Motorized Bicycle OVERSIZED TUBING solved

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
great idea wade! almost all bikes have gone to the big tubes and i never liked the idea of drilling a hole(^)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I had heard of using a u bolt but never seen what it looks like. that is definitely the way to go. Good work and thanks for sharing. Looks kinda like a muffler clamp.

Reactions: scootertrash

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
Here is how I did mine, I took a 7" peice of 1" flat stock and welded a short section of black 1" pipe cut in half to one end. Bent the flat stock to get the half round where it needed to be for propper mounting and used two muffler clamps to hold it to the frame...Kelly

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I Guy we ride with put the bottom tube in a vise and made it oval. We plan on a ride this weekend before the bowl.
Hey Gary, Register already and post pics!

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I used U-Bolts on my install and they work well. I also used automotive fuel line, which comes in various diamiters, to kind of shroud the bolt

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
they make a heater hose in up to at least 1" diameter I think. I used it to wrap my undersized tube. Hard to believe there is actually a tube too small for this toy.

Tj Bunch

Jun 18, 2008
Yea But that Clamp is $2.00 and the plate is $3.00 so you have $10.00 left over for Beer......LOL

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Unless you have a boatload of 1/8" aluminum plate laying around then the whole thing cost you some time and a clamp @ $2.59.

And Mr. Joe said I was nuts for buying that at an auction. I've even made transmission parts for a motorcycle with some of it. Paid a dollar for a milk crate full.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Be careful using straight U bolts on an aluminum frame... they will eventually tear through the frame with the vibration.

I have a design here that will distribute the loading over a larger surface area, preventing metal fatigue in these newer (thinner and lightweight) aluminum frames:

I'll post some photos of the finished product in a few minutes. Just finished them about 30 minutes ago.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That's a good deal on a boatload of aluminum.

Where would I find a small piece of aluminum plate like that?
You can call the aluminum supply houses in your area and ask for cut off or drops, tell them you just want a couple pieces of scrap.

I may get ambitious and weigh up a piece and see what it cost to ship and sell pieces in the swap shop (cheap).