Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Yes the jolly old AV Monocar Curtis. Lots of fun :)

This is a plan from "The Boy Mechanic Vol. 2 1000 Things for Boys to Do" (I shall do my best to ignore the fact that they overlook Girl Mechanics)

They call this vehicle a 'Flymobile' because it uses an old machinery flywheel to store rotational energy as it were. As I own a couple of old machinery flywheels that are forever getting in my way as I move about my workshop I've considered building one of these more than just the once.

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
KOOOOL looks a lot like a Model T speedster. I had the Boy Machanic book gave it to my son for my one and only grand son. Didn't know there was a #2...........Curt

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
What a wonderful picture :D Actually I did have a pedalcar when I was small it looked almost exactly like this one, only mine was red. It was old when I got it and I would imagine that it would be now worth a small fortune.

Unfortunately my parents had this bad habit of passing on toys that they thought I'd grown out of to undeserving pointy headed relatives' children who had their eyes too close together. One day my old pedalcar was simply gone and that was that (sigh).

That photo is lovely, I absolutely would have loved to have had a pedalcar like that one. I mean my one was very nice, but that one is downright corker.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
"Undeserving pointy headed relatives' children who had their eyes too close together"
Classic description of a cousin.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have seen a scooter, quite a few times last summer, that looks nearly identical to the 2nd to last one pictured in placidscene's link.
My guess is it was built on a Suzuki Burgman 650 chassis.
It has some sort of semi-enclosed roof/ windshield (weird looking) vertical wrap around full fairing.
I bet that if you kept up a decent speed while riding in a rain storm you would stay dry, no rain suit necessary.