How did you get injured on your motorized bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Re: How did you get injured on your motor bike?

I posted this pic of my collar bone back in febuary I never or forgot to elaberated how i did it.
I still remember that day like it was yesterday, except for 2 seconds before it happened.
Riding home from work i stoped in at a servo (gas station) and got some Coke for the fridge 2x2 litre bottles! in the backpack off i ride down the sidewalk of a busy road ironically the sidewalk out the front of the Sydney Coca Cola depo.
I had ridden down that path for weeks cruising at 25kmh i smashed into a 2 1/2 inch steel pole.
The bike hit the pole right on the right hand front brake lever bracket dead in line with my collar bone
and broke the lever and somehow my thumb clutch lever on the other side. i stop by the right side pedal hitting the pole and bending the crank so much that it scraped the frame when pedaled. i was faceing the opposite direction when i stopped Lmao still standing i remember saying as i breathed out "**** that wasnt good"
A guy driving out the driveway opposite me ran over "you alright mate" umm "yeah everything still works but can you help me put my packpack on" He picked my bike up to but it was in gear and the lever was clean snapped off "could you push that arm in please and i can turn the busted lever" off i wobbled. 100 metres bown the road i feel a click crunch snap and i fell off again and i know its busted. Had to walk the bike another kilometre or so with the backpack on the bike.
No pins or surgery! i couldnt eat sleep **** or even sneeze of 3 weeks 99% healed now.
No injuries since (touch wood)

grinNbarritt

Jun 4, 2010
Orcutt CA

Breakin your collarbone sucks! the day the first spaceshuttle blew up, I went over the bars on my kx250, bike stayed between my legs n POUNDED my rt shoulder into a rut...broke bone in 2 places...go to ER... dumb nurse puts brace on me upside down, pulling both shoulders back..that was ruff nite, had to sleep in a bean bag chair. then next day orthopedic Dr tells me i'm a dummy for puttin brace on upside down!...lol Went over bars on mtn bike one nite coming home from work, not payin attn cruzin down along side of railroad tracks.....bam...get up, hmmmm wonder when they put chain across there, wasnt there yesterday.....

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO

The other day, I turned off of the paved street and onto my gravel driveway in such a way that most of the turn occurred on the gravel. The bike went right out from under me to one side. I got a bruised knee and that was about it. The bike had a few minor bends and scratches, all easily fixed. What is worse than that is that later that day I went for a ride with my old man. He has a few motorized bikes too and the one he was on happened to have coaster brakes, which I guess he isn't used to. We came down this hill that has a fun little curve, unfortunately he accidentally locked his rear wheel and before he knew it he was on the side of the road. He scraped up his arm a little, scraped the sh*t out of his knee and bruised it pretty badly. It sucks because his knees have problems already. He got up and rode home, the old hard-ass, but the next day he was hurting. Somehow, there was absolutely no damage to his bike save for a little scrape on the end of one pedal. He is now looking into getting hand brakes for it. ;)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

I was tinkering with the carburetor and got fuel in a fresh knucklebuster.
Not really an injury, but I invented a few new words.

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine

I was going down a hill around 25 mph and I back peddled (coaster brake) to slow for the corner at the bottom. The crank set spit both of my feet off and started spinning in unison with the wheels. I dragged my feet for all I was worth to no avail but I managed to steer it into the soft grassy area to the side. It only banged up my shins and calves some but all I could think about was if I was coming to a busy intersection instead of a deserted bit of road way. The brake arm rounded out and the whole hub UN-threaded itself and snapped the axle inside the hub. I don't know why the wheel didn't spit out from under the bike. I would consider that as a bit of luck!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

Dang! I have never heard of a coaster hub doing that!
You were quite fortunate considering the circumstances.
I hope my Shimano CB-110 never, ever does that!

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA

This happened a few years ago when I was testing my first home built motor bike. I designed it with a 3 HP Briggs to a jack shaft and chain drive to the wheel. I made just about everything on the bike including the brackets that held the rear sprocket to the wheel. Well I was cruising about 25 or so into a sweeping curve just getting real confident about my engineering skills when the rear sprocket cocked enough for the chain to come off and wedge itself in the wheel just enough to lock everything down. I'm sure all of you know the shear panic there is when you know something is not right and you are going to pay for it real soon. Well being in the curve really screwed me on this one, the bike started skidding from side to side in an ever increasingly arcs until it couldn't go any further and just slammed me on the road. Of course I had on shorts and a cut off shirt and sandals. What else would you wear on a maiden voyage? I escaped with road rash and the bike lost a small amount of blood (oil). The funniest thing was one of my neighbors walked over to me about the time I stood up and said "boy I thought you was going to pull out of it for a minute there". I said "ya so did I right before I hit the pavement". Anyway that was the end of the chain drive, I modified it to belt drive the following week. I had to get my van to haul the bike home so I took these pictures of the skid marks, I measured 45 feet before I was slammed. Also note the oil mark where the skid ends....or maybe that's my oil?

Attachments

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world

i have one. i was riding my bike around the track at school testing it out. i had permission from the auto teacher. after one lap doing 50kph some retard came up and threw a back pack at me. front tire mangled and i went over. these pictures are from a week after my wreck. i still have nerve damage from this. the bike was toast, smashed the engine to bits and the front forks were bent in, front tire had folded. i gave up motorized bicycle riding for a year after this
16269_1254053118922_1457387916_727391_3412150_n.jpg

16269_1254053158923_1457387916_727392_6926064_n.jpg

16269_1254053198924_1457387916_727393_3776902_n.jpg

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada

Linnix13, I remember when that happened and often wondered how it turned out.

What happened to the clown that did it, in the end? You were just lucky that it was not a lot worse.

Steve.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world

Linnix13, I remember when that happened and often wondered how it turned out.

What happened to the clown that did it, in the end? You were just lucky that it was not a lot worse.

Steve.
i know im very happy. the clown didnt even get suspended from school! he got detention and that was it. the public school system is just plain stupid

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL

Linnix

They Must Have Called It - Like A Traffic Accident! Imo It Was Assault With Battery Or Attempted Homicide!! A Felony At Least!!! ?? Maybe A Truck Will Run Over It! Ron

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world

Linnix

They Must Have Called It - Like A Traffic Accident! Imo It Was Assault With Battery Or Attempted Homicide!! A Felony At Least!!! ?? Maybe A Truck Will Run Over It! Ron
hahaha yeah i know the whole thing was bull. but that kid will get his one day. and im ok and back to doing what i love, building bikes! so in the end i dont really care. so what if my knees are numb i dont really use them to feel things anyways right?

RusticoRay

Oct 3, 2009
6mi. from the Old North Bridge

0910081023b.jpg I gave up my spot a foot to the left of the white line. It's yours and dont give it up for anyone.
I thought I would be polite and ride as far right as I could and not restrict the traffic flow. Boy was that a wrong move. I broke my collar bone when a overgrown limb grabbed my handlebars and slammed me to the ground at 15mph. Being polite actually allowed the driver to leave no room to move and he didnt stop, so much for courtesy.
I spent fifteen days in the hospital before my cheast cavity would completely drain. Walked around with a small suitcase and two tubes draining some nasty stuff from my chest. All that before they would even consider working on my broken collar bone. The pain medication was good though. I had to wrap myself up as not to get the dressing wet, notice the right collar bone sticking up. That was in between the two surgerys. NEVER GIVE THE RODE AWAY EVER.EVER.

Attachments

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA

umm do i have to answer this?lol

this is one thread i never ever ever want to post in, besides now. Darn it this is bad luck.
So ill be back soon :D.

Sam

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia

View attachment 26485 I gave up my spot a foot to the left of the white line. It's yours and dont give it up for anyone.
I thought I would be polite and ride as far right as I could and not restrict the traffic flow. Boy was that a wrong move. I broke my collar bone when a overgrown limb grabbed my handlebars and slammed me to the ground at 15mph. Being polite actually allowed the driver to leave no room to move and he didnt stop, so much for courtesy.
I spent fifteen days in the hospital before my cheast cavity would completely drain. Walked around with a small suitcase and two tubes draining some nasty stuff from my chest. All that before they would even consider working on my broken collar bone. The pain medication was good though. I had to wrap myself up as not to get the dressing wet, notice the right collar bone sticking up. That was in between the two surgerys. NEVER GIVE THE RODE AWAY EVER.EVER.

Welcome to the collar bone crew! yeh i got a few post in here.