Fasteddy in hospital...

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Once again we wish you the very best, Steve. Please keep us informed and know we're all pulling for you, friend.
Maybe this time they'll get it right?

Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Tom,

Thank you. I'm in the best hands possible now I think. Vancouver General Hospital is a teaching hospital so they tend to get the best and brightest with the newest ideas.
They tend to take the toughest case that the other doctors don't want.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi bluegoatwoods,

The doctors that run the clinic invented the temporary antibiotic dispensing replacement knee. Otherwise it is a cement block with the antibiotic mixed in as a spacer and no knee joint for 6-8 weeks and I'm flat on my back.

I didn't hear the Angels sing when I heard that.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Mr. B,

I just played that again and I'm still laughing. I think with all the operations and the pending ones as well as the doctors visits I may well be on the way to being there.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Mongollonmonster,

Thank you for the kind words. At the moment the porch is pretty comfortable and I get to yell encouragement as the pups go by. :)

With luck I'll be back in the fray early next year.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Silverbear,

I have an appointment on Thursday at the hospital. Ultra Sound and it looks like the old turkey meets the marinading needle again as they take samples. At least this time there is going to be freezing before they plow the damned thing into me.

The helpful young lady who called with the appointment time mentioned operation so there may be more to this than I know. I may painfully aware of what's going on Thursday night. They said I'd need someone to drive me home. Usually not a good sign.

When I'm there I'll ask more about the recovery time once they are all done. They said a year but I'll ask just when I can resume "normal" activities. There is no need to mention that they are 2,000 miles away and involve bicycles at the Bicycle Camp in the Birches by the Bay 2016.

The only problem that I can see is that if it all comes loose, and they do, I'll be in very deep water. There is a better chance of me waking up one morning looking like Marilyn Monroe did when she was 25 than there being a successful 5th operation.

Since there is bone loss when they pull the current knee loose they cement the next permanent one in so I was told. Everything is longer to reach a fresh landing area and the cement fills in the voids.

As you can imagine the Fasteddy section of the poor, reduced, thought factory slipped the surly bonds of reality and took off like a rabbit with a fox after it when cement was mentioned. Visions of a miniature cement mixer quietly whirring away on a side table with a dish of powder piled in front of it and the appropriate liquid close by came first then Medical J-B Weld appeared. Bone coloured of course.

Perhaps epoxy, well mixed, or Medical Crazy Glue would be the choice. I'll have to ask.

The journey continues.

Steve.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
As you know I'm not a fan of JB Weld so I'm concerned about the succes of this procedure. I'd opt for re-threading or heli-coils. Much more permanent repair. :)

Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Tom,

Your right of course. I'll ask them to make a note of the preference on my chart. Maybe I'll take a pocket full of different sizes to the hospital as well as the proper taps just in case they run out.

Better make sure that they are stainless steel since I'm rusty enough as it is.

Steve.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just so you, Steve!

"My brother and I looked at each other and tried not to start laughing because the last thing I said as we walked into the office is that's all I would need to hear is him say that."

Cracked me up!

Heal fast and well....

Dan
(the other brother, Dan)

Last edited: