Lurker's V-twin build

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Whats happening with this bike Lurker? Have you had enough time to make a decision on how this bike rides?

I saw a secondhand 18HP Vanguard motor at a very reasonable price and it got me thinking......

I guess im wondering would you recommend these engines. I would think that nothing comes close to the "WOW" factor of a V-Twin, or the sound that only a V-Twin can produce.

But these things are heavy so im just wondering if all that weight still makes for a good ride? I notice you werent using this motor for your "new projects". Is the engine weight a factor in that?

Any advice could be helpful to anyone thinking of one of these builds. Your GX200 build certainly influenced many to follow suit. Wonder if many will use these V-Twins?

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
No news as of lately, the current goal is to get it street legal I have the title I just need to go to the BMV and get my plates and motorcycle license. After that I'm going to try and get some really nice photos of it and submit it to some magazines.

Do I recommend this engine... heck yes I do. Nothing beats the sound and feel of the v-twin. The weight of the engine also makes the bike very stable at speed. If I were you I would snatch that engine up quick.

Here is a list of issues I have with the bike now that I have put a few miles on her.
1. a completely rigid frame is really painful. I may add some springs to the seat in the future.

2. It is really heavy compared to a motorbike. It probably weighs close to 200lbs which makes it very hard to maneuver out of my living room.

3. The brakes work but not as well as I had hoped. I think better pads will fix this.

4. I fear the torque of the engine will destroy the rear hub. However there is no signs of this yet.

5. ground clearance can be a issue some of the time. but I am use to driving lowered cars so I am overly aware of potential hazards while driving.

6. The heat! the heat from the engine and pipes it insane in the summer. If you build one of these be sure to keep the oil cooler, you defiantly need it.

I think that is all, nothing major and nothing I wasn't already aware of while I was building it. This engine isn't for everyone but it's not meant to be which is why I am not using it on my newest projects. I would defiantly build another bike using this engine if that opportunity arose.

Harry, keep us posted if you start a build with that 18hp twin.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for the advice Lurker. I may have to go buy this engine on your advice. These motors are around $2000 new here in OZ but i saw a running secondhand motor for $300 which seems VERY reasonable to me..... If i do buy it I would just need to find a new hiding spot to hide it from the missus for a while LOL

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I meant to ask you if your bike has an internal throttle or is the brake lever actually a throttle?..... Also what handlebars do you run? And are the same type bars you used on your GX200 bike?

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
$300 sounds like a good deal to me. I used a internal throttle off of a Honda ct70. if you use this throttle you will need the original handle bars because you have to copy the mounting holes and whatnot on to your bars. I used some 7/8 Wald bars for a bicycle because they had a similar look to the Excelsiors.

I still have the fork but I like the look of the one I build much better. I might add a leaf spring in the future but no plans for that just yet.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
What kinds of things were these V twin engines designed for? I ask because I have a lawn tractor with an 18HP Kohler twin engine on it; I'm wondering if the Briggs was initially designed for something like this or not? I realized that the tractor has a vertical shaft.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
A V is probably the most sensible way to build a compact air cooled twin cylinder engine once you reach the upper cc limit of singles. An opposed twin is always going to be long or wide, and a parallel twin might be more vibratory than a V without adding the expense of balancers.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
This engine is generally used for industrial equipment and small tractors. You should see the look on some peoples face when I tell them it is a tractor engine.

Most stationary engines are available in horizontal and vertical shaft configurations, but they can be converted from what I have read.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I wonder how hard it is to convert a vertical shaft V-twin engine, as ive noticed they are around 1/4 of the price secondhand then a horizontal shaft v-twin and a lot more common?

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
The connecting rods will be a definite swap because the oil splashers will be in the wrong spot. If the engine case can be hung vertical it should be ok.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Very nice. I'm glad you got published, something I have not been able to do yet. I was reading the reader comments and they are mostly positive, but ouch, that one guy mentions that it looks like it would ride like sh**. Wow, lol, what do you REALLY want to say guy? I bet your bike rides exactly as the original early to mid 20's bikes you were emulating. I wouldn't take comments from people with more money than brains too seriously. Your bike rocks and you know it.