Lurker's V-twin build

GoldenMotor.com

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Lurker..Congratulations on getting you bike published ....well deserved.....dont be offended by the naysayers..they a living a dismal life and have got nothing better to do ......DD

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks guys. I'm surprised they were interested in my bike at all. They always seem to feature very professional builds not some hack jobs built in a apartment.

I think the comments are kinda funny. I have always been the type of person to do things that I like, and not worry about what other say.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Lurker, your bike is uber pro. The fact of how and where you made this art, only makes it that much cooler.

I was surprised at some of the comments. I wanted to reply that perhaps folks didn't quite understand what they were viewing. An awesom era replica with the added features of safety and efficiency.

Folks who actually build know how huge a deal, effort and about 1,110 little puzzles you over came to build her.

I forget who said it early in this thread but you really have raised the bar.

.flg.

feelyx

Jun 30, 2012
sac. ca 95821
Lurker, You built an awesome bike... Can you describe what the motor feels like in the frame while riding it? Does it want to bounce all over? or is it steady? Do you have to fight any vibration in the turns? and how do I order shirts without facebook?
Thanks

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Lurker, your bike is uber pro. The fact of how and where you made this art, only makes it that much cooler.

I was surprised at some of the comments. I wanted to reply that perhaps folks didn't quite understand what they were viewing. An awesom era replica with the added features of safety and efficiency.

Folks who actually build know how huge a deal, effort and about 1,110 little puzzles you over came to build her.

I forget who said it early in this thread but you really have raised the bar.

.flg.

What he said.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks Dan, that means a lot coming from a moderator.

feelyx- I'm assuming you figured it out. I'm heading out of town tomorrow for the weekend but I'm hoping to get them sent to you before I leave. I just wanted to give you the heads up.

The engine is securely mounted a has very little vibration when riding. I believe this is because it is a twin. The 23hp Briggs is a very well balanced engine, my gx200 bike had way more vibration. Because the engine was never designed to be used in a motorcycle it has a very raw feel to it. Its not like riding any other motorcycle, there is a fear factor that I have not felt on other bikes. You have to be aware of what is going on between your legs because there are so many dangers; weather it be getting you foot caught in a chain or bel or burning you leg on the exhaust. With that said I feel it really invokes the the spirit of the originals and the dangers the riders had to be aware of.

I would love to have someone who owns the real deal ride my bike, just so I can see what there impressions are.

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Lurker..here is a decription of how Larry Barnes rides on one of these machines....

Larry Barnes, describes the experience: "Taking laps on the Excelsior replica was a great 'checkered flag' to top off my 30-year motorcycle racing experience. When it lit up, the roar from the two very short pipes was music. And it handled like being on rails. The only issue was the extreme vibration created by the big twin engine. My glasses were bouncing on my nose so much I couldn't see where I was going at anything over half-throttle. Riding the bike gave me a real appreciation and amazement for what those young men in the board track era must have felt."

...DD

Last edited:

feelyx

Jun 30, 2012
sac. ca 95821
Thanks Dan, that means a lot coming from a moderator.

feelyx- I'm assuming you figured it out. I'm heading out of town tomorrow for the weekend but I'm hoping to get them sent to you before I leave. I just wanted to give you the heads up.

The engine is securely mounted a has very little vibration when riding. I believe this is because it is a twin. The 23hp Briggs is a very well balanced engine, my gx200 bike had way more vibration. Because the engine was never designed to be used in a motorcycle it has a very raw feel to it. Its not like riding any other motorcycle, there is a fear factor that I have not felt on other bikes. You have to be aware of what is going on between your legs because there are so many dangers; weather it be getting you foot caught in a chain or bel or burning you leg on the exhaust. With that said I feel it really invokes the the spirit of the originals and the dangers the riders had to be aware of.

I would love to have someone who owns the real deal ride my bike, just so I can see what there impressions are.
Thanks Lurker.... I received the shirts today, they are Awesome!

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Glad you liked the shirts feelyx.
These engine have tons of after market for them. Yet another reason I chose to use one. I can't imagine what one these would be like souped up, I'm still nervous to ride mine in mostly stock form. Both are good engines in fact I am planning on using one of the 420s for my next build they are a lot cheaper than the v-twins.

dmar, what do you mean you wouldn't want to ride one for more than a few minutes. It is hands down the most fun I have ever had on a bike.

Last edited:

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
LOL, mine is horribly uncomfortable. I have cafe bikes that are not quite as bad but I don't enjoy riding those too much more than for the attention they get - age I guess.
Then again, without the attention, I'd take the climate controlled car every time!
Dave

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Lurker, your creation is BEU-TEEEEE-FULL !!!! NICE JOB!! Congrats on the article on your ride-able art. Even from where I sit the eleven month wait was well worth while. Rick

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
LOL, mine is horribly uncomfortable. I have cafe bikes that are not quite as bad but I don't enjoy riding those too much more than for the attention they get - age I guess.
Then again, without the attention, I'd take the climate controlled car every time!
Dave
Horribly Uncomfortable pretty much sums up my personal reasons for not "board tracking it" any more. 47 year old backs like to stay upright :) They are beautiful to look at though!

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
It's been a long time since I posted any updates with this bike but to be honest I haven't done much with it other than enjoy it. However a few months back I was asked to star in a music video with my v-twin bike, for a new band called Shaky Shrines. The video has not been released yet, but I thought I might share a few stills from it.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Very cool! Videos are fun. My 427 Cobra was supposed to be in a Star Trek Band called "Warp 11" but the scene was too dark to catch the car in the alley. But I was in a wedding scene in it, lol. It's fun being part of small bits of pop culture. Kudos!