Ontario Canada, MTO info

GoldenMotor.com

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Sorry I missed this...

Have a read of the Motor Vehicle Act of British Columbia Chris and see if you see anything in there that makes your creation illegal to own, operate or whatever else. I read your province's act rather quickly and I don't see what all the fuss is about but if in doubt about anything you read do seek out a local expert. You know if you approach a university law prof or law student often they'll give you a few minutes of their time at no charge.

Cyclist1001

Jun 17, 2012
Ontario
The way I look at this... Its really sad that everyone here in Ontario knows that this is not dangerous by any means if operated by an adult but the Govt. does not seem to realize this and is babying everyone.

It would be really nice if we all gathered up together and protested against it! This is such a sensible and simple alternative when it comes to traveling. Especially for poorer people like myself. Very sad that the govt. wants more and more money and hassle from the poorer community!

I can't buy a Mercedes or BMW. Frudge! I can't even afford the insurance on a beat up Ford! ....just let me ride my stupid bike at least while the rich folks enjoy their luxury cars and premium gas!

.bf.

JayTF

Jun 23, 2012
Guelph, ontario
I have seen several people around my area (Guelph, ON) recently riding all over town without license plates (and therefore i assume no insurance either) with bicycles with engine kits. I wonder if the police in my city just happen to not care, or maybe not know about the motorized bicycle requirements.
That prompted me to pull my old motorized bike I built in 2004 when these kits started coming to North America out of my basement.
Back then, I actually went through the painful steps of getting it registered with the MTO, and the after that, the hardest part - getting liability insurance. To get insurance I had to call every insurance broker in the phone book and yet noone wanted to bother giving me a quote. I actually had to complain to an insurance broker board member and plead for him to force one of the brokers to provide a liability insurance quote for me, which they are obligated to do one way or another because of the insurance requirement. Even though I have an absolutely clean driving record and the bike is legally registered as a homemade moped, my car insurance company (The Personal) doesn't want to provide a quote, but one broker did provide a quote. Of course the quote was for facility insurance (you know the kind they are forced to offer you when you are uninsurable from regular insurance, usually for drunk driving or a terrible driving record), through Nordic Insurance company. It was around $220 a year for liability. I had insurance, paid the registration sticker costs for about 3 or 4 years and then decided to stop getting insurance for it, since the insurance climbed to almost $300, and I only used the bike a couple times a year. Since then, my bike has just sat in my basement because the insurance costs were too high, and the penalties for not having insurance on it are ridiculously high as well.
I guess I'll stop and talk to some of the others in my neighborhood driving around and ask them about getting stopped or harassed by police and see what they have to say, but it is unfortunate that the steep driving without insurance penalties still hangs over your head even if the local police tolerate bicycles with engines. If you happen to get in an accident, they can easily put the screws to you
Has anyone reading this managed to get non-facility insurance for their motorized bike in Ontario?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
JayTF said:
Has anyone reading this managed to get non-facility insurance for their motorized bike in Ontario?
How on earth did you get the MTO to even register your bike? All they tell me is that "its unregisterable", therefore insurance brokers won't even breath the same air as me.

I was also told by an MTO head manager that called the main office in TO, that since its under 50cc I don't need to register it. I still carry that card, and have had to give the number when I got stopped once.

$300/yr is nuts with a clean driving record and a 50cc machine. :eek:

Guelph's Municipality are sticklers for bylaw enforcement, just look at your Recycling program. Oh, and needing clear Garbage bags so they won't take trash if they see paper or a plastic bottle in there...

If you see others riding around, just ride around. But take it easy, wear a helmet, have lights, use hand signals, obey traffic laws, and at least "ghost pedal" if you see a Leo.

I was in K-W before coming down here, and never had any problems. But I just putted around(still better than pedaling), and if I wanted to Wot for a bit I'd make dang sure it wasn't on a main road.

That's a good idea about a protest Cyclist, but with our luck they'd put the nails in the coffin and shut us all down for good. We're in a "grey" area for now, lets stay here for a while before being outright banned.

Maybe an online petition or a poll? People could put up flyer's locally with tear-off's (to remember the www).

On another note, I keep reading about e-bikers being pulled over for impaired, but not motorized bicycle riders. I wonder what the stats are on that, eh?

simon123

Feb 28, 2013
toronto on
i think the law on gas powred motor bikes is dumb, you can't get anythink from the dnv for them, and i'm just finding this out, before i got my motor i looked all over the web for something on the and found nothing, now sites like this is popping up all over the place, i've been riding my motorized bike for just under a year with no problems, i've never been stopped once, i all so have an e-bike for just over a year and been stopped 8 time riding down the road and never did a bad thing to get stopped, in my book if it has pedals it's a bike bottom line and if i'm fined i'll go to court and fight it since you can't get inserence on it, it will be easy to fight it, this is not my falt, and why are they selling the motors if there not legle, sorry my spelling sucks, i've had my bike on the transcanada highway and never been stopped and i pass right by the opp station 6 to 8 time a week and right in front of the rcmp every day, they even pass me all the time and i sound like a tank, but i never try to go faster then 20 mph, so why are they letting companies sell the gas motors if there not aloud on the roads, this in it's self is stupid:confused:

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
I got stopped by the police in Peterborough, the beginning of July and was given over $5000 in fines. No lic, no ins, no helmet, no plate & unsafe. Had not been bothered in Wasaga Beach or Orillia
I live just S. in Peterborough in Bailieboro and was hoping to use mine to do small shopping trips into Peterborough. After reading your comment, I may have to go by the law if I can't get insurance.

Last edited:

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Not only did I get 15 2oz vials for my gold dust, but right next door to the vial store, was where i got me 2 bottles of OPTI 2 non synth 2cycle oil for my motor.
Y'no wht i say,....when i gota go all the way across the map, i better get lots cause i dont like makin that trip toooo often.!!!!!!!! smilely smiley smiley smiley smiley!!! HAAAAA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha aha ha ha ha ha .

Last edited:

rock out

Jul 5, 2013
canada
I ride in Brampton Ontario I never had any trouble so far and I pass by like 5 cops every time I ride( peel region has one of the biggest police forces in Ontario ). I have a full face motorcycle helmet and headlight I've had a couple times a cruiser fly passed me scared the crap out of thought I was gonna get pulled over

HarleyXLH666

Feb 26, 2013
Niagara Falls
Got my warning in Niagara Falls today from an unmarked car. No tickets or anything but my name is now in the computer and next time it will be taken. These laws are so stupid.

FractaL64

May 8, 2013
Canada
I ride in Brampton Ontario I never had any trouble so far and I pass by like 5 cops every time I ride( peel region has one of the biggest police forces in Ontario ). I have a full face motorcycle helmet and headlight I've had a couple times a cruiser fly passed me scared the crap out of thought I was gonna get pulled over
Anyone here ride downtown? What would a cop do if they saw you riding in the bike lanes?

Last edited:

FractaL64

May 8, 2013
Canada
I asked about this and was told the smaller engine is legal. There's a limit of about 40cc size. The 80 cc is the preferred size for power and ability to do 30mph. But it needs to be marked as 33cc. Then you should be fine.
EDIT: Would they pull me over and take my bike if I had the 40cc sticker on it, lights, and mirrors but no helmet?

Thanks, I'll probably just throw a 40cc sticker on the side of my 80cc lol.
I was thinking, I could probably get away with taking my bike on the TTC subway if I wrap up the carb tank and engine with a garbage bag...

any thoughts? Its either that or I ride the thing downtown.

Last edited:

bighat

May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I was pulled over last fall by a sargeant. First thing he said was, "nice bike" then, "you can't ride it anymore." I said o.k and he drove away. MBs disappeared over the next 2 weeks. Now I;m seeing them again along with atv's, mini bikes... One fellow rider I spoke with put it nicely. He said, "**** the cops!" Seems that sentiment is spreading as people do whatever they must to get around.

rock out

Jul 5, 2013
canada
Yeah mb situation in Ontario is very bipolar seems the change city to city I've driven past over 30 cops in Brampton in a couple month none did anything but then you hear people in London getting the bookS thrown at them
Where were you riding?

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
Bighat, I've had plenty of O.P.P. pass by me on Hwy 28 between Port Hope and Peterborough and none of them stopped me.....yet. But, I always ride on the shoulder and don't interfere with the traffic unless necessary.

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
I've determined this after speaking to a paralegal, a police officer and Service Ontario.

To operate one of these machines, you need to have a class M license, you are required to purchase a moped permit, they will give you a license plate. The permit works out to be only $1 per month. The pedals must be operational.