Motorized Bicycle OVERSIZED TUBING solved

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The modified mounts tend to work better than stock.
The original mounts are made for V framed bikes, and older, small tubing frames.
The irony is that the new bikes coming out of China have large, weird shaped frame tubes....

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you read some of that thread, there are a lot of ways to go about a front mount...build or buy, the choice is yours.

Train

Dec 2, 2008
Arcadia, CA
Beetle Juice...

To answer your question, everything has been great. It's held up nicely. The only thing I was worried about was vibration, but it's minimal IMO. I haven't ridden enough bikes to see whether mine is more or less the same as other bikes' vibration.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
that is almost identical to the universal mounting bracket that comes in most kits...i thought is was suck a strong design that i copied it is a thinner version for the other post to replace the chisy stock bracket

cptsparkle

Sep 9, 2009
California
Folks, has the oversized tubing issued been solved? I've read through this thread and read all the great ideas. I personally lean towards purchasing a manufactured mount. I noticed the mount by Ridley but the money they want is prohibitive. I'm hoping the Manic Mechanic will stay in business long enough to build two for me but if not, I have to find some somewere.

I have two brand new Landmarks in my living room right now. Both of the bikes are laughing at me as I tried to figure out the downtube oversize issue. It was a heck of a rise in learning just installing the rag joint for the rear sprockets! Then the engine mounts hit me with another challenge. I will persevere however.

So my question is...which vendor actually is selling mounts for the common man now?

Thanks for any input.

Wayne

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Nogoodnic, I have not seen a mount like that since 1999! (yours is better tho, because Steve used to drill 2 holes as I remember). Thanks for the memories, Amigo! I hope things are going well for you, I haven't talked to you in a long time, is PA close to you? If so you could maybe meetup with Chris, Jim, and Jay, and see their EZM's.

Mike

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Back on page 5 of this thread I posted a photo of a clamp on front mount for a Schwinn Jaguar. Here's one of the same design but a welded mount instead of clamped. Sorry no photos of it painted. The bushing is polyurethane automotive suspension part. Very very firm, not rubber. The aluminum cap was just something I did on a lathe.
Tom

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The bushing is polyurethane automotive suspension part. Very very firm, not rubber...
Which is one of the things that caught my interest... not that I really need it - but you wouldn't happen to know the part number or specific application for that bushing wouldja Tom? It's no big deal as ofc I can just bring in measurements, but the guys at the part stores around here tend to crazyeye if you don't have exact year/make/model when yer tryin' to buy stuff...

It only gets worse if I actually dare tell 'em what I need the widget for laff