culture , your homeland or you personally. I like your velocar and am glad you are here on our forum. I apologize for any misunderstanding. Perhaps something has been lost in translation.
I should keep my goofy thought to myself. In our country there are many individuals who dress up in the clothing of former days and gather together to pretend to engage in a historical battle for example, say from the days of the French & Indian wars. Some will dress up as soldiers and others as Indians and they have a great time. That is what I was referring to. Apologies offered.
SB

plycar

Aug 11, 2014
Thuringia, Germany
Hello Silver Bear.

Sorry, If I was reading too much between the lines.
I'm sure, my English abilities have improved over the last years, but it's still a foreign language to me.
So again, sorry, that I had misunderstood your post.
My reaction was too harsh.

If it's not wished, to give further informations about my self build here, I can separate it from this thread, or you contact me via PM.

I'm just intersted in old cars and bikes, especially if combined with simplicity, and this thread is a real treasure trove.
So keep the cool stuff coming.

Regards, Kai

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Please sir, continue on with your commentary and welcome photographs. I am the one who has blundered and should have realized that I might be misunderstood. Your posts are right on target. Mine was the one which did not belong. Let's pretend the old bear kept his mouth shut for a change. Glad you are with us. And this is the thread where your velocar belongs.
SB

plycar

Aug 11, 2014
Thuringia, Germany
I can make more photos of the pages of "Folkhemmets Farkoster"
Supposing, that the pictures are most interesting, because the Swedish language is hard to read and translate from a photo.

Because most readers here don't know the book, you also don't know the contents.
Therefore I can make a short overview of the book.
Will take some time to separate the more important themes from the less.

There are some clever details in the vehicles, both with or without an engine.
Most remarkable to me was the "Hillspeed" designed by Joseph Swedberg, a velomobile build as one seater or sociable.
It was fitted with an unusual set of pedals, swinging back and forth on two long levers, instead of rotating.
That keeps the feet and knees down while pedalling and the nose can be therefore designed lower.
Also interesting is the excenter on the rear wheel, wich has the function of a sprocket, but surely is working a bit differently.

Photos from pages 55-59
Hoping, violation of copyrights will not become a problem.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The old fashioned children's pedal car system has both simplicity and strength to commend it, and I'm surprised it isn't used more in conjunction with a multi ratio axle.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
As for European names sounding dramatic to English speakers, you have to know the references, but: Alban Berg v Stockhausen - a pointless draw.

plycar

Aug 11, 2014
Thuringia, Germany
I've seen a solution slightly different.
Special trick: The attachment points of the cables/chains at both pedal levers are moveable.
Sliding the point down to the pedals: gives a long way you can move the cable/chain -> long gear for the flats and downhill
Sliding the attachment point upwards: Shortens the lever and also the way the cable/chain can be pulled, but with more power-> short gear for uphill climbs.
IMHO the most simple way to build a continuous variable transmission.

Sliding attachment points are adjusted for a long gear.

Position for short gear.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
SB: My post is an aswer for Moto-classic's question.
If it's "Off Topic" to discuss my velocar in this thread, I can easily create another one.

But, if even my velocar has nothing to do with a velocar-related thread, what has the name of my location to do with it and all your other comments about me and what you suppose I am?

Kai

PS: Thuringia is a state of Germany, like Minnesota is a state of the US.
------------------------
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]Hello Kai,[/FONT]
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]For sure that your writing and photos about your VELOCAR shall be welcomed and belong to this tread named "VELOCARS and ..."!!! The same as your contribution about historical velocars or whatever else about velocars...

Therefore, no need to open special tread just for your velocar. They are mostly forgotten in similar forums as this one, so it will be good to be popularised...

Even I know German history and present a lot, I didn't know for federal state of Thuringia... That name seems to me quite mystic and from long-forgotten sagas about old Germanic tribes, living in huge and dark woods and high mountains, near nice rivers and lakes! Probably that I was reading too much of old ferry-tales?
[/FONT]

[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]Knowing Silverbear well, I am sure that he didn't means anything bad with his comments![/FONT][FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif] [/FONT]

Last edited:

plycar

Aug 11, 2014
Thuringia, Germany
Hello Zoran.

As I've written before, it was my mistake.
Sometimes I don't get it.
In case of Silver Bears post, the meaning is the complete opposite of what I thought of.
Worst case.
Using a translator is not useful sometimes.
But I only have to blame myself.

Kai

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
I've seen a solution slightly different.
Special trick: The attachment points of the cables/chains at both pedal levers are moveable.
Sliding the point down to the pedals: gives a long way you can move the cable/chain -> long gear for the flats and downhill
Sliding the attachment point upwards: Shortens the lever and also the way the cable/chain can be pulled, but with more power-> short gear for uphill climbs.
IMHO the most simple way to build a continuous variable transmission.

Sliding attachment points are adjusted for a long gear.

Position for short gear.
----
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]Hello to all interested![/FONT]
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]
Wonderful and practical system! But, what is that gray tube on side (one at left and another at right from drivers legs), with holes on top side? Some system for regulation of length of cables? In this system - is it easier to pedal: higher power delivered to wheels?
--- ---
Similar system with cable power I saw some half a century ago, when I got Russian magazine for popularisation of science and technique... There were a dozen of sketches and diagrams, photos too - with many variant of Russian DIY velocars! They made and used them to drive during winter or rainy days - couldn't afford automobiles, motorcycles too... Sorry – do not have anything kept!

From that time I felt in love with velocars and wanted to build one. Maybe to reconstruct my present, almost finished, HPV-quadricycle (after testing it in present form)?
[/FONT]