Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey Curt, is this what you're describing? I've been saving it for a special project, and I think a velocar would be a perfect platform. It's a Peerless model 1306A.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Hello,
If I understand well, hydraulic Peerless trans-axles have possibilities:

• differential function;
  • continual change of speed;
  • forward-neutral-reverse action;
  • braking (parking brake, too?);
I am not sure if they could be bought in Europe - couldn't find dealer...
Zoran

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep or one like it i have the hole Simplicity tractor, my son got without the deck. I said i know were that going. Go for it that will be KOOL

Zoran there must be some lawn tractors that have hydrostatic drive, they have been out for years here..................Curt

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
The actual chassis is made from steel Zoran. The body is made from wood.

There isn't much information around on these Ptitauto vehicles Steve. From what I've read they are supposed to be a little larger than the Mochet velocars, but by how much I don't know.

http://microcar.e-monsite.com/blog/ptitauto-mochet-1933.html
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Anne,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I am not sure if attached pictures were seen before, but some dimensions could be seen on them (two variants of the same advertisement). I could understand something, but with your help we could know more sizes?

Pity that there are not photos of fully finished reconstructed Ptitauto (Blue & Black).

I like to work with wood, but metal skeleton should be easier to made, with welding or bolting of metal "profiles":
L, C, O, Z, [FONT=Arial, sans-serif] █ or [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]...[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Zoran[/FONT][/FONT]

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thank you Anne,

Sorry to hear that your not having a good day. They most often tend to over shadow the good ones.

Thank you for the measurements of the Mochet. The interior measurements are the most critical to me since it is where a person has to fit. That will give an idea of how long the powered velo was that is being copied.

Steve.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Thank you Anne,
Sorry to hear that your not having a good day. They most often tend to over shadow the good ones.
Thank you for the measurements of the Mochet. The interior measurements are the most critical to me since it is where a person has to fit. That will give an idea of how long the powered velo was that is being copied.
Steve.
==========================
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hello there,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Anne, hope that you would be better soon - summer should help something! [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]We have cold, windy, rainy days – without snow! Not Swiss that I imagined...[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Steve,
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]That is my approach too, from childhood when I started to make sketches for dreamt “[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]auto[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]” (first soap-box car, then pedal-car, later engined car...)... Take measures of my body in proper seating position and making all measures for cockpit. Everything else around that. Beside that, now I have to think about measures of my lady and easy entrance and step-out from “[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]auto[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]”, including present HPV-quadricycle. The first version was abounded just because of terrible way to seat-in and step-out! This one is good for that, but for the next variant (velocar style), I must think a lot and make a lot of sketches, with cardboard full-size model, with everything on place: steering, pedalling, seating, “doors” and top, including body over that...[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Zoran[/FONT]

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]... and, now - something quite different: aerodynamic bodies for light vehicles![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Could be pedal-powered, motorised or hybrid (both of systems combined)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Zoran [/FONT]

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
" and, now - something quite different: aerodynamic bodies for light vehicles!
Could be pedal-powered, motorised or hybrid (both of systems combined)"
Zoran - The first two remind me of the Alleweder velomobiles.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Zoran,

We are indeed both members of the forum. I never post anything there but take away a treasure trove of information. The construction of the Amilcar was fascinating to me as a lifetime wood worker.

With Anne having to give up her dream of building a cycle car I am more determined to build one. The Amilcar construction is what I had envisioned both for a cycle car and a sidecar build I want to do that will be tied to a Sportsman Flyer bike.

The French cycle car thread is indeed a encyclopedia of cycle cars. All I have to do is live long enough to do it all. A lottery win would of course help.

Steve.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
=================
Steve,
It seems that we are memebrs of the same forums!
Amilcar tandem was unknown to me, as any other racers with tandem seating, except Bedelia and simialr cyclecars!
Construction of Amilcar is similar to classic airplane and to Neumann Neander crazy automobiles...
Zoran
Would anyone know if this is a wood frame covered in sheet metal? Or is it actually a metal frame? I didn't see any weld joints or brazing.
And I have to say, you've all put out interesting pictures and information of late. I'm going to be researching some of these for a bit. Thanks all.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Allen Wrench,

It is a wood frame with metal formed over it. My thought is, if I get at making one, is to cover the frame with 1/4" luan plywood and then glue a very thin metal sheet to the luan.
Something the thickness of stove pipe metal.

The frame is mortise and tenon construction with the stringers running the length of the body set into the upright ribs. This is very much like boat construction. The ribs are rounded over to relieve the stress on them.

Decide what body shape you want and cut the floor out to match then shape the bottom stringer to match. Since mine will most likely be a boat tailed design I'll make a top stringer to match leaving the tail ends to cross over to compensate for the shape of the body should the sides flare out wider than the bottom and I'll cut the doors in later. Shape the ribs to give the sides the shape you want.

Tops and bottoms of the ribs are mortised into the top and bottom stringers or you can notch them in like the stringers are. I have a mortising machine so it's easy for me. You can buy a mortising chisel for a drill press in different sizes.

I have a Grand Niece who will be three in May so I think a smaller edition of the one I want to build is in order first. She can tear up Grandma and Grandpa's back yard with it. If it were me and I hadn't done a lot of this type of work I would build a small scale model first to get a feel for it before I committed to spending a lot of money.

Steve.