Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I will commence on a proper build immediately Your Majesty. Will there be any required form or is it up to your subjects personal desires.

Steve.
Ha ha Steve. The most wonderful thing I like about cyclecars is the wide variety of different types that were built during their heyday. The Tour video demonstrated that perfectly and in fact it's one of my favourite videos. So build whatever delights your imagination and make sure you post lots of pictures coz we like pictures ;)

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I like that Kinneri plan because even though it is a single seater, it has a perimeter frame.
Can you tell what is in that detail between the the top view and profile view of the car. A detail of the steering
spindle?

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Wheelbender, unfortunately the only plan I have for that particular velocar is that one which I carefully increased in size from a very small diagram indeed using graphics software. Most velocars from this period used bobbin and cable steering, so the steering shaft would basically be a length of steel rod with a steering wheel on one end and a bobbin (think large wooden or steel cotton reel) which would have the steering cable wrapped around it with the ends of the cable being attached to the steering arms.

This is the 'bobbin' from a GN cyclecar, but the principle remains the same.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I thought of you I.W. as soon as I ran across this gem.

No info, just a cool picture. Never seen a front end quite like this one, but I'm sure you know what it is.
Your Velo Fu is legendary. I get a Hispano-Suiza kind of vibe...what do you think?

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
'Chocks away Biggles.' ;)

I think these light aircraft inspired cyclecars are great. I'm sure I've seen other pictures of this particular car elsewhere on the 'net, but I just can't remember where for the moment. I have a feeling it was built by a private individual rather than a car or aircraft related factory.

Velo Fu, - I like it :D

Attachments

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I thought of you I.W. as soon as I ran across this gem.

No info, just a cool picture. Never seen a front end quite like this one, but I'm sure you know what it is.
Your Velo Fu is legendary. I get a Hispano-Suiza kind of vibe...what do you think?
I have long held a fascination for the fantastic Hispanos. Fast enough to rival Duesenbergs, they were among the first motorcars to have power-assisted brakes. And a fuse box with little lights to tell you which fuse was out. Long have I lusted after them. So, I would be much surprised if this little thing were an Hispano-Suiza. Looks interesting tho'. Rather like an early 30s raceplane without its wings.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have long held a fascination for the fantastic Hispanos. Fast enough to rival Duesenbergs, they were among the first motorcars to have power-assisted brakes. And a fuse box with little lights to tell you which fuse was out. Long have I lusted after them. So, I would be much surprised if this little thing were an Hispano-Suiza. Looks interesting tho'. Rather like an early 30s raceplane without its wings.
I doubt Hispano would waste time on something this small and obscure. They were too busy building one of a kind works of art. I simply meant it displays a kind of sweeping boattail look I always associate with the custom coachwork from Hispano-Suiza. They also remind me of ChrisCraft boats with the planked curves that are more furniture than car. Something about that era of automotive art has always appealed to my senses. Cords are another of my favorites for the same reason. Those big stainless pipes coming from the hood are iconic.
Timeless beauty and engineering ahead of it's time.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
...Cords are another of my favorites for the same reason. Those big stainless pipes coming from the hood are iconic.
Timeless beauty and engineering ahead of it's time.
Oh yes, the supercharged Cord 812s. Those were awesome. Front-wheel-drive, uni-body construction, pop-up headlights, pre-selector gearbox, an organized dashboard, fast enough to trouble the cops, that is definitely another of my favorites. Man, what a old-car-freak I was when I was younger.

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
Hi All-
Intrepid I feel like I have been bush-whacked
these three wheelers move me and
I certainly have the bits and pieces but for front end suspension
maybe an old Quad or some such thing would get me going

maybe for june this year ---atleast the layout and welding up something ??????

there sure are lot of pieces of steel fence at the scrap yards that are literally a frame waiting to be called a frame!!!!!
when horizontal and not vertical

chop and bop??!!! here we come

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
I just googled the Morgans -WHAT!!!!!! $50+ thousand

you must be joking....

I see more than two wheeled vehicles in my future--some how some way????

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Cyclecar it isn't, but there's this Hispano Suiza for lovers of wooden bodywork
That photo appears in a couple of my books. That HS is one of my favorites; all covered in (if I remember right) tulipwood and copper sheet with copper rivets and copper plating on either steel or aluminum. These cars were built in a day when the big name automakers had time and money to make whatever beautiful thing popped into their heads. Sometimes it was the buyer persuading (with plenty of money) the coachbuilder to work magic. Either way, unless we become rich as a sultan, or build what we choose, we will never see cars like these built again.
Thanks for digging out that photo. I never get tired of looking at that.

PS: I can't believe it took me this long, but NOW I see the resemblance you were referring to before.

Last edited:

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
thanks for the warning Intrepid--

I will try to impose some semblance of self control --which ain't always easy

with my usual overdose of enthusiasm and lack of knowledge and ability

best

Last edited: