Lurker's V-twin build

GoldenMotor.com

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks guys, I will eventually try to get it in to some print magazines and web magazines. I would love to have it on bikeexif.com or pipeburn.com.

Anyway sorry I have been holding out. These are just some quick photos I had leftover from the last shoot. Once I get moved and settled I will get one of my photography friends to take some good photos.

Toofat2fly

Jan 11, 2012
PA
Love the color and details on this bike. It is FULL OF awesome details....
And you got me on the motor size, hah, haa!!! at least you dont have to push your bike up the hill, like I do laff

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I thought this was interesting. This is a photo from 1909 of the alley and stoop (indicated by the red arrow) where I build the v-twin board track racer. All of my welding and grinding was done right there. If you look across the street you will see a sign for a machine shop and gas engine repair. I wish it were still there.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Now do your magic and put that bike where it belongs,in 1909 slightly angle'd in front of that toop! or even the Mechanic's shop

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Hey Lurker, Again that bike is a thing of beauty, hats off!! I just have a couple questions.
Have you tried or looked into getting a vin ? , Im leaning towards a full blown scratch built motorcycle as well and would like to get some first hand feed back on the perception from the powers that be.
Hubs- without going back I think you used worksman drums and wheels, do you think moped drums/wheels would have been better or even motorcycle?
Would a cast neck/tube been worth the time vs cash savings?
Thanks in advance
Troy

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Chainmaker, I do have a vin and just got a title for it this week. If you start with a bike that is already titled you are good to go. All you have to do is go to a motorcycle salvage yard and buy a frame, take it home and cut the head tube off and use that somewhere on your bike. The salvage yard has to keep all the titles just make sure to get it when you buy the frame.

My front hub is a Honda cb100 and my rear is a Puch. If you plan on using a engine bigger than 200cc I recommend using a motorcycle rear hub. Once my Puch self-destructs I will switch it out to a Honda ct90.

I would not worry about a cast head tube. I believe they did that back in the day because they didn't have the capability to weld. As long as you have some good welds and some sort of guest you should be ok. take a look at my head tube area and you will see what I mean. Good luck on your build.

Stromberg, sorry for the delay in answering your question I just now saw it. I was able to get it up to about 60mph this past weekend. The rake and trail I used make it some what hard to handle at between 0-10mph. 10-30 is ok, not bad but not the best, and anything above 30 is a dream. It feels like you are flying.

stromberg97

Aug 2, 2012
United States
60 mph is pretty good. Does the v-twin have a governor like the single cylinders? If so maybe it can be removed/modified for a little extra power. Are you going to lights on it? Where I live the state requires turn signals after '83 so if I get a title before that, I only need to run a head and tail light.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
This engine needs no modification, 630cc on a bike like this is downright scary. 60 was just testing out the waters, I was just a little bit more than half throttle and it kept accelerating. I never want to find out what this thing is actually capable of on the street or without leathers.

I only need a headlight and tail light for this and I have both, I just really hate the look of the headlight so until I get this thing road worthy I will wait to install it.

I cut part of the head tube up and used it under the gas tank, but if you could use it as the head tube that would be better. Especially if your state has inspections.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Sweeeeeet!!!!! If I was to request a ride of any persons bike on this forum it would undoubtedly be yours Lurker. It's a beast. Phenomenal work!!!!

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
Looks and sounds great but please tell me you're getting a real helmet? I can't quite tell from the video but it looks like you're wearing an old leather style brain bag? I think with the speeds this is capable of a dot approved helmet would be a good idea.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Here is the helmet you want for looks and protection. It's made by HCI and it is awesome. I have one myself. DOT approved.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/130-0260

Here is another link with different paint jobs on them:

http://www.helmetsrus.com/hcredothe.html

They incorrectly refer to it as a half-helmet but it's really a Pudding Bowl Helmet.

Runs around $50-60 dollars.

I use a leather "non-helmet" brain bag for vintage dress events and I have a WW1 Doughboy helmet for when I have the uniform on. I would hate to hit the ground with either of them on though. It's an odds thing. If I wear the real helmet 90% of the time I will more than likely have it on if I ever crash. On days I wear the costumes my attention and caution goes up 10x.

Last edited:

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks for the link cf, that is exactly the type of helmet I was looking for. I plan on getting that as soon as my title and plates come through.

As far as the bike goes... I guess i'm happy with it. As a artist I don't think I am ever 100% satisfied with what I make. I see things I wish I could change but don't have the skill or the equiptment to.