Ontario Canada, MTO info

GoldenMotor.com

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
Marts1,Not sure what you mean are you saying good or bad?
Sorry MB. What I'm asking is whether or not these large get togethers are having a positive affect on the communitys nearby. I know that most people as they see me riding like what they see. What I don't know is what there reaction would be if they saw 10 or 20 or 100 at the same time. For me, my reaction would be not the same.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
This from the Canadian Government site.
If your moped was made before September 1st 1988. After that they had a plate saying it was a limited speed motorcycle from the factory. LSM/MVL plate.

This what it will look like.

Electric or gas powered.
Maximum speed of 70 km/h.
Automatic transmission.
Has a step through design.
Maximum engine displacement of 50cc or less.

If it doesn't meet these standards it is not a moped. I would think you have to prove it's a pre Sept 1 1988 moped by showing them the makers plate on the moped.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
If the Judges are throwing the case out of the court you folks are blessed, at least for a short while.
I'm an Ontario born and breed old f*rt and I'll lay money that this has been more than noticed in T.O.
If we can get enough people noticing that the MB's are not toys but a vehicle that is of use to people, not the latest fad we will come out of it much better all across Canada.

If we don't, there will be no more gray area/the Judge through it out, HA HA. There will be laws drawn up and we will be looking in from the outside, walking.

That is where the meet in June comes in. It is our chance to show people that we are out there in numbers and there are all ages and needs as well as the fact that they are friendly to the enviroment.

If the Government sees that the public accepts the bikes as a friendly way of getting around they will voice thier opinion in favour of the bikes. The first rule in politics is don't p*ss off the people. President Obama is finding this out. We will be regulated for sure but better that than banned.

If you can make the ralley in June,do so. Your voice needs to be heard.

Steve.
Fasteddie,
As a Minnesotan planning on attending the rally this June, I'm wondering if I should bring my bike of choice or a ratty one I would miss less if it is confiscated by the police (constables or whatever you call them there). Are our bikes in jeopardy in Ontario this summer? Would I have trouble getting through customs? My bike is no moped, but a 1939 Elgin step through. Kinda looks like an antique moped. I'd hate to lose it. What do you think?
SB

bgoates

Mar 3, 2008
Fasteddie...

I wouldn't risk it...the custom officers can be real xssholes depending on how their morning coffee was ! If you say you plan on only using it on private property you might be ok.

lazieboy

Sep 5, 2009
Mid-west
Ya that's what i was told at the DMV place in MN. And 49cc and less are cheaper and a moped lic. 49cc and up is motorcycle lic. So i took all the badges off of motor and now it's a 49cc grubee all blacked out.... But the cops haven't said any thing yet =)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Ya that's what i was told at the DMV place in MN. And 49cc and less are cheaper and a moped lic. 49cc and up is motorcycle lic. So i took all the badges off of motor and now it's a 49cc grubee all blacked out.... But the cops haven't said any thing yet =)
Lazieboy,
What part of Minnesota? Are you planning to attend the Ontario rally? Ever get up to the Ely area? S did you have to get a moped license? I haven't done anything but ride mine. Since I'm an old guy and the only one with a motorized bike around nobody has bothered me... yet... and I'd like to keep it that way. So, I want to be either legal or invisible, but for sure want to ride. Kinda cold lately for riding, eh?
SB

lazieboy

Sep 5, 2009
Mid-west
Breckenridge,MN on the ND Border. I've rode back and forth several times ok so far. No lic. ,ins yet in summer. Sorry no rally. Ya I'am the only one around here that has a motorized bicycle. Lot of heads turn gotten compliments, kids really like. good to be different Hey check out my bike progress @http://s1019.photobucket.com/albums/af319/lazieboy1/

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Breckenridge,MN on the ND Border. I've rode back and forth several times ok so far. No lic. ,ins yet in summer. Sorry no rally. Ya I'am the only one around here that has a motorized bicycle. Lot of heads turn gotten compliments, kids really like. good to be different Hey check out my bike progress @http://s1019.photobucket.com/albums/af319/lazieboy1/
Nice old Higgins. I remember seeing that now and thought at the time of it as "the yellow jacket"... has got some sting, that one. Yeah, being the only rider around my neck of the woods makes me especially look forward to the rally in Ontario... meeting some guys I've become familiar with online, talking bikes, riding around and sharing ideas and experiences. It's gonna be fun! If you ever get over to the Ely/Duluth area for fishing, etc. bring your bike and we can have a mini rally.
SB

MadC

May 4, 2010
Toronto
Ontario is behind the other provinces with respect to alternative means of transportation and the only way to solve this is to lobby the government and pester your local MPP with pertinent info about the means of transportation you wish to use. This is what the E Bike community did to get E Bikes on the road legally a few years back.

Some good info to pass on to your local MPP up there in Thunder Bay might be that if a 12 year old can ride a bicycle with a 50cc or less gas motor attached in Alberta why the heck can't adults in Ontario do the same!

Ontario sometimes is like an over protective babysitter that makes you sit on the coach till your parents get home just so nothing bad will happen to you rotfl
could these not be considered mopeds? if the proper lights are added and a helmet warn, a G1 class license is all you would need right?

Just a thought.

DICYRUL3S

Sep 21, 2010
Guelph
Thats right motorboys, i got my kit from motorboys might i add not only do i ride my bike by guelph police station everyday on the way to work. But i also see a couple cruisers and a supervisor or two and havent been stopped. Now i also have the bike as legal as can be eg, front light, rear light, bell and brain bucket. Then again the bike is loud and flashy with the chrome expantion can and my homemade Ram Air but it is legal there is no laws for what we've done and no classifacation or insurance for a bicycle, then theres the motor vehicle fight, well a car is a class wich we know has a motor and is a motor vehicle a bicycle does not have a motor vehicle class and is not and wont be a motor vehicle it is a bike, a motor assisted bike, no ownership no insurance no licence so thiz means police/MTO can give you "no trouble" as long as you go out of you way to make the bike as legal in a bicycle way as possible, also a motor assisted bicycle with the motor running may not exceed 50kph
And if you have a motor running on your bike your helmet must be DOT aproved