For Old Guys Only

GoldenMotor.com

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
My father was a math teacher . Until the day he retired in 1986 he used a "slide rule" to figure out all of his marks and did all math on it . Slide rules were allowed in class . Calculators were not . ... D.J.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool Ilikea! Are those akin to the old "Make and Brake" engines, some times called "one lungers" ? (Where the RPM is governed by flywheel speed giving her a very unique sound) Either way, I want one! Just to cool.

Can find some for sale from the late 1800, early 1900's that were used as industrial and farm utility engines in northern New England.

I worked on a ship that had one for hauling sail & anchor. It's name is "Edwin and Maude" Named after the original Capt.'s daughters. The serial number was 003 or seven. I forget. Pictured top rt. http://www.victorychimes.com/historic-photos.html

Those engines sound so good they lull you to an almost hypnotic, sleep state. Even the big 'ol one on that ship. They are just awesome.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Dan, some folks call them a hit and miss engine. And you are correct, rpm regulated by the ignition. This one is a one lunger, but he also has a two that I think he is going to restore. He wants to make the this one turn an ice cream freezer.....Bob

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
My father was a math teacher . Until the day he retired in 1986 he used a "slide rule" to figure out all of his marks and did all math on it . Slide rules were allowed in class . Calculators were not . ... D.J.

My dad probably still has a box full of these, and old graphing calculators, and scientific calculators. He learned to do CAD before he retired.

He was a draftsman and a mechanical engineer in the days of slide rules and T-squares, protractors and french curves, drafting mylar and ammonia blueprints. I remember those days more fondly than he does for some reason. He seemed glad to see the CAD.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
COOL! I forgot "Hit or Miss"

Thanks Ilikea.

Saw one for sale at an antique shop in Maine a while back. I forget what they wanted but one of those things you regret for ever, for not buying. Was like $200 and could run a small sawmill. Just hope it didn't end up scraped!

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Love those old motors! We have an old gent by us who often has hit and miss motors in his little shop. He fixs stuff like hand shaved bearings and animal fat oilers . Every year in sauk county wisconsin they hold and antique farming imp. Show ,thats a must see if you like the old stuff.
Dan she is very varr...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thursday in manufacturing, we were shown how to program our supplied calculators. I am not kidding, it has 26 buttons besides what you would expect and a 4 way mouse sort of thing. If you hit the wrong button it gives you some sort of NASA style hieroglyphics in a language from a long, long time ago in a far off galaxy.

It is a "Casio fx-300 ES PLUS" THE "PLUS" IS FOR CONFUSION

Har!....and I miscounted. it has 28 buttons. (Yes I am having trouble in math. Why do you ask? snork)

.laff

Attachments

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Tom, my flight instructor was very upset when I got an electronic E6B. He argued with me about how it was slower than analog E6B. He challenged me to a competition figuring crosswind components. Of course I smoked him. Then I ask him if we could figure weight and balance and see which was faster. He gave me the finger...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom, my flight instructor was very upset when I got an electronic E6B. He argued with me about how it was slower than analog E6B. He challenged me to a competition figuring crosswind components. Of course I smoked him. Then I ask him if we could figure weight and balance and see which was faster. He gave me the finger...
I knew an old CFI who would not allow anything battery powered. He said, "yeah, they might be faster but what are you going to do when the battery goes dead?" He would never let his students use anything but the old E6 if they wanted him to sign off.

Tom

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
This is absolutely true; if the technology fails in flight, and you have no back up, you are up to your neck in bottomless dudu.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Stupid Kids:
I just saw a sad story on local news. Six teenagers killed in a one car crash. Of course the ignorant anchor man had to say something stupid, "The car lost control". Not the dummy driving, not the inept moron behind the wheel, "The car lost control." Yeah, right.
My first thought was, "what a stupid kid. No driving ability, no common sense, just a car and five friends and obviously doing something stupid."

Then a memory came to me. Something we did as kids, high school age, ignorant, stupid and invulnerable. Isn't everyone at that age?

I gew up in south Florida, spent some time in the south/central part of the state where there were sugar cane fields. Sugar cane can grow to 8 to 10 feet high and very dense. The cane fields were divided off into 1/4 mile square grids. Dirt roads surrounded each square with four way intersections at each corner. We used to go into those fields, especially on full moon nights and play what we called Russian Roulett with our cars.

Three, four, five or more cars would all start from one four way intersection. Each car would alternately take a different direction. One left, one right, one straight ahead and then left again depending on how many 'players' were in on the game. Obviously the more cars, the more dangerous the game was.

The idea was to run without headlights and drive as fast as you could on the dirt roads blasting though the four way intersections which due to the height of the cane, were blind intersections. The potential for a high speed 'T' bone crash was ever present.

We never had a crash. Had a few close calls, which we laughed about later at the A&W Root Beer Stand, but we all survived our, STUPIDITY.
We were the lucky ones. The six kids killed yesterday weren't so fortunate.

Tom

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Are you talking about those kids near Warren? Yes, it happens all the time. Jumping railroad track, speeding, screwing around...doesn't always include alcohol. I does almost always include youth.

We used to stand up in the back of a pick up truck and the guy driving would go 80-100...on A DIRT ROAD.

Lots of other dumb stuff we did, and lived to tell about it somehow.