My first build: 1912 Indian

GoldenMotor.com

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
I have started the project in earnest now that I have shop space. Here are some pictures of the frame as it comes together. Dan Orabona built the front forks for me and did a great job.
[/IMG]

RickS

Jan 30, 2011
Speonk, NY
Tell us you are going to add dropouts to that front end to make it functional? That is a really nice piece of work!

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Nice looking fork. It will look fantastic on the bike. Don't bother with the dropouts. The spring thickness you have is so stiff it will not move anyway. Those are automotive springs made for 10x + the weight. I'm running just one leaf like that and I put my micrometer on it to measure movement. When I go over a bump it moves about 2/8" of an inch. Not very effective, but looks great.

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
Yes the forks were designed to go both ways so if I race it I can pull the pivots off, but this will be a daily driver like Cobrafreak's. I am fabbing pivots with brass bushings for heavy use. I have a lifan 200cc motor with a 5 speed gearbox to go in it. It weighs about 60 lbs and is rated at 16.5hp. The engine spocket will go to a jackshaft behind the seat post with a second sprocket to the wheel. This is similar to the setup on the original.
[/IMG]

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
That is a cool engine to use for a project like this. You already have the kickstart and transmission right off the bat. You can't beat that. It will be an instant motorcycle though, not a bad thing. I would attempt to find a motorcycle wreck at a dismantler or wrecking yard and find a motorcycle frame with a registration so you can transfer the VIN plate to your new bike. By the book the law says you need one foot length of original frame with the VIN stamp on it transferred to the new frame to call it a legal "upgrade", but I don't think anyone will mess with you if you use less than 12". By doing all of this it would prevent you from needing to go through a new build process that is quite extensive. It would allow you to register the bike without needing to get CARB certification for the Lifan engine, which would probably be impossible in CA too. Don't forget about a mirror, horn, and lights. My Moped registration exempted me from a working brake lamp or turn signals. I don't know if you would need to have these or just be allowed to use hand signals for that. Being on a "moped" as I am, I still need to use hand turn signals and hand brake signals. People with authentic antique motorcycles and cars don't have the brake lamps or turn indicators as well and need to use hand signals, so maybe having a replica would "exempt" you on that. But anyway, very nice build and I'll be watching your progress.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
You may have already seen this bike, but there is a very nice Indian replica that uses a Lifan engine..... I'm on my iPhone ATM so can't link for you..... But go to YouTube and enter "Another board track slide show" and you will see his extensive build. Good luck

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
Thanks for the links guys! @ Cobrafreak; thanks for the info. I live in Florida and they are pretty easy going about new bike builds but if I hit a snag with DOT that gives me an option. I may ding you to pick your brain a bit on this if it comes to it. @ Mr. B: I have seen the first one but not the second. Are there more photos of that build?

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Yep, found links here...
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=4765
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=8886

-Kirk

Thanks for the links guys! @ Cobrafreak; thanks for the info. I live in Florida and they are pretty easy going about new bike builds but if I hit a snag with DOT that gives me an option. I may ding you to pick your brain a bit on this if it comes to it. @ Mr. B: I have seen the first one but not the second. Are there more photos of that build?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
This is a build to follow, for sure. What you're making should be a powerful light motorcycle begging for the best brakes you can come up with. It's going to be an awesome bike.
SB