Ontario Canada, MTO info

GoldenMotor.com

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Mopedamauter79 what do you get from or how do you interpret the MTO"s reply?

Myself I see typical bureaucratic fits this or fits that definition stuff...

Personally if it ever came down to it I would argue all day that my modified bicycle does not fit the MTO's Motor Assisted Bicycle Definition, AKA moped, for which registration, insurance and an M licence is required. I mean my modified bicycle does not look like any factory made motor assisted bicycle, it does not operate like any factory made motor assisted bicycle and my modified bicycle was originally manufactured then sold as a regular bicycle as per the MTO's definition of one. One can browse a motor assisted bicycle manufacture's website, Tomos for instance, to clearly see that our modified bicycles do not very much resemble what the MTO is defining as a motor assisted bicycle. Even the old 1970's Puch or Velo Solex mopeds have very little in common with our modified bicycles other than pedals. Also mopeds are designed with the idea that the motor is it's primary means of propulsion and the pedals are the backup propulsion system or are there to assist the motor in situations where it can't manage the load. Any of the mopeds guru's and manufacturers will tell us this. Our modified bicycles on the other hand are fully capable of functioning as they did in their unmodified state in that they can be pedaled around town all day as normal. Anyway looking at the attached pictures I ask do the standard bicycles that have been modified with the addition of an engine kit resemble the various factory built Mopeds shown?

So at the end of the day you know what I think may eventually happen with regards to the MTO and our modified bicycles? I think we will be simply outlawed as the MTO has long not been a friend to custom builders of anything...kit cars, DIY electric car conversions, home built custom motorcycles and trikes, etc. Heck even under their new laws regarding power assisted bicycles they completely screwed the DIY E-Bike people! Sadly about the only thing home built the MTO does ok on a regular basis is trailers :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
I believe they want us to insure the things..However you can't. How do u explain to the insurance company what your trying to insure. It's probaly mto's way of making the bike's non road legal. I even show mto a picture of the the bike's so they clearly know what I was talking about. However there isnt really a law for or agaisnt it and MTO can't say it fall's into the grey area so there like well looks like you have to insure it.

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
I contacted authorities not long ago trying to find out what I needed to ride my mb without being charged and couldn't get any answers. I tryed seeing if I could insure this mb for riding on city streets with no luck...glad about that. Ended up asking a cop, who after all would be the guy who would actually cause me a problem. I was told as long as there was peddles on the bike and that they were needed to operate the bike in any manner, of which they do apply, that this mb would be classed as a regular peddle bike, in which case accordind to Ontario law no helmet is required by those 16 or over, no insurance, no licence, no nothing. This took place about 2 months ago. I thought about asking again but decided not to waste my time. btw - Rock and Wanderer.. I for one appreciate your input.

Last edited:

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
so it appears, its all up to the cops discretion weather or not he wants to write tickets.

good to know, i think we should ought to know how to act....

im going to ride to work in 4 hours, with my full face dirtbike helment on (because it has a gas engine, powersports = snell approval am i right?)

i will not ride, like a dickhead (giving plenty of room for cars to pass by me)

and if i get pulled over, ill hear the guy out. because the MTO is on strike and doesnt give a ****.

ill then tell him its my only transportation to and from work, along a secluded back road. 20 minutes at a time every twelve hours, he will probley let me go.

end of story, i hate this ****ing province. back home in NS they dont give two cents what your driving as long as you havn't hit anyone

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
so it appears, its all up to the cops discretion weather or not he wants to write tickets.
That's a good way of looking at it Humsuckler and this is how it is when something is neither "legal" or "illegal". It's a frustrating position for both the public and police officers I'm sure because everyone likes the lines drawn in the sand to be well defined ;)

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
just an example, i about shat a brick not 10 minutes ago. my landlady asked me to pick up a couple packs of smokes. (not something i wouldnt normally do, but i wanted to get to sleep so i took out the mb)

its raining, who do i glance up to see coming towards me. well, i dont know exactly who, but i know it was the OPP.... anyway. no more errand running, im sure they just flagged me as a no helmenter... better be more careful..... stupid sleep deprivation.

no ticket, no incedent.

no more errands!

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
our OPP doesnt care as long as we dont care. ride your bike responsibly because as far as the 4 officers i have spoken with at chance encounters have pointed out, THEY are pretty sure there is an exemption,

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
i had a spooky encounter the other day. i rolled up to a crosswalk, to the spot where you gotta press the button to make the light change, i was on the sidewalk, engine off. this is the pedaling part of my route, i turned on my engine 30seconds before for a bit to warm it up for the motoring part. anyway, i roll up to the crosswalk, real casual like, and there's like 5 cops standing around right next to it, there was a bunch of construction going on on that road and i guess they were there to direct traffic or something. the light was red for me so while i rolled up i tried to angle the bike so they wouldnt see the engine. i reach for the button and it turns it out the construction guys moved it to the other pole, one of the officers told me this. i had to go the other pole to press the button, thus exposing the engine. they all noticed the motor and started asking me questions: how many cc, how fast, crank it up, etc.. luckily the light changed quickly and i boogied outta there.

trailblazerpete

Dec 12, 2009
Kitchener Ontario
Hi,new member with some interesting info, I went to the MTO office in Guelph Ont to get a plate for my Motorised Bicycle,I figured if I had a Motorcycle Liscence and Motorcycle Insurance, it should be no problem,any way,I was told by the MTO office manager that they do not plate Motorised Bicycles, Rules..you have to be over 16,wear a helmet,thats it, no plate,no insurance and no bike drivers liscence needed,in other words,it's perfectly legal to ride a motorised Bicycle here in Ontario...Talk to you're nearest MTO, they will tell you the same thing.....Pete

trailblazerpete

Dec 12, 2009
Kitchener Ontario
Hi,I told them what I had, a Bicycle with an engine mounted on it, the manager gave me her budiness card, with the facts stated on it...no plate,no insurance,no liscence,just be 16 or older and wear a helmet...Check with you're MTO..Pete

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
Well, maybe thats because you let them. I have been riding for several months here with no helmet, all on city streets, and have been told from the police themselves no helmet is required for 16 and up. Just because you are charged with a crime and you even pay for it does not neccessarily mean your guilty. True you can be harrassed but do not give in a plead guilty, not hear in Ontario as yet.